Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike Cost Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
Dealers in FL can't negotiate the ESP pricing...it's the law (unfortunately). If you live in FL and want the ESP, try buying the warranty from an out of state dealer.

Harry
Not sure what ESP pricing is, but dealers can sell their bikes for any price they want to, above or below HD's "suggested" MSRP.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Harley dealers are a bit guided by the MoCo on prices and will not lower unless its across the board. Seems the price on V Rods was lowered by about $1000.00 a few years after they came out. There are plenty enough people willing and able to pay the asking price. If they compromise or give you a "bargain" it cheapens their image. Just my two cents worth. Seems what they will do at times is knock off prep fees etc...or throw in a free service or jacket maybe. I got $500.00 in "biker bucks " with my 07. Good luck.

Last edited by tmblweed; 10-29-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Default ESP Pricing

I believe he is referring to the cost of the Extended Service Plan which, if it is like the auto indusrty, is a big source of extra profit for the dealer. So, they have room to discount it, though apparently this is not allowed in Florida.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM
KBrown53
Road Captain

I have been shopping around and have found a couple things of interest:

- there is a local dealer in Southern Ohio that will order a bike that you spec out, for $500 below MSRP, no dealer set up fees.

- another local dealer here told me that there is some kind of HD sponsored incentive coming out soon, but he had no details what it would be - ie discount, extras, special financing, etc... so stand by on that one.

With HD financial performance and the economy in the tank, things should be moving in favor of the buyer.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBrown53
I have been shopping around and have found a couple things of interest:

- there is a local dealer in Southern Ohio that will order a bike that you spec out, for $500 below MSRP, no dealer set up fees.

- another local dealer here told me that there is some kind of HD sponsored incentive coming out soon, but he had no details what it would be - ie discount, extras, special financing, etc... so stand by on that one.

With HD financial performance and the economy in the tank, things should be moving in favor of the buyer.
I'm real interested in the incentive you mention, my bike is due in around Thanksgiving, any idea if it'll be announced by then?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:24 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by ArgyleRider
It was suggested that I re-post this here instead of the New Member forum. I am hoping that it woudl be of interest to anyone buying a new bike.

This will be my first Harley (after 40 years of riding other stuff).

I have decided on a '09 Road King Classic, in turquoise and antique white. ABS, security system, removable passenger backrest and luggage rack. I'm undecided on swapping out the speedo for a combination speedo/tach unit at great expense. I will be putting down a deposit on the bike this weekend.

My question, (thanks for having read this far) is "How flexible should I expect the dealer to be on the price?"

I know HD is hurting for sales and I know the used market is pretty,um, generous at the moment. But I don't have a feel for how much markup a dealer has in the MSRP. For cars and trucks, there is Edmunds and KBB which can give you dealer cost on a new vehicle. I have found used bike values, but not for new.

Anyone have any info of use?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary,
I see that you are in So. Cal. so I actually do have a bit of good advice. I happen to know for a fact that Laidlaw Harley is selling At or Below MSRP. This comes from a VERY, VERY reliable source. My advice would be that they will deal but wouldn't expect miricle's too far below MSRP.
If I were in the market I would be there in a flash.

I have a RKC and neither I nor anyone I know uses a tach. even on the bikes that have one. I have also been riding for about as long as you and have always felt that seat of the pants and experience with your bike is the best indicator. I think I would save the $$$ for the seat and handlebars your gonna want (need). I don't know too many RK owners that haven't changed both.

Last edited by scg1953; 10-29-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:33 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Purchased a 2009 Road Glide a few short weeks ago (below) and the Dealer discounted off the MSRP to the tune of almost $1000, plus they waived any delivery or set up fees ($900 at some other local stealers) because I purchased 5 additional years of Factory HD warranty for $1500. (Now have a total of seven years facory warranty.) Yes, $1000, he didn't charge me for the "color" used the black MSRP and then knocked off about 500 more still. I am a happy camper!

Keep moving till you find a sane dealer to work with. It took me 3 dealers to find the one that I purchased from. Plus, the bike was not stock for him, he located one for me even though I was not in a rush to take delivery. I would have waited months for the bike but they were great.
Mills Harley Davidson in Burlington, NJ - ask for Bob (anyone interested.) Great people!

Last edited by RODEO; 10-29-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by Peppa1
Not sure what ESP pricing is, but dealers can sell their bikes for any price they want to, above or below HD's "suggested" MSRP.
+1, No matter what a dealer tells you they have the right to sell you one for $5.00 or $50.000.00, if they want to. Otherwise it's considered Price Fixing and that IS against the law

Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scg1953
+1, No matter what a dealer tells you they have the right to sell you one for $5.00 or $50.000.00, if they want to. Otherwise it's considered Price Fixing and that IS against the law
Correct! to tell you anything else is bullshi-t..

Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Correct! to tell you anything else is bullshi-t..
Or in other words PROFIT.

Quick Reply: New Bike Cost Info