Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   new ride/what should I difference will there be (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/307548-new-ride-what-should-i-difference-will-there-be.html)

burnafatty 01-12-2009 06:09 PM

new ride/what should I difference will there be

Trading my fatboy on a street glide tommorow! I love the ride from the fatboy, but having to use the t-bag all the time is getting old! With the riding I do, and planing a trip to the west coast and back through sturgis this summer and was looking for a better long distants ride. Will I miss throwing the bike in a corner and laughing like a idiot when I throw the stone's to it in the middle of the corner? ( I know, I will still be an idiot wife tell me so)Do I have to learn to drool like they do at the home Like all the other geezers? And do I change my name...(well,still do that) . hmmm to ponder. what am I getting my self into?

brassmonkey 01-12-2009 06:26 PM

I traded my 05 Fat Boy for an 08 SG for much the same reasons you talk about. I will say that at first I thought I had made a mistake as I really loved the Fatty but once I got used to the SG I no longer regret the move. Ya I still miss the Fat Boy and when money allows I may buy another for a second bike but for long distance and just as an all around bike you cant beat the SG {IMHO}. I took the F.B. for two long trips, one to upstate N.Y. and the other a tour of Nova Scotia. The ride home from N.S. was a little over 700 miles in one day through some of the worst rain I have ever ridden in and I have been riding for over 25 Yr. Let me tell you I knew what having the crap kicked out of me felt like! On the other hand I rode the S.G. from Maine to Milwaulkee for thr 105th. 2 days out 2 days back at an average of 600 miles a day and felt like I could have kept right on going. Call me Grampy but you cant beat having the fairing to break the wind or the convienience of cruise control oh and TUNES did I mention TUNES.
Trust me you wont regret it!

Donnylee 01-12-2009 06:31 PM

My story is nearly identical 05 FB for 08 SG. Never looked back, but loved the FB allot too! That said I do not miss it anymore.

Originally Posted by brassmonkey (Post 4373688)
I traded my 05 Fat Boy for an 08 SG for much the same reasons you talk about. I will say that at first I thought I had made a mistake as I really loved the Fatty but once I got used to the SG I no longer regret the move. Ya I still miss the Fat Boy and when money allows I may buy another for a second bike but for long distance and just as an all around bike you cant beat the SG {IMHO}. I took the F.B. for two long trips, one to upstate N.Y. and the other a tour of Nova Scotia. The ride home from N.S. was a little over 700 miles in one day through some of the worst rain I have ever ridden in and I have been riding for over 25 Yr. Let me tell you I knew what having the crap kicked out of me felt like! On the other hand I rode the S.G. from Maine to Milwaulkee for thr 105th. 2 days out 2 days back at an average of 600 miles a day and felt like I could have kept right on going. Call me Grampy but you cant beat having the fairing to break the wind or the convienience of cruise control oh and TUNES did I mention TUNES.
Trust me you wont regret it!

bigjames19 01-12-2009 06:32 PM

You won't regret the touring class bikes, I went from a dyna wg, which I f'en loved like hell to a roadking, and after added a fatboy to the stable which I f'en loved also, but I always picked the rk to ride. The sg is one hell of a ride, with comfort storage and looks killer!

Lightngsvt2 01-12-2009 08:07 PM

I went from a Deluxe to the SG, you wont regret it one bit!

bigdumbnoitall00 01-12-2009 08:52 PM

throw the stones to it in the corner just as good as the fatty . but if your learning too drool changin your name and takin naps in the middle of the day why not go ultra?it rides better even more storage and lowers cant be beat in the rain.

bigdumbnoitall00 01-12-2009 08:53 PM

by the way just put the geezer glide chrome trim on the fairng last week!im only 45

kjmorgan 01-12-2009 09:04 PM

Please tell me you're not buying a bike you've never rented or test ridden before!

RDKingRider 01-12-2009 09:09 PM

After a few miles you are going to be happy with your decision.

bruce sg08 01-12-2009 09:28 PM

In the beginning you will think you made a mistake, I remember thinking all these people are nuts talking about the wind buffeting. I don't have any fairing or windshield now and I'm fine, so anything is better then nothing. The first month I was sure I made a mistake I couldn't ride longer then 20 minutes without getting a headache, but I was stuck I couldn't tell my wife I made a $20,000 mistake. by the end of the summer and a few windshields later, I couldn't be happier, or imagine riding anything else.