Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Custom V Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Framer- I love the look of your screen. What brand is that?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, like someone else said I had a 2006 RK Standard, loved that bike. I tried every way in world to get the wife to take over riding him, but she likes her Heritage. Anyway I ended up trading for my 09 Ultra, just got too good a deal to not keep him. I wanted the standard for the hard bags, locking them and didn't want the extra care needed for the leather one, not that too many have ever looked bad, but did see one that looked crappy.

On the wheels, wife's Heritage has Wide White Walls and chrome spokes. She has never complained about the WWW, but the spokes, she has grumbled a time or two, but she is kinda picky, and the bike had been thru a nasty storm at a campground. But she says at least she will know when a spoke is not right.

Good luck on the new RoadKing, they are awesome.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

I too was disapointed when they discontinued the Custom. I'm not quite sure why they did. I liked the smooth front fender, street glide emblem on the tank, solid wheels and lower suspension. I wouldn't be toally surprised if they didn't bring it back. Basically what you have with it is a Street Glide without the fairing......Rich

Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
mac0478
Road Captain

Does the lower suspension inhibit performance? My last bike was a Suzuki Hayabusa and I am certainly not expecting the same cornering peroformance. Is it possible to adjust the ride height? Low is great around town, but sometimes I guess it would be great to be able to adjust the ride height for a bit more cornering ability or riding two up.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

If you were comparing them both new, then the Road King Classic would be the better buy because new the Classic was about $200 or $300 more than the Custom but included a windshield, cruise control, and passing lamps. However, that is all water under the bridge since 2007 was the last year for the Custom.

I prefer the Custom as you can see by my sig pic. The Custom has cleaner fenders, cast wheels with tubeless tires which can be plugged roadside in an emergency and sits lower than the Classic. I have added to my Custom a detachable windshield, passing lamps, detachable passenger back rest and luggage rack and many, many other goodies. Cruise control can easily be added.

To me, the RK Custom is the best looking Harley and, like someone earlier stated, the Fatboy of the Touring line. It is as good as the RK Classic for touring one or two up and is also great around town. You would not be disappointed with either but for me the RK Custom (FLHRS) is the King of the Kings. If you can buy one, don't let it get away. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't envy your decission on the Road King. I picked my 04 RK Custom up from a friend of mine. So I didn't really look at the Classic when I made my purchase. To good of a deal to pass up you might say. I like the stylish look of the Classic and it certainly will stand out in a crowd. The custom though does have that laid back and sleek look to it in my opinion. So I believe my choice worked for me.

Don't be to worried about taking long trips on the Custom if you decide on it. I added the detachable 2 up rack and tour pack to mine. So I can pack for a trip or strip it down and just cruise around town.

Jim

Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I'd go for the Classic (added goodies you'll be glad you have) and look at swapping the spokes for cast rims.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM
catracho
Road Captain

I own one of the 700 FLHRS 2007.

Was loved at the first sight!!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
MotorSgt
Tourer

I have the 07 RKCustom, LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I hate chrome and I had all mine powdercoated black. Looks old school and you can go so many directions with it. just my 2cents.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

the classic has cruise, shield, passing lamps and bag guards- the custom does not.

(did the custom come with passenger floorboards or pegs?)

Quick Reply: Road King Custom V Road King Classic