Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Horsepower/torque gain for touring slip-ons (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/289626-horsepower-torque-gain-for-touring-slip-ons.html)

tommyj 10-28-2008 08:41 PM

Horsepower/torque gain for touring slip-ons

Have any of the bike magazines done a horsepower/torque gain test for any of our touring bikes? I remember Motorcycle Cruiser doing one for the Yamaha Roadstar back around 2000. They took each aftermarket exhaust system and dyno'ed the bike and published the HP/torque gain or loss. The bike dynoed was a stock machine and some of the systems actually lost HP/torque. This would be a great job for one of our Bagger magazines.

jkoch09ultra 10-29-2008 05:08 AM

I put Rush slipons on my 09 Ultra after riding it stock for 1,000 miles. I was amazed at the improvement with I added the mufflers, SE AC and stage 1 download. Really pulls now and has plenty of top end torque when in 6th gear. Best money I spent.

Raaze07 10-29-2008 05:28 AM

Hot Bike Baggers ran just such a test on an '07 touring bike, but I haven't seen anything since. Based on their results I went ahead and bought the SuperTrapp SE slip ons that are on my Street Glide.

The Old Man 10-29-2008 05:39 AM

Check out this article. Might give you some hints.......

never mind . Bad link!!

nvsteve 10-29-2008 06:57 AM

One of the mags did a test about a year and a half ago on 6 or 8 slipons.
The Supertrapp SE's were at or near the top in sound, tq, and hp.
I had already purchased another brand, however.
Stage 1 with a tuner should net you about 15% more hp, 10% more tq.
That's what it is on my 07 and seems to be consistent with others.

Windup08 10-29-2008 07:04 AM

I went with the Vance and Hines slip-ons, SE A/C and SERT and got just over 16% gain in hp and just under 16% gain in tq....that was with a dyno tune. One of the techs at my shop said I might have gotten just a bit more with the Supertrapp's, but I liked the sound of the V&H better.

jcbpa 10-29-2008 10:45 AM

Nothing worked for me. Tried the SE slip ons and a tune... nothing really helpful. Now when I changed the entire bike around... that worked... :)

MNPGRider 10-29-2008 11:26 AM

The nightrider sight has all kinds of reports on different combinations. They like Khrome Werks slip ons, which I have also seen mentioned in various articles.

iclick 10-29-2008 03:47 PM

Generally you'll get the best HP/TQ gains with either a 2-into-1 system or Fuel Moto's Jackpot mufflers. The latter uses stock head pipes, and with a PCIII, Jamie's map, and a FM AC may be the best bang for the buck available. It is much cheaper than a 2-into-1 system and has a nice, deep tone that doesn't wear on you or drown out the radio.

True duals will hurt both HP and TQ numbers, but some prefer their stereophonic sound qualities.

jeepmanjeff 10-29-2008 08:10 PM

I just did Rineharts Stage I and Air cleaner. Got it back 2 days ago and tinight I finally ran it hard and WOW what a diffference!

Getting on the highway I was doing 70 in 3rd gear in a split second it seemed. Much better performance than my 06 RG ever had and I had stage I, air cleaner and V&H True Dual longshots.