Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Police bikes

I'm considering a Eglide police edition, 07 with 10K on it. Just curious as to how many have police bikes and what they have done with them. Is it a pain in the *** to deal with the extra wires and switches for mods? Do other Eglide accessories work without a hitch?

I like the idea of the upgraded powerplant already and a clean black slate to start working with. Just curious as to what others have done or are working on.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cop bike. It's a 2000 FLHTPI. I looked for 6 months before I finally found the one I wanted. I've done a few things to it, chromed the front end, chrome RK wheels, 98" big bore kit, 10.5:1 wiseco forged moly coated pistons, heads re-worked, S&S Cam Gear Drive, S&S Outer Gear Drive, Woods Gear Drive Cam .575 lift set to stock specs, cases were updated to new LH Bearing, Cam drive updated to new bearings, rocker boxes clearanced for 1.67:1 ratio rockers, Crank straighted to within .0015 runout, SE air cleaner with open air filter element, 6 speed OD tranny, up one tooth on the front primary sprocket, Mustang passenger seat, kept the cop air ride solo seat, removable backest/sissy bar/lugage rack for 2 up long distance rides, stayed with cop tires, Motherwell solo luggage rack, and so on.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

One more thing, what seats did you guys go with on your bikes? I'm 6'3" and I'm worried about being comfortable, with the forward controls on my WG I feel good for miles and miles so I'm worried about that as well.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

That is a nice looking bike Eyespy.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Hey thanks BigJfxdwg. One thing you should know, the cop bikes lack a wiring harness for a sound system, but biketronics sells a kit that you can wire up without too much hassle, if tunes on the bike is important to ya. You can change out the switches for something nicer than stock. I like the cop bikes, you get a lot of bike for the money, makes it easy to dress it up to your liking and make it your own. The black and chrome motor is a great plus. And don't be so quick to dismiss the stock air ride seat. It is the most comfortable seat ever put on a bike period.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had a police EG for 4 years/50K+ miles and it's been a great bike. As mentioned, if you choose to retain the handlebar controls, but add a radio/headunit, Biketronics has a switch kit that mounts on the handlebars to control the headunit while retaining your OEM switches and housings. I did my radio install before the Biketronics handlebar switch kit was available so I replicated the civilian wiring, including swapping out the police handlebar switches for the civilian versions.

If you want to add HD cruise control, you can do this with a wiring harness from Cruisemount.com; or, as has been done, simply replicate them missing wiring on your bike using the Civilian and Police model wiring diagrams to show you what you need.

You can add the oil pressure gauge, oil temp gauge, etc., but you will need to splice some wires and add the appropriate connectors that plug into the gauges. I've done this and it's not difficult using the wiring diagrams.

In retrospect, it would have been easier to purchase the civilian interconnect harness (the main wiring harnesses are the same) for these mods rather than spend the hours studying the wiring diagrams, getting the part numbers for the connectors and sockets/pins for the them, splicing/soldering/etc. But I enjoyed these projects, learned a helluva lot about my bike, and everything works perfectly (knock on wood).

I have purchased a used interconnect harness and will install it as part of my paint project, primarily to clean up the wiring inside the fairing.

One idea on the handlebar switches: you can use Road King switch housings if you don't want the police switches and housings. I did this when I installed chrome controls and wired the passing/pursuit lamps to a switch on the fairing cap.

This is probably more information than you needed and it shouldn't disourage you from buying the police model for the excellent reasons you already know.

As for HD accessories, anything you can put on a civilian EG (backrest, TP, fairing lowers, etc.) you can put on an EG police model.

If you buy the bike and need any help, shoot me a PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 AM
BigD64
Tourer

I have 1995 FLHTP and a 2009 FLHTP. Wiring isn't a problem I wired the passing lamps to the pursuit switch on the 95. Nice to be able to turn them on and off. For more tips there is a website just for Police Bikes:

www.flhpi.com

You can get a lot of info there.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BigJ ... You should PM me. I have an '07 FLHTP that is about to go up for sale. In addition to the 103", Bassani True Duals, Ness intake, and Thundermax closed loop fuel management, I have moved the police air solo seat rearward 2" and the floorboards forward and out an inch. I'm also tall, and am able to stretch out very comfortably on this bike!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:04 AM
orbit
Road Captain
Received 389 Likes on 214 Posts

I got an '06 FLHTP last November. I haven't done much with it except add an FLHX tank console, fairing mount mirrors, visor bezels for all the lights and removed the siren amp and strobe wiring harnesses. I found that the passing lights are wired like BigD's. The dealer did this prior to the sale of the bike. My bike has some of the cruise control wiring on it (the control module end), although I haven't taken the time to track down the handlebar end of it yet.

I also got a Mustang passenger pillion which matches the police saddle upholstery and got the removable passenger backrest and corresponding docking kit. I added standard passenger footboards as well. I got a Motherwell 7" Gunfighter solo luggage rack too.

I moved the air tank for the police saddle from the rear fender and attached it to the side of the battery box, under the left side cover. This allowed me to get rid of the radio rack, cleans up the rear fender a bit and makes it easier to use the detachable accessories. Best of all, I got to keep the police saddle, which is extremely comfortable.

I just got the Fuel Moto power package (PCIII, FM A/C and Jackpot dyno tuned mufflers) which I have yet to install. That's gonna be it for tweaking for awhile.

Harley offers separate Police model service manual and parts book supplements, which help a great deal, especially when trying to figure out the wiring.

My bike has 265 miles on it, so it isn't even broken in yet. I'm looking forward to this coming riding season, that's for sure.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:29 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

Thanks for the responses guys. As soon as the roads clear I'll go for a test ride. The upgrade will cost me about 4000 from my 05 WG to the 07 FLHTP. Sounds like the police seat is the way to go huh.

Great looking bikes as well. Anybody else that has one and wants to share, thanks.

Quick Reply: Police bikes