Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane booster

Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Octane booster

Just wondering if anybody ever uses it and if so have you seen any benefits. I only run 93 octane and try to stick with Shell unless I am in a pinch. Any feedback would be appreciated, unless of course you do not have anything positive to say. ie; post on another section, smart *** remark, yada. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Just wondering if anybody ever uses it and if so have you seen any benefits. I only run 93 octane and try to stick with Shell unless I am in a pinch. Any feedback would be appreciated, unless of course you do not have anything positive to say. ie; post on another section, smart *** remark, yada. Thanks in advance!!!
UPDATE:
I have retracted my earlier comment because after much though i have decided that i in no way wish to offend you or cause you any distress...Though it was a good one, it in no way was positive and truly was a smart azz remark! I hope you get the answer you seek in a positive tone!! In the future i may not be able to refrain from expressing my true thoughts and feelings towards your question or statement,I hope you will understand and not take it personal.Have a nice day....

Last edited by riteway; 01-16-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it's set up and tuned right you shouldn't need it.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 PM
rodeking
Tourer

I assume your bike is stock. If it is you should be fine without octane boosters, which IMHO are worthless, unless you are selling them. I tried running them out toward the left coast one year when I could get only 87. Did not help a bit. Only fouled out the plugs. Now with O2 sensors I would be afraid to try boosters period. There are some other threads on this subject and those who know more than myself have said that the "boosts a few points means like .003" or something like that.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil this last year. Got tired of varying amounts of ethanol with probably less octane then advertised. So far top end running quieter and cooler then without. No real notice in power. Plugs clean.
Before someone starts to rag on this, started using this oil when shovels ran on leaded gas and gov'nt changed over to unleaded. Worked fine with the shovel, seems to run well now.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to run 92 octane, every once and awhile all that's out there is 89 and the bike will knock under load.
When we head out west, I run into 93 or 94 octane and the bike just pur-r-r-rs with it.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Thumbs up

I have used lucas octanne booster with great result's. My problem was that iI was already using 93 octane and it still would ping. I had a 103 with 255 cam's, forged cp pistons cometic .30 head gasket's thundermax tuner. tried taking some timing out but I didn't have the patience, so I tried the lucas. It really took all of the pinging away. But that was my situation.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 PM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got any motor mods?
My stock 08 runs fine on 87 octane
Same power and mpg as 91 per butt dyno and calculator
And no noises

Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Amen on the Marvel Mystery oil, been using it is in everything I have that has an engine for decades. Cars, boats, airplane, motorcycle, you name it. Don't waste your money on octance booster, if your bike is tuned correctly you don't need it.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx07
if it's set up and tuned right you shouldn't need it.

Mine is set up and tuned right (for the local fuel 93 BP available easily).

But when I go far from home, I run into poor quality fuel - and have benefited greatly from octane booster. A perfect example was Sturgis.
Within 300 miles of that place the gas is all ****. Not only lower octane at the pumps, but that gas was down right garbage.

There is a need for octane boost!

If I lived in that area I'd likely have a different tune on the bike, or buy the boost in bulk.

There is no benefit to using octane boost in an area that has good fuel and your bike is tuned properly.
A poor tune will often benefit from the booster though.

Argue on, gents!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Octane booster