Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help gang, SERT, Power Commander or V&H FuelPak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
MarkandMary
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help gang, SERT, Power Commander or V&H FuelPak?

I need some help gang. I am installing Rinehart TD's on my Road King with high flow air filter. I just hear so many different thoughts between all of the choices of fuel management. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on the SERT, but is it worth it if I never plan on doing any other mods?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd vote for the PCIII from FuelMoto. They have tons of maps so if you decide to do any changes in the future, just request a new map from them with your new mods. PCIII also easy to tweak your settings for better mpg in cruise range and so on. Plus they are now offering the PCV with autotune for the '07 and '08 bikes. If I didn't have the PCIII already, I'd probably give that some thought for a few extra bucks.

Nothing wrong with FuelPak or SERT. Just my .02 You will prob get $5 worth of .02 though.

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 01-28-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

I had a Fuelpak on my 07 Night Train. I never was really happy with it. In order to adjust anything you have to contact V&H and know how to describe your issues...I never had good results with that.

I'm no expert on fuel management, but all bikes and setups are a little different and the Fuelpak...for me...didn't fit the bill.

I just went with Power Commander 5 for my 09 SG...waiting on delivery.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Repeating what's already been said a million times on this very forum: I couldn't be happier with my PC-V from Fuel Moto. The performance for the $$ is great, overall driveability improvements (no doubt thanks to Jamie's custom map work) and top notch customer service make this a no-brainer.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM
MarkandMary
Road Captain

I believe I have ruled out the FuelPak. Now it is between PCIII and SERT. This is my belated birthday present and my CFO said she didn't care which way I went.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Silverstone
Tourer

Do Rinehart have a technical site you can checkout? which do they recommend?
I went with V&H Slip-Ons and FuelPak,S/E air. The V&H technical website guys were very helpful,it's all about "compatability" especially if anything isn't going as it should.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
MarkandMary
Road Captain

Yes they do. They recommended the PCIII but also stated that it would come pre programmed and for best results I should take it and have it dyno tuned. Now I am almost to the same cost as the SERT. Thus my dilemma.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are the least bit handy and have access to a laptop, I highly recommend the TTS MasterTune. Doc at HD MD Tuning Center 12646 Scottish Pine Lane Clermont FL 352-242-9616 is fantastic, and will give you a discount as well. You can install the software, load a basemap (Doc has a good one for your exact application) and actually generate a custom map for your bike and riding style without a dyno. If you make changes to the bike, you can retune it with a new custom map easily. The software allows you to ride your bike and record the readings, then will generate a new map - and it's more accurate than a dyno tune - because a dyno simulates real conditions while this uses actual data generated by real conditions. About the same cost as a SERT, but no dyno cost.

Give Doc a call, and tell him Trent Combs in Bakersfield sent you - he spent a lot of time helping me straighten out a poor dyno tune, and he didn't even sell me the Mastertune!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Also probably depends on what future mods you may do. I they were standard mods that fuel moto has maps for then for the price I would go with PC (either III or V) from them....as you can always contact them for a new map when you mod. That way you never really outgrow your system, and you don't have to fork up for tuning. That's why I went with autotune though too.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have someone that can properly tune a SERT, SEST, or TTS then you will DEFINITELY end up with a better running and riding motorcycle. I know many see improvements with PCIII, PCV, TMax, DTT, and so on.... been there, done done that. There is truely no comparison to a bike that it PROPERLY tuned with a one of the three I mentioned.

Flame away, but if you do it only proves that you have never had one that was truely done right. No two bikes are the same, regardless of the mods. As a result... no MAP from one bike will EVER be perfect for another.

This applies to stock motors, mildly upgraded, and hotrod motors.

Quick Reply: Need help gang, SERT, Power Commander or V&H FuelPak?