Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP

Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Very nice write-up SNS! Good job.

It's nice to see V&H now ships the Torca Clamps. The clamp that came with my Ovals were useless.

I know you can't see it with the bags on, but cutting the heat shield away like that for fitment bothers me. For what you pay for these mufflers I think they could have done a better job and retained the full heat shield. JMO.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice info. These pipes will be on my next ride.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:34 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the great DIY. I see that V&H finally got smart and started putting HD clamps in their kits. They used to use some really cheesy clamps. Good job V&H!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Rusty762
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsters with ness extended saddlebags

Thanks for the video on the MO's install.

I have an 09 Road Glide and am looking for a set of pipes that will work with my Arlen Ness extended saddlebags. The MO's look like they might be too big, anyone tried this yet?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride review

Now for a quick "ride review"..

Took the bike out for the first time with the MOs installed this morning and did about 100 miles on all kinds of roads, but mostly 50 mph country winders.

I can say this about these mufflers. For those of you who are really into touring and dont want loud pipes, then these mufflers are NOT for you. These mufflers are loud in my opinion, granted a nice deep rumble loud but loud just the same. The videos (mine and others I have seen) do not manage to pick up the volume that come from these mufflers. Two bikes ago I had a set of V&H Big Shots on my bike at that time and these MOs kind of remind me of that, albeit not as obnoxious.

These are borderline stereo friendly in my opinion and you need to keep the RPMs correct to hear that suttle thumpin' going on, instead of the louder low pitched growl.

So, basically if you are a multi day tourer, these mufflers may not be for you however if you are really more of a multi use "cruiser" who likes to have a bit louder sound, then you may love these mufflers. I must say that the stock 2009 touring mufflers are probably ideal for those interested in nice sounding touring mufflers. Keep an eye towards ebay and other places for both used sets of stock 2009 mufflers as well as slightly used sets of Monster Ovals too from those who found them too loud for their liking. (And I'm willing to bet that some will.)

As for me, I was a bit surprised just how loud these really are but I like them and will keep them on. If I were doing more touring, I probably wouldn't keep them on though. Great sounding mufflers!

Just my 2 cents....

Old 11-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

SNS- thanks for the additional comments following your road test. Now I'm debating as to whether these might be too loud for me. I had a set of V&H Oval Slip-Ons a couple of years ago that I had to remove because on an all-day ride they just seemed to "drone" and the sound became fatiguing. The Monster Ovals that I heard were definitely deeper in tone that the Oval Slip-Ons, but it sounds like to you they are still a bit loud to tour with. I'm interested to hear your comments after a few weeks. I wonder if these will get louder as the packing settles down like a lot of pipes do...

Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Pastor John and appreciate your honest opinion on the volume of sound with the Monster Ovals; as you say "they might be for everyone", especially for those who like to go on long runs. I'm currently running a set of Harley Touring Mufflers, but would like a little more rumble and looking at the Fuelmoto/Rush modification.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Nice looking pipes.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

great write up and videos, thanks for sharing, looks they were made for that bike great choice

Last edited by leohd; 11-09-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:48 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by billybobsrk
I agree with Pastor John and appreciate your honest opinion on the volume of sound with the Monster Ovals; as you say "they might be for everyone", especially for those who like to go on long runs. I'm currently running a set of Harley Touring Mufflers, but would like a little more rumble and looking at the Fuelmoto/Rush modification.
Billy,

I tried to reply to your PM, but it says your not accepting PMs, so here is my reply:

I dont think you would have to wear earplugs. I think you will find the MO's are quite a bit quieter than your prev mufflers, as I HAVE heard those on bikes before, and they are a bit on the loud side (to me).

I think the MO's are the ONLY ones I have ever heard, that still sound good and are not too loud. I tried the current 4" SE street legal pipes on my 07, and found them to be too quiet, and "farty" sounding. (no offense to those who like them)

The monsters are NOT EPA legal soundwise, but (IMHO) pretty close. I DO think, that the only way to get any quieter mufflers, is to go with EPA sound legal choices. At least thats my opinion based on the one I have heard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V&H Monster Oval Install STEP BY STEP