Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Gear on Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reverse Gear on Touring Bike?

Anyone ever look at this? Is it possible to do reasonably? Surgery #7 coming up in January... getting tough to push back with a weak left leg. No, I am not prepared to give it up and I am not prepared to go to a Trike. Yes, I do try to park in places where I can pull through, but it's inevitable that I end up somewhere where it is not possible. Embarrassing to ask my wife to hop off, while I struggle to push the bike up a minor b.ump... Could be that the surgery will make me stronger... Just thinking ahead.

And no I'm not going to ride a Goldwing.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Ron H
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Champion makes a good reverse kit that most of the shops doing trike conversions use. It adds on to the tranny. You put the bike in neutral, depress the clutch, move a lever to the rearward position, and then ease out the clutch and the bike backs up. When done, you depress the clutch again and move the lever forward, and you're ready to put it into gear and go. One caveat -- if you put the bike into a forward gear and release the clutch with the lever in the reverse position, very bad things can happen. Cost of the Champion kit is $1200-1300, plus installation.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response. Worried about the bad things...

Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked to see if Baker offers any add-on?

I feel your pain. First time I parked the bike without paying attention to the slope was a KILLER. My legs aren't weak, but I am short which does not help to back a bike up hill. I always try to pay attention to where I park from now on. LOL!

Regarding what Ron said above, yeah, I can imagine bad things could happen if you forget to take it out of reverse before letting out the clutch!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jcbpa
Embarrassing to ask my wife to hop off, while I struggle to push the bike up a minor b.ump...And no I'm not going to ride a Goldwing.
What's embarrassing about having your passenger hop off when trying to hoss your scoot around? It's reasonable, practical and sensible.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Ron H
Cruiser
Default "Bad things"

I was warned by the shop that installed it that if I did that, the transmission would lock up. I haven't felt the need to try it to see if they were right...

Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
wheelman
Novice

I have the Champion reverse in my 2006 ultra.I have a bad right leg.The champion kit was not too hard to install myself and I have not had any problems with it at all.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

My brother bought a nice bike that had just been separated from a sidecar. He was proud of having that little lever coming off the tranny. Well he was until the day he said "Hey...........watch this........!"

Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron H
Champion makes a good reverse kit that most of the shops doing trike conversions use. It adds on to the tranny. You put the bike in neutral, depress the clutch, move a lever to the rearward position, and then ease out the clutch and the bike backs up. When done, you depress the clutch again and move the lever forward, and you're ready to put it into gear and go. One caveat -- if you put the bike into a forward gear and release the clutch with the lever in the reverse position, very bad things can happen. Cost of the Champion kit is $1200-1300, plus installation.
I've got a similar kit on my Road King made by a Japanese company. I think it's got a safety feature that prevents the bike from being placed in first with the lever in the reverse position. But you'd have to be pretty out of it to forget to move the lever back.

About usage, I love it! The '09s are pretty high off the ground and heavy, and the passenger floorboards make paddling tough work. Like the OP said, it's great not having to have the wife get off the bike just to back it up. And no more worrying about where you park.

Last edited by Twinrider; 12-12-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Reverse Gear on Touring Bike?