Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   EFI to carb conversion ?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/297826-efi-to-carb-conversion.html)

budzilla 12-02-2008 05:00 PM

EFI to carb conversion ??

Thinking about converting my 07 RKC to carb . Tired of the hassle with the EFI , going to go to a Mikuni and Accell ign . If anyone else has done this , please give me shout . Thanks

bubbabear 12-02-2008 05:32 PM

Has anyone else had a "hassle" with EFI?

molsen 12-02-2008 05:39 PM

I thought the same thing when I converted from carb to efi. I had a 98 evo RK with a MIK 42 and had branch heads with a woods cam, etc. When I first got my 07 RG I had a sharp learning curve. But now, I must say I understand a lot more. PM me I will try to help as best as I can. If I cannot help you, I know many that can. Hang in there.

As far as I know there is no "plug and play" conversion for there is the crank sensor, 02s Map, IAT, ECT, and other variables. Maybe a '06 carb module. Not sure.

HB 12-02-2008 07:05 PM

Get rid of the f/p and have fuel moto set you up with the PC III. Mine ran much much better. The boss at work became a believer when he took it out for a ride after the 30 sec. install.

xxxflhrci 12-02-2008 07:20 PM

I agree. Loose the fool pak and get one of the better tuners.

leohd 12-02-2008 09:14 PM

I would much rather have a carb also. after a injector wire failing then some temp sensor bs. can't fix nothing on the side of the road with FI. never had a problem with a carburetor failing.

JayStronghawk 12-02-2008 09:28 PM

Well thanks for the tips there anyway just got an 08 and never had EFI on a Bike before so I guess it's gonna be sink or swim ... Although heard from many already either go with PCIII or Thundermax for the right perfomance...

budzilla 12-02-2008 09:46 PM

Oh Crap

Well OK , guess I 'll dump the Fuelpak and go with a T/Max W/Auto tune . Always had better luck with carbs but its time to step into the 21st century , thats a frightening thought ! Thanks for the input ..

Klinger 12-03-2008 05:10 AM

I, too, was a bit suspicious of the EFI when I bought my injected '99 Road King a bit over a year ago. After a bumpy start with an idle problem, a bit of heartache and more than a few dollars on parts & labour I finally found someone who could tune the damn thing & haven't looked back. Goes great! Only problem I can see is if it stops and it's not something real simple, then it's off to the garage .... nothing much you can do without a computer and a good operator (for both diagnostics and repair). Overall, I now like the reliability and management options you get with EFI.

Northside 12-03-2008 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by budzilla (Post 4186393)
Thinking about converting my 07 RKC to carb . Tired of the hassle with the EFI , going to go to a Mikuni and Accell ign . If anyone else has done this , please give me shout . Thanks

No I haven't done this. I would instead sell the F.I. bike and buy an '02 carbed bike. You have the advantage of easily installing the Mikuni, having a better crank assembly, and of course, the Timkin bearings on the sprocket shaft. Install geardrive cams and you have a near bulletproof bike. The '02 has the improved swing arm too. You lose cubic inches going from 96" to 88'" but a big bore kit fixes that.

I have an '07 F.I. Streetglide with 103' and Race Tuner. I also kept my '02 carbed, big bore, gear drive bike with a S.E. 6-speed, because I think it's the best of all Harleys. The Streetglide if a great bike too, and hasn't let me down. I just feel the '02 never will.