Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What color is the pinstripe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What color is the pinstripe?

Getting ready to paint a trailer to match the Ultra and want to carry the pinstriping patten on the trailer as well. I have a 2007 Black Cherry Pearl Ultra with what looks like "red" pinstriping. But rather than just go out and try to find a pinstriping tape that comes close, does anyone know if there is a paint code from HD for the pinstriping? Is it tape on the bike with clear coat over it or is it painted on? I have the paint code and got enough paint for the black cherry pearl. I'll use tape on the trailer and clear coat over that. But I would like for the reds to match. I know, I may be getting **** about this. But I just like things to match. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BezerkoBob
Getting ready to paint a trailer to match the Ultra and want to carry the pinstriping patten on the trailer as well. I have a 2007 Black Cherry Pearl Ultra with what looks like "red" pinstriping. But rather than just go out and try to find a pinstriping tape that comes close, does anyone know if there is a paint code from HD for the pinstriping? Is it tape on the bike with clear coat over it or is it painted on? I have the paint code and got enough paint for the black cherry pearl. I'll use tape on the trailer and clear coat over that. But I would like for the reds to match. I know, I may be getting **** about this. But I just like things to match. Thanks in advance for your help.
If you are ****, you may not be happy with tape. Someone like Dawg here could give you the stripe paint code for your bike. I've found that it is smart to do it right the first time.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is clear coated over

Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know how far you live from KC but if you take it to Bob Bond who is one of the best Pin stripers around he will do it for 85 dollars. He did mine and it turned out perfict.

Last edited by cap5369; 02-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried to get some matching pinstripe tape for my bike(same color as yours) and my dealer told me that all Harley Davidson pinstriping is hand painted and there is no pinstripe tape.
I don't think I can swallow that.
Call your dealer and find out who does there body work, they will be able to help with the pinstripe.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I don't think I can swallow that.
What will you wash it down with?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Next time you are at the HD store, ask the parts counter guy to let you look at the Paint Catalog; it lists the HD bikes by year, model, color, etc. It will tell you the HD name for the color of the pinstripe(s). At the back of the book, organized by model year, are the paint numbers that correspond to the paint names. HD sells pinstripe paint.

Good luck with your project.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't use tape either. Have it done by hand.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks to all for the replys. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that (as has been stated in your replys) tape would not be a very good option. So I will find someone in the St. Louis area that can pinstripe it for me. I've always wanted to try pinstiping and used to have a pretty steady hand. But as the years pile up, the steadiness decreases. I did ask the parts man at my local HD dealer and he told me he did not think HD had a paint code for pinstripinig. Dumbazz that I was at the time, I believed him. Now I know who the dumbazz really was. I'll go to another local dealer and ask to look at the paint catalog as Harleypingman suggested. Thanks again for all your help and support.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 AM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting ready to paint a trailer to match the Ultra and want to carry the pinstriping patten on the trailer as well. But rather than just go out and try to find a pinstriping tape that comes close, does anyone know if there is a paint code from HD for the pinstriping?
Quick and dirty advice... go into a walmart or home depot or lowes, and grab a bunch of their paint sample strips, you know, those little pieces of cardboard with the paint colors they can mix. Then take all the different red ones that look close home and try to find a good match. Better yet, find a paint chart that shows the basic colors of out there and do the same.
Then take the color strip that most closely matches your striping to an auto store and try to find a close match.

Quick Reply: What color is the pinstripe?