Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Saddlebag Filler Panels

Old 03-25-2009, 07:03 AM
RCNFVR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures??

I would like to see picture of an ultra with the unslotted filler strips.I too want to fill this area but want to have rails on the bags.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vanlente
Yes they will no they wont; get the slotted, slotted won't fit. WTF.

I have an 08 Ultra WITH the quick release. I would like it to end up looking like the 09 StreetGlide (filler with the pop out rubber inserts for the antenna). I've placed my Radio Antenna in the front fairing (jury's still out as the reception sucks) and i'd like to get a shorter CB antenna and relocate it somewhere near the bottom coming through the filler. Oh yeah I'd like the filler painted to match.

What if anything will work?
If you want to mount a CB antenna on an SG, check-out the HD kit, part no. 76415-06. I bought this to install a CB antenna on my '04 EG that has the Street Glide facia. The installation on your '08 would be the same. PM Dawg or stop by your dealership and have them print out the installation instructions and parts list. I mention this because the kit includes a CB antenna cable that you probably would not need since your Ultra already has the antenna cable on it.

Using this kit, the CB antenna uses the right side hole in the SG facia; the left side would use the AM/FM antenna.

As for adding the SG facia to your '08 rear fender, you can do it, but there will be holes visible at the bottom that are there for your fender tip light. Some guys have used a license plate to cover the holes. Or, as I did, buy a replacement fender.

If you use the HD two-up detachable tour pak rack, the holes in the SG facia are used by HD's mounting hardware for the detachable rack; and won't accommodate the mounting hardware and antennas.

You can probably find a solution to the CB antenna location if you want the SG facia and detachable tour pak. One solution is to buy the Milwaukee Bagger Tour Pak detachable rack because it locates the TP in the two-up position, but uses the forward detachable mounting hardware HD sells for mounting a passenger backrest or the solo detachable TP rack, and not the two-up detachable TP mounting hardware. I bought one of the MB racks because I don't like the chrome hoops of the two-up hardware sticking out of the SG facia.

Good luck with your research. Try the search function for more information. There's plenty here about the SG facia change, Milwaukee Bagger TP rack, etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM
tomm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last year i was lookin in to making a set of these filler strips because couldn t find any that would work on my 2006 uc what i found was it would impossible to install or remove your bags with the rails on and a tour-pak installed so gave up on the idea

Old 03-25-2009, 03:24 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default filler strips

Check this link for some pics of the unslotted strips on a 08 Ultra.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...like-best.html

Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, non-slotted are correct for '08 Ultra

Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM
shami02
6th Gear
Default Why not a RG with bag rails?

I see the non slotted fit the Ultra's. But if I look at the Harley fitment guide it specifically stated that part no 45898-08CPH will not fit an FLTR. I have an 08 FLTR with the takeoff Ultra saddle bag rails. Why wont that part number work on my ride. Totally confused.. The issue is it takes forever to order and they are not returnable so I hate to order them and not be able to use 'em. I just cant see why part 45898-08CPH would not fit my 08 FLTR.. Anyone with input it is appreciated, thanx in advance for your answers..
-mike

Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a significant or must have item to me.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

EDIT: The reason HD says they won't fit '08 and older FLTR's is because you have an antenna mounted between the fender and saddlebag where the filler strip would mount. Install an antenna inside your fairing, ditch the external antenna and mount, and you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by shami02
I see the non slotted fit the Ultra's. But if I look at the Harley fitment guide it specifically stated that part no 45898-08CPH will not fit an FLTR. I have an 08 FLTR with the takeoff Ultra saddle bag rails. Why wont that part number work on my ride. Totally confused.. The issue is it takes forever to order and they are not returnable so I hate to order them and not be able to use 'em. I just cant see why part 45898-08CPH would not fit my 08 FLTR.. Anyone with input it is appreciated, thanx in advance for your answers..
-mike
Mike, occasionally HD makes a fitment mistake in the product descriptions. Until the '06 model year, HD didn't say that the detachable tour pak racks would fit Electra Glide Classics or Ultras. They did, of course, but you had to deal with wiring issues with those models.

My suggestion is twofold. First, ask the parts guy to print out the installation instructions for the filler strips (non-slotted) and understand how they attach to the bike. Second, look at the parts book for your bike and determine what parts are involved with the installation of the filler strips. More than likely, you can install the filler strips with your rails or without them.

Also, start a thread and ask if anyone has installed the filler strips on an FLTR '08 or older.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-03-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 PM
shami02
6th Gear

Thankx guys.... I can make them work I see why HDMoCo ststes they wont fit... Help is appreciated

-mike

Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
rgm
Cruiser
Default 2009 Ultra filler strips - slotted or not slotted

I have a 2009 Ultra and want to put in filler strips. Colour matched. Do I use the slotted or unslotted filler strips for the 2009 Ultra.

Thanks, and any pictures of someone who has done a 2009 Ultra please send me pics or post here.

RGM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultra Saddlebag Filler Panels