Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone noticed how much better the 2012 bikes sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone noticed how much better the 2012 bikes sound?

I've had my 2012 Road Glide Custom for about a month. Well actually, about 2 weeks. It spent 2 weeks in the shop. But got it back today and noticed that it sounds really good. The pipes are slash cut and they rumble a little bit. Very impressed compared to my 2011 Road King. I couldn't even tell it was running while sitting on it. But my new one sounds awesome.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Get some PIPES on that biotch!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

To me they sound like a GoldWing. Get rid of the cat,and get some slip ons. Then I will agree with you.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jrobinson424: Sound, like many other things in life, is subjective. What one person thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread, others will turn their nose up at it. Don't let others opinions sway you one way or the other. If you like the sound of your exhaust then keep it and ride with a big ol' grin on your face. I've heard stock exhausts that sounded very pleasing to me...others, not so much. Ride safe.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

I've never heard a Harley roll off the showroom floor that sounds like a Harley should.

But, as with everything else, opinions are like a$$holes...I'm glad to hear you like the sound!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the opened up the mufflers a bit do to that ridiculous cat in the head pipe. When I called Rush about slipons, they said on the pre 2009s you should go no more then a 2" baffle....09 and up you can go 2.5".

Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

I went from a Heritage with V&H BSS to a 2102 Road King with slipons, so definitely quieter for me.

Getting Fullsac X-pipe in the fall, hopefully will gain a bit more bark.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fish eye
I've never heard a Harley roll off the showroom floor that sounds like a Harley should.

But, as with everything else, opinions are like a$$holes...I'm glad to hear you like the sound!
A Harley that rolls off the showroom floor sounds EXACTLY like a Harley should sound because that is the way it was built and designed. What you meant, it doesn't sound like YOU THINK a Harley should sound.

Just another "one of those opinions".

I wanted only a little more sound and got it with my set-up. Hate really loud pipes, they hurt my ears and are annoying.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
jrobinson424: Sound, like many other things in life, is subjective. What one person thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread, others will turn their nose up at it. Don't let others opinions sway you one way or the other. If you like the sound of your exhaust then keep it and ride with a big ol' grin on your face. I've heard stock exhausts that sounded very pleasing to me...others, not so much. Ride safe.
I agree its subjective......I find the newer bikes are coming off the assembly line with more growl to the sound. The last HD I bought new was a 98 DWG and it had no sound period it couldn't have been any quieter....my RK had me wondering if they were installing quieter slip-ons. After I carved the cat out it sounded even more like It did. Its plenty loud for me .....I'm kinda done with super loud exhaust but I'm one of those that rides for therapy and tranquility....I never arbitrarily ride...but that's just me...just saying?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fish eye

I always think this statement is kind of funny. How can it not sound "like a Harley should" when it comes from the Harley-Davidson factory??

Not flaming you or anything, but your opinion of how a Harley should sound is just that. An opinion (like you already stated). Harley-Davidson apparently thinks they sound exactly how they should. And if you believe their website, put a lot of R&D into that sound.

Quick Reply: Anyone noticed how much better the 2012 bikes sound?