Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NADA list price: ya gotta be kiddin me

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:39 AM
flgator529
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think the suggested list was the original purchase (list) price when the bike was new?
__________________100% right it was the suggested list when the bike was new.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Rider
Indeed.

A big reason they're not selling is that the seller wants to get a price equal to or better than their payoff. Many one and two year old bikes are listed for at and sometimes above what a new one costs. Maybe you shouldn't have rolled all those accessories, gap coverage, warranty, and motorclothes into the loan. The new seller isn't going to pay for all of that.

Many Harley owners have failed to grasp that this isn't 2001 anymore. Supply has long caught up with demand. In fact, supple has exceeded demand and then some.

You've got a used bike. It's a Harley but it's still used......................

The market is glutted with so many motorcycles now.....................

My advice to prospective buyers: Make sure this is the bike you want to own because ....................you'll lose money selling in the first three years.

My advice to prospective sellers: Be realistic. The market is vastly different now than in the 90's and the beginning of the aughts. There is a HUGE supply of new and used bikes. There is a recession. Your bike is USED. It's worth less, much less than when you bought it new. Even with all those accessories.

Not to mention that someone has to have cash to buy your bike. At the very least, arrange financing on their own. That significantly reduces the number of potential buyers.

Exactly, well stated my friend. People stiil rememebr stories back in the 90's of "I bought my Harley drove it two years and sold it for more than I paid for it". Well those days are over. Supply way outceeds demand.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with the current state of our economy, used bike prices are going to fall drastically.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RDKingRider
I think with the current state of our economy, used bike prices are going to fall drastically.
That's what I've been waiting for.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts

Indeed.

A big reason they're not selling is that the seller wants to get a price equal to or better than their payoff. Many one and two year old bikes are listed for at and sometimes above what a new one costs. Maybe you shouldn't have rolled all those accessories, gap coverage, warranty, and motorclothes into the loan. The new seller isn't going to pay for all of that.

Many Harley owners have failed to grasp that this isn't 2001 anymore. Supply has long caught up with demand. In fact, supple has exceeded demand and then some.

Many Harley sellers have no problem understanding that if they bought a car and traded it in a year later, they'll have a minimum $4500 negative equity, perhaps more. These same sellers can't understand why their bike isn't selling and have received no offers.

You've got a used bike. It's a Harley but it's still used. Subtract 20% minimum for the first year, an additional 10-15% for the second year.

The market is glutted with so many motorcycles now. The NADA book does not reflect current market conditions. Seven years ago, NADA prices would be very accurate.

My advice to prospective buyers: Make sure this is the bike you want to own because unless you're putting a substantial amount down, you'll lose money selling in the first three years.

My advice to prospective sellers: Be realistic. The market is vastly different now than in the 90's and the beginning of the aughts. There is a HUGE supply of new and used bikes. There is a recession. Your bike is USED. It's worth less, much less than when you bought it new. Even with all those accessories.

Not to mention that someone has to have cash to buy your bike. At the very least, arrange financing on their own. That significantly reduces the number of potential buyers.
Right on the money with this post.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:58 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying a used bike cheep is typically being at the right place at the right time. I wanted my deuce in the worst way. New they listed for $27,500 plus the rest of the crap so OTD was like 30K. Market value one year later was 25-26K and on average were selling on ebay for 24,500. I patiently searched and some 30 days later snatched one up for $20,100. The bike was 15 months old and only had 2008 miles on it. 3 years 4 months later they are still selling for 15-17K. Patience a virtue!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,601 Likes on 424 Posts

I just turned down a 2003 VROD with 19K and extras for $7,000.00 on Craigs List. He was asking $8500.00, I think, but dropped to $7K in a minute. That is a SWEET bike for anybody looking at a little Sporty.
If you are willing to wait and search, you can buy ANY Harley model you want for WHOLESALE !!! And if you want a rare model/year, they are out there too. I'm just waiting for a steal on a 1990 Fatboy, and I will get one, I'm in no hurry.

You heard it here first guys... 2009 will be the year of the STEAL ON A USED HARLEY !!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed.

Many Harley sellers have no problem understanding that if they bought a car and traded it in a year later, they'll have a minimum $4500 negative equity, perhaps more. These same sellers can't understand why their bike isn't selling and have received no offers.

You've got a used bike. It's a Harley but it's still used. Subtract 20% minimum for the first year, an additional 10-15% for the second year.

The market is glutted with so many motorcycles now. The NADA book does not reflect current market conditions. Seven years ago, NADA prices would be very accurate.

My advice to prospective buyers: Make sure this is the bike you want to own because unless you're putting a substantial amount down, you'll lose money selling in the first three years.

To solve this problem....ride the bike you present got until it falls apart. Enjoy it.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

Indeed.

A big reason they're not selling is that the seller wants to get a price equal to or better than their payoff.

Maybe you shouldn't have rolled all those accessories, gap coverage, warranty, and motorclothes into the loan. The new seller isn't going to pay for all of that.

DING DING DING... we have a winner folks.....

I laugh when I think about people who roll everything into "one low payment" then 4 years later, the balance of the loan, is equal to the price of a NEW bike.....

when you factor in the Miles per dollar spent.... the loan is even more lopsided

Old 12-27-2008, 05:02 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I've been following Harleys on ebay off and on for several years and it looks like about one in 20 of the newer bikes listed are selling now. Nearly always it will be the no-reserve auctions and they go for really low prices. I'm amazed at what some of the sellers try to get for a starting bid. There are a LOT of folks out there who have bikes that they can't afford to sell.

I have noticed that the vintage bikes usually bring fairly good prices and sell pretty consistantly. Recently, an '84 Lowrider went for $13,500 and an '84 FLHS went for the same amount. A '76 FLH went for $18,750. All of them were fairly low mileage and, far more importantly, were still dead factory-stock with no mods at all. The unmolested bikes are the easiest to sell and almost invariably bring the highest return, it seems.

I see over and over that someone has "invested" huge bucks on add-ons and upgrades. The thing is, investments are supposed to have at least some chance of paying a dividend. Bling, hopping up the engine etc. just don't fall into that category. If you're not sure that you're gonna keep the bike for a long, LONG time, then all that chrome and engine work is just money down the drain and is actually a detriment to selling the bike.

I myself bought a new, carbureted '03 FLHR and sold it 6 months later with 3500 miles on it on ebay for exactly what I paid for it, before taxes. The buyer said that the reason he bought it instead of one of the about 20 others that were auctioned at the same time was that it hadn't had anything at all done to it except the scheduled maintenance. There has got to be something to that.

I also bought a sweet little '82 FXE that was essentially stock on ebay for $6000 and spent about $800 bringing it back to factory-OEM and some guy at a gas station offered me $10,000 for it. I nearly fell over! Didn't sell it , BTW.

Y'all ride safe,

John

Quick Reply: NADA list price: ya gotta be kiddin me