Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 FLHX rear fender on my 08 FLHX for the 180 install

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brnew
Very nice timberland, I have been asking around shops and no one seems to want to tackle that job. That is schweeeeeeet. I was looking to add the 09 fender 0n my 08 with the stretched bags. From Thanksgiving til now, I see why they are hesitant LoL !. Anyway will be loooking for the finished product.

Think Body shop not HD shop....... I'll bet for $400- 500 you could have a fender done including paint, plus the cost of a fender. Or buy one from Klock werks, Ness etc.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
hd0wner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just putting a spin on it and also want info from timberland, and others.

I am interested in doing something like this to my 08 RKC, minus the bigger rear tire/fender swap, and just using my stock fender. I'm looking for the fascia assembly, but can't find it on the HD website.

What would I need to order, change or modify to get this effect on my RKC? What exactly are the holes in the fascia for and do I need them. Thought about just filling them and painting if I can get in primer.

Or would it be easier/cheeper in the long run to just go with the 09 fender? Does the 180tire fit on an 08 wheel, or do I need a wider wheel? Lots of Q's, I'm done, for now......

Thanks, Jon

Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by timberland
Guessin' some 8 year old in China made the lights. He / She did a damn fine job too, LOL. Seroiusly, I bought them on ebay from a street rod shop in NC. search "street rod LED tail lights " if you cant find them pm me I'll look it up. Cost about $80 a pair. Beats HD's SERG lights at $127 each!
I've enjoyed your threads on this project and it's turning out great. Was the cost of the SERG lights what caused you to do the SG facia rather than the SERG?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 PM
mtlakehog
Tourer

Looks good!!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I've enjoyed your threads on this project and it's turning out great. Was the cost of the SERG lights what caused you to do the SG facia rather than the SERG?
Cost of anything from HD lately has me avoiding the them. My lights were $80 a pair, the SERG's were in excess of $250 a pair, FLHX facia $38, SERG facia $160 . Yep, cost came into play....$400 for lights and facia? ...not me. The fenders are the same cost for any FLH or SERG. I bought the FLHX fender because the SERG's was back ordered for 4-6 weeks. A little more welding to fill the holes on the FLHX fender was worth not waiting.

Harleypingman, I like what you have done to your bike. Very nice job on your tail section too. We must read each others post, LOL.... here is my next thread.... Just recieved my new J&M speakers today with the mid range and tweeters....headed out to the shop now to install...expect pictures and my review for them on another post.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
timberland
Road Master

Originally Posted by hd0wner
Thanks...
those are it.... The plugs dont come on them like in the picture. No big deal I would of cut them off anyway. It has about 6" wire leads soldered into the LED board.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 PM
brnew
Tourer

Originally Posted by timberland
Think Body shop not HD shop....... I'll bet for $400- 500 you could have a fender done including paint, plus the cost of a fender. Or buy one from Klock werks, Ness etc.
Thanks timberland,I'll keep looking and asking until get it right.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
timberland
Road Master

With a little body work and metal skill anyone can do this fender mod.

Two points are on the 09 fender to position it. 1) The seat bolt location and 2) the rear lower fender /exhaust spacer /hoop, what ever its called has a bracket that attaches to the fender stud. Both of these points are the same on my 08 and 09 fender. Cut the side plates to clear the struts and move them in 3/8" on each side. Now wire weld the side plates back on. It took us 6 hours to do this, and about 2 hours looking and figuring what and where to cut. I traced the side profile of my 08 fender onto a piece of cardboard, marking where the strut was and seat stud location. Line up the seat stud on the 09 fender to the cardboard template and mark 1" behind the struts. Start cutting. Dont worry HD sells these fenders everyday if you error.

Last edited by timberland; 05-26-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 FLHX rear fender on my 08 FLHX for the 180 install