Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue ridge parkway

Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
duffey11
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue ridge parkway

The wife and I have planed a trip to ride the Blue Ridge parkway and any other interesting rides we can take in. The cool thing is that we will start in Sanford FL. We will load the bike and ourselves on a Amtrack train for a 18hr trip to Lorton VA where we will start the bike ride. Aynone interested in joining us, we will be leaving on May 10th and will return around the 17th. May do some camping along the way. Not sure at this time, need a trailer for all the wife's gear.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
confused
Road Captain

Hey no fair I am planning the same type of trip
Was going to do it in the fall, but got the flu
I might need to go the week after you, Memorial Day weekend
I will revisit this when the time gets closer

Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

my only sugestion would be go a little farther north and start. with a plant tour in york PA then south through gettysburg in front rayole. skyline drive is about a 4 hour ride south to the b;lueridge. great smokey national park gatlinburb area are great stay there at least a couple a days any road called parkway or skyway u cant go wrong. stay away from pidgeon forge its traffic hell.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

make wife wear throw aways for the first half of trip were she then meats up with the fedex box.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Tenn Ridge Runner
Cruiser

I'm curious about the train part of your trip. I on get a couple of weeks vacation a year and that sounds like a good way to get a head start on a trip. Do you have to crate the bike or what?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tenn Ridge Runner
I'm curious about the train part of your trip. I on get a couple of weeks vacation a year and that sounds like a good way to get a head start on a trip. Do you have to crate the bike or what?
ditto, i'm also curious about the train thing.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You doing this in May, Pack a coat, nothing heavy, it does get a bit on the cool side up there, even at 35/45 mph. Bring a good camera with lots of film/memory. Watch out for the critters, most of them ain't afraid of people or what moves them along. You'll love the ride, I live up there and ride it most every weekend for miles in both directions. There are a few campgrounds up there too that specialize in scooter camping. Have fun up there.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning a trip similar this this in June (Wifes a teacher and don't get out of school till then) but we live in TX so we are going to Niagara Falls Via the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame,then back down to Front Royal to the Skyline Drive then on to the Blue Ride Parkway then back to TX Via Mississippi to see the Daughter. I can't wait,it should be a great vacation. Hopint to do it in 15 days.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
duffey11
Advanced

I have asked the same question. Do I load the bike in the crate or do they do it. They advised that they crate the bike but welcome my assistance. I will probably take my on straps just to be safe.
The train leaves at 4pm and they will serve supper, it will travel all night arriving at 9:30 am with breakfast. I will have 7 full days to get back to Tampa FL. I have been on the dragons tail once and plan to make another visit while in the area. Any other good areas that I should not miss?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Red Hot Ultra
Advanced

I'm planning a similar trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. Also plan ride the Dragon while in the area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue ridge parkway