Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front fender rail and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Removing front fender rail and bumper

I was looking through the service manual but couldn't find specific instructions for removing the front fender rail and bumper on a Classic or Ultra. Any tips or can someone point out where it is in the service manual.

Also in regards to the rear bumper and rail. That requires a saddlebag to fender bracket correct????

Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I did both and didn't use a manual. It was awhile ago but I seem to remember that it was a pretty straight forward task. I did install the rear bag brace too but I rode for months without it.

Last edited by soos; 11-02-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

The rear brace is required for the removal of the rear rail isn't it??? I think it is the same one that is on the RG.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Removal of the front rail and bumper is straight forward, but before you spend money on the support bracket to remove the rear bumper, think about which direction you may want to go with your rearend...LOL....not YOUR rearend, but your bike's rearend.....ie...do you want to go with a Streetglide rear fender and fascia setup or do you want to use the saddlebag filler strips and then use the Tribar light kit?

Here is a pic of mine with the Tribar light setup:

Having the Chrome Tribar light setup painted to the color of your bike would look even sweeter IMO.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

I know I won't be going with the SG fascia. Probably just stick with the stock LED fender tip light (hope they come out with a smoke lens) for now and maybe get filler strips. I would need the support bracket going that direction correct???

Also thought about the tri-bar light but they don't make it for the 09 wider fender yet.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:56 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Monstermile
I know I won't be going with the SG fascia. Probably just stick with the stock LED fender tip light (hope they come out with a smoke lens) for now and maybe get filler strips. I would need the support bracket going that direction correct???

Also thought about the tri-bar light but they don't make it for the 09 wider fender yet.

My bad.....I forgot you've moved up to the east side of town now.....LOL. I'm still a narrow azz. You're a fatazz now.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a LED fender rail to replace the stock bumper and chrome. All you have to remember is how the fender tip was taken off and you MUST remove the front wheel to get the little brackets. bitch to get off but a small screwdriver to start them helps, I think its a 3/8's bolt and this is also holding the Front fender Classic or Ultra pieces on. after you take off the front whell it will get alot easier

Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Edit: THE '09 ELECTRA GLIDE DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY ADDITIONAL PARTS IF THE CHROME/RUBBER REAR BUMPER IS REMOVED.

Shoot Dawg a PM and ask him to check the parts book; it will show the parts for the EG, SG, RG, etc.; and, if there is a bracket for the SG and RG, he can give you the part no.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-25-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Info on '09 models
Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The front bumper is easy to remove. You have to remove the front fender bolts in the forks, and then there is one nut in the center/front of the fender. Undo those 3, the bumper will come off, then put the 2 fender bolts back in and tighten them down.

Not sure with the '09s if you need some kind of bracket in the rear or not........on my '05 I did, it's like $40 at the dealer and it makes everything solid again.

Steve

Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Removed both on my 08 Ultra. took me about 30 minutes total, with no other parts needed.

Rear is simple, one nut under it on the inside of the fender, and 2 on each side on the saddlebag support.

Front was a bit tougher, one nut on the inside front, and one on each side of the fork (from the inside) Careful here, these bolt heads are Hexagon, and the braket is bent to prevent them from turning on thier own. You must bend the braket corners away from the bolt in order to remove.

Quick Reply: Removing front fender rail and bumper