Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Big bore kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

To answer fgunnr's question, the Stage II 103" kit with the 255 cams does not require a SERT or SEST it only requires a download to the ECM that comes on the bike. It's a canned map. That being said, a lot of people still recommend getting a SERT, SEST, Fuel Pak or PCV and have it dyno tuned for best performance. They just picked up my Street Glide this morning to install the kit. Won't be able to report on how well it works until spring though.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 589 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by dlrshort
Have any of you noticed that the harley catalog is a little unclear about the contents of the kit? I could have sworn that when I ordered the kit, SE mufflers were included in the kit. After going through all the parts the dealer took off in the trailer, I didn't see the stock pipes with the other stock parts. I returned to the dealer and they told me that only the headers were replaced not the mufflers. On the '08 and earlier models, the mufflers were part of the kit and not the headers, according to the dealer. The bike runs a whole lot better and sounds better too, even with the stock pipes, IMO. So, all's well that ends well.

The kit comes with new headers, with a CAT inside. Best to leave your old headers on. Now if they did not give you the take-off headers, go get them. They are worth money (no cat).

Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
To answer fgunnr's question, the Stage II 103" kit with the 255 cams does not require a SERT or SEST it only requires a download to the ECM that comes on the bike. It's a canned map. That being said, a lot of people still recommend getting a SERT, SEST, Fuel Pak or PCV and have it dyno tuned for best performance. They just picked up my Street Glide this morning to install the kit. Won't be able to report on how well it works until spring though.

I have this kit. With stock mufflers, no-cat headers, and SE A/C. 255 cams, flat top pistons, 103 inch.

My dyno runs:

With factory download for the kit: 97TQ, 79HP
With TTS with V-Tuned canned map: 97 TQ, 76HP

After a thorough Dyno tune by someone who knows what they are doing, with tts, 110TQ, 82.5HP. Over 100TQ from 1800rpm to 4250rpm, over 90TQ to 4750rpm.

But WOT numbers are meaningless for how it runs and drives. Don't have any miles on the tune yet, will know more tomorrow.

Will post the chart later.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone experiencing hard starting when hot? I have 103" stage II with dealer download. Cold it spins over easily but when fully hot it really labors like the starter is going to hemorrhage. Feels too far advanced. Anyone else experience this and if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks,
Marc

Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Hubcity2
Intermediate
Default 211 cam

Donnie:

I agree 102% with the 211 cam in a softail bar hopper. Most here ride the highway two up usually around the speed limit. A cam to roll on and pass with with out down shifting and going to 6 grand. They need a cam to pull way before 3500.

Also your right about volume, and dwell time the 211 gives a good fill but can be difficult to adjust A/F ratios to overcome the big suck drawing in air unless you spend hours with a good tuner.

IMO the 255 will meet 65-70% of all baggers needs. Grunt to take off, torque allows roll on at 55-75MPH HD has a download that is close.

However like you I don't like the cam cuz somethimes I like to get to the bar ahead of the pack, too. Been know to hit the rev limiter in 4th getting to the bar. So 85% of the time I'm TOURING but occassionally I'm bar hopping. The is no right build for everythng

Your right but not right for everyone

Old 12-30-2008, 03:26 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

As promised, here is the chart from my 103/se255/stock exhaust.

green line is with TTS canned map UH205 and v-tuned 5 runs. Blue and red are custom map by thedynodifference.com

Attached Thumbnails 103 Big bore kit-09-ultra-dyno-final.jpg  
Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in this: Savannah HD has a special for the 103" Stage II with SE 255 cam $1,350 installed. They also have a 110" special for $3,200. I am real tempted to do the 103 option, but I live in Atlanta. Anyone know of any comprable deals in North Georgia?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ga4boats
I am interested in this: Savannah HD has a special for the 103" Stage II with SE 255 cam $1,350 installed.
Wow, that's a great price. I paid the same by getting it from Chicago HD with a 25% discount and using an independent for installation. I would have much rather used a dealer for install. BTW, think about adding electronic compression releases while they have the heads off. It's cheap insurance. I'm having hot start problems with mine that I think is going to eventually wreck the starter. The dealer can come up with no solution other than adding compression releases after the fact.

Marc

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcparnes
Wow, that's a great price. I paid the same by getting it from Chicago HD with a 25% discount and using an independent for installation. I would have much rather used a dealer for install. BTW, think about adding electronic compression releases while they have the heads off. It's cheap insurance. I'm having hot start problems with mine that I think is going to eventually wreck the starter. The dealer can come up with no solution other than adding compression releases after the fact.

Marc
Marc, other than the starting issues, how do you like the performance compared to stock? My bike also is an 09 Street Glide.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:55 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

I don't want to gush or anything but the difference is phenomenal. Every once in a while I'll just gas it for no other reason but to feel it pull. Obviously Harley should have made them all like this For what it cost it was well worth while. I just wish I had known about the hard start issue. One dealer told me he installs compression releases in all the 103" kits he does while another just installs what's in the box. There is a 1.4 KW starter available but I'm not sure it is actually different than the one that's in there. I'm going to check with the dealer today. That would be cheaper in the short term but installing the releases would probably be the better permanent solution. What a bummer!

Marc

Quick Reply: 103 Big bore kit