Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put 180 tire on 08 SG today

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Put 180 tire on 08 SG today

Started the 180 install today, pictures will follow as well as a full documentation as to how to install. Its winter here, my shop is heated, b-inlaw that is the machinest says lets do it. Today I installed a Metzler 180/70/16 on my 08 SG, with my 1" lowering blocks too! Had to remove the plastic lower belt guard...it may or may not end up on the bike at final. Tire is on a 5 1/2" wheel, clears the side of the stock fender by about 1/8". Really should have a 60 series tire from Metzler because tire will be closer to stock overall height, and is very close to the same width as the 70 series. That said I am going with the new Dunlop D407 that HD places on the new 09 SE RG, its a 5 1/2" wheel based, 180/55/18......18" wheel. The reason I am doing the 18" is because I like the looks of the new Dunlop D407, 55 series side wall, overall height of tire is actually a little taller than the stock tire and about the same overall width of the Metzler 180. Tommorow I order a rear 5 1/2" x 18" forged polished wheel blank and a front 3 1/2" x 18" forged polished wheel blank. The front tire will be the same as the 09 SE RG also, its a 130/70/18. Stay tuned, as I will post follow up's to this thread.

Last edited by timberland; 12-06-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Nice project you got going there, timberland. I've got an 180 on my 2000 Flhtc and in the process of going from a 180 Metz to a 180/65-16 Dunlop like on the 09's. The Dunlop is a little shorter tire, hope to get to lower the bike now, had problems with the tall 180/70-16 Metz hitting the fender when lowered. Also, got only about 6-7K with this tire. Hoping the Dunlop does better. This Dunlop is alittle wider tho, gotta do some spacer magic to get the belt to clear. I'm in Michigan too, where abouts are you? Thumb area here. Ray Van in Richmond's been doing my wide tire mods, guy can do anything! Good luck!
Jerry

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time

Jerry, I am in Jackson. B- inlaw can machine anything, he has HASS cnc mills , lathes, all the toys. He has done a 180, actually thats his tire and wheel on my SG from his 02 Super Glide, big 116 ci, high hp... he still likes to eat bugs, his Dads 01 Duece has a 180..no windshield either, like father like son...bug eater, a friend of ours we just put a 180/60/16 on his 07 FLH police bike, it was just in the magazines this summer, about a dozen front and rear wheel projects, lots of handle bar risers, shift linkages etc. My front wheel will be as cool, it will be contrast cut, with hard coat black and aluminum.

65 series?? 60's do work. Go to dunlops web site and check out the heights vs widths vs load ratings. We wear out the Dunlop and Metzler tire catalogs around here...as you know.... thousandth's count.

Last edited by timberland; 11-16-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

So...I'm putting a 200 on my '09 in a few weeks!!!

LOL Just messing with you. I think it's awesome that a few of you are squeezing a 180 on the pre-'09s. I still have my '08 and would be doing the same thing if I didnt get the '09. I'm sure alot will follow suit as soon as you post your documentation...I know would.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by timberland
Jerry, I am in Jackson. B- inlaw can machine anything, he has HASS cnc mills , lathes, all the toys. He has done a 180, actually thats his tire and wheel on my SG from his 02 Super Glide, big 116 ci, high hp... he still likes to eat bugs, his Dads 01 Duece has a 180..no windshield either, like father like son...bug eater, a friend of ours we just put a 180/60/16 on his 07 FLH police bike, it was just in the magazines this summer, about a dozen front and rear wheel projects, lots of handle bar risers, shift linkages etc. My front wheel will be as cool, it will be contrast cut, with hard coat black and aluminum.

65 series?? 60's do work. Go to dunlops web site and check out the heights vs widths vs load ratings. We wear out the Dunlop and Metzler tire catalogs around here...as you know.... thousandth's count.
Yah, I was gonna go with the 60 series tire until HD came out with the Dunlop 65. I didn't quite want a lower profile tire cause the front was still a 16. The 65 was right inbetween and had a huge load rating to boot. I've been researching the tire websites too. The specs are pretty close to what they say they are. Had Dunlop send the specs to me as it's not on the website yet. Good luck, and make sure to post pics!

brypink, I love those 09's! Wish I could get one, and I'd have an easy 200 too! Love what they did to the rear fender area. Maybe next year.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry L; 11-17-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 PM
timberland
Road Master
Default Update on tires

I found out that Dunlop and HD have some kind of pact going. Seems that I can not get the D407's from just anyone, only through a HD dealer...our stealer wants MSRP for tires, I told them I'll pass. Wouldn't of ticked me off except stealer IS where I bought the bike from. At that time they said for 2 years I can get 15% off parts and accessories, now they say the "policy" changed and its on any parts except maintenance parts and tires are "maintenance". B.S. I called an independant shop. He has a "in" with another dealership that sells parts at 15% under MSRP, he said he passes along the savings to his customers. So, tires should be here b4 the wheels, wheel blanks ship in 2 days, according to Kim at All American Wheel.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry who rear fender is that it looks awsome.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

I agree, Timberland, that's BS. I bought my tire from the HD shop when they had a 25% off sale for Hog members so I didn't even check around to see if anyone could get it for me. Good luck.
MassHD, that's a Fatbaggers rear fender with the cateye light and the license frenched into it. Bought the fender and had Ray Van modify it. Thanks for the compliment.
Jerry

Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Hey, Timberland, was wondering about those wheel blanks you're getting. Will they sell you just the blanks, and you can cut them how you want? I'd like to get some more info on that All American Wheel if you could. I'd be interested in doing a front wheel for mine in a 17 or 18". Thanks!
Jerry

Old 11-20-2008, 02:35 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
Nice project you got going there, timberland. I've got an 180 on my 2000 Flhtc and in the process of going from a 180 Metz to a 180/65-16 Dunlop like on the 09's. The Dunlop is a little shorter tire, hope to get to lower the bike now, had problems with the tall 180/70-16 Metz hitting the fender when lowered. Also, got only about 6-7K with this tire. Hoping the Dunlop does better. This Dunlop is alittle wider tho, gotta do some spacer magic to get the belt to clear. I'm in Michigan too, where abouts are you? Thumb area here. Ray Van in Richmond's been doing my wide tire mods, guy can do anything! Good luck!
Jerry
Hey Jerry, I see you put the 180 on a 2000. I've got a 2000 RK that I'd love to put a 180 on the rear, but I really thought it would break the bank. Would you mind sharing some specifics on prices and mods to get that big boy on. You can PM me if easier. Thanks a lot...

Quick Reply: Put 180 tire on 08 SG today