Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what makes the twin cam so much better then a evo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default what makes the twin cam so much better then a evo?

been wondering this ever since I got rid of my 97 evo rk, with a ol evo you could get some good hp, no heat issues, no cam bearing tensioner,bearing issues, I just don't get all the hype, my ol evo was just as quick if not quicker with a ignition and cam change.

The following users liked this post:
jmjftw (06-26-2022)
Old 02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

They are newer. Other than that, I'm with you, the Evo never let me down and was a strong, reliable motor. OK, so the cylinder base gaskets might start weeping at about 50,000 miles. Gee, nothing's perfect. Long live the Evo.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leohd
been wondering this ever since I got rid of my 97 evo rk, with a ol evo you could get some good hp, no heat issues, no cam bearing tensioner,bearing issues, I just don't get all the hype, my ol evo was just as quick if not quicker with a ignition and cam change.
I tend to agree with you. I had a 96 RK and loved that EVO engine. The stock 96" on my 08 is much stronger than the stock EVO was but after some work, the old EVO did really well and was no where near as hot. Of course I did jet the carb so it ran well also not so lean like the stock 96"

I miss that old EVO, more for its character than anything else. I do enjoy the smoother ride and 6 speed transmission on my new bike. Of course the older isues needed a bearing replacement and a few other things two. Everything considered I would like to have both if I could have afforded them!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just a matter of change and when you come into the curve. I thought my old EVO worked great and was an improvement over the Shovelheads, but there are guys who would claim how great their Shovels run, etc. Same thing probably happens with folks who like Pans and Knuckles.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

There is nothing about the Twinkie that would make me give up my EVO.

The following users liked this post:
jmjftw (06-26-2022)
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
molsen
Road Master

I must say I had a .030 over evo with branch heads, 10.5:1 pistons and a wood(forgot which 1) cam, with a mikuni 42. It was nice, no issues, other than the block cracked around the lifter screen screw. After the shock of FI and learning SERT. I must say TCs are alot easier to take the heads off on the bike, not so many seals,gaskets on the rocker covers. Big bore is easy. No worries about the oil pump, which I had. I missed the EVO, but like my TC a lot more. I think I wouldn't mind and find an old pan to play with and bar hop with.

Last edited by molsen; 02-23-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
IronLegend
Tourer

Can't say for the Evo RK models but my first Harley was an Evo Sportster and that is the one that swore me off metrics and made me a confirmed Harley rider. So far, my Twin Cam RK has been leak and trouble free.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both and I agree the old evo 80inch are good engines. I installed an Andrews cam, single fire ignition, and a Mikuni carb and never have had a bit of problem with it.

I do like the Fuel injection on the SG. I don't like the heat of the 96incher.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My next bike will be an EVO as I want to play around with the motor and it's cheaper to buy jets than it is to get a tuner and download stuff that I really don't fully understand

Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing sounds like a good Shovelhead though! 83 Super Glide it was my first Harley and I'm lucky enough to still have it

Quick Reply: what makes the twin cam so much better then a evo?