Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   09' low-speed handling question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/296497-09-low-speed-handling-question.html)

Tony P 11-26-2008 10:02 AM

09' low-speed handling question

I know there's going to be a huge difference in weight between my Dyna Super Glide and a Road King. Since I've not had the opportunity to test drive an RK my question is - how much difference between the two in low-speed cornering? I've read that the new touring models turn on a dime for their size. Does the fatter front tire on the RK help or hinder?

FastHoss 11-26-2008 10:10 AM

Opinions are like ass holes everyone has one.Test ride the bikes yourself,it's the only sure way to tell.I've noticed on here ,five people can have a different take on the same product,all that matters is what you think.

robbie52 11-26-2008 10:15 AM

Just don't look down, keep it moving when the bars are turned, and stay away from front brake. Enjoy the new ride.

timvan 11-26-2008 10:38 AM

I noticed my UC is much easier to manuver slowly after changing the throttle blade settings to act more like cabled bike

CruzN 11-26-2008 10:54 AM

Slow turns

I have an 09 FLHT and it turns on a dime.
I bought 'Ride Like a Pro' DVD and it has some good tips on slow turns.
Ride the clutch, keep the rpm's up, and some press on the rear brake.
I was amazed how the tips really helped me.
I'd been riding for 40 years and it took me three lanes to do a u turn
till I watched this DVD. With a little practice I can do the tightest u turns without putting my foot down.

I know most guys say I've been riding for year and know how to ride.
But this really helped me.

Tony P 11-26-2008 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by robbie52 (Post 4162657)
Just don't look down, keep it moving when the bars are turned, and stay away from front brake. Enjoy the new ride.

Amen! I saw a buddy drop his new SG when he grabbed a handfull of front brake in a parking lot while trying to back it into a parking space. On my Dyna, I can get away with that mistake 'cause it's lighter...

bigskyhd 11-26-2008 11:13 AM

Good advise on the DVD... Practice is all you need on the big ones. But it needs to be practice doing things the right way. Very easy to make the same mistakes over and over, and then muscle memory just kicks in. Low speeds stay away from that front brake. Go for a test ride, and one more important thing is to look where you want to go, NOT where you're going. Once you've conquered this, you'll be fine. Some folks have a hard time with a very simple principle. Good Luck and let us know.

barjbar 11-26-2008 11:35 AM

The "Ride Like a Pro" is the best learning source I've ever had. Well worth the money.

glebo 11-26-2008 11:40 AM

I went from a dyna to a road king. Takes a bit of getting used to, but slow speed turning I think is easier on my RK. I think it's got to do with frame/steering head geometry.

EDIT: I've actually been able to turn it with the bars all the way to the stops on several occasions.

MIbagger 11-26-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by timvan (Post 4162725)
I noticed my UC is much easier to manuver slowly after changing the throttle blade settings to act more like cabled bike

Timvan what is involved in changing the throttle blade settings and did you have to have the dealer do that?