Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

precautions when selling a bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 AM
1ironhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default precautions when selling a bike

A freind of mine wants to sell his ultra but is afraid to allow a test ride.He and I have both heard of theives just riding off with the bike.I've always known my buyers so I didn't quite know what to tell him at first.I suppose I'd take alot of pics(the prospective buyer,the vehicle he showed up in,license plate,ect),hold his drivers license and some cash.Is there any thing you've done or did you just take a chance?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I've sold a few cars in my time, and usually if they want to test drive, they have to leave the cash they are paying, their license (or a copy), and the keys to the vehicle they came in. A few people squawked about it, but I guess they didn't want the vehicle bad enough.

I've sold two bikes before as well. Same thing... perspective buyer had to leave keys, cash, and license (copy) before taking the bike for a ride.

If you have access to a place, offer to ride the bike to a open parking lot or similar to let the perspective buyer ride the bike.

If the bike is really worth a good amount of coin, a quick statement that the buyer has to sign saying they are responsible for the bike if anything is damaged during the ride could be a good thing too...

A lot of stuff? Yes... but Ultras are not cheap...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First off ask to see his license, does he have a MC endorsement. I only allow a ride after we have negotiated a price, he says he wants the bike and then taking a test ride only to consummate the deal. You can always follow along in your vehicle. If after looking at his license and registration for what he drove there, you should have a good feeling he is who he says he is. Also talk about payment before he rides the bike, does he have financing approved, cash or how is he going to pay for it. After spending some time you should know if they are a bona fide buyer. Bottom line, no joy rides.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the guys on here have been riding "Big" bikes for a while, it wouldn't take a minute, probably just getting upright and started, to know if someone can ride a Ultra. Its a tough call, I have a lot of money in my bike, if someone wrecked it, there is probably nothing I could do, yea I could sue, etc. etc.. but you guys know the ONLY one who wins is the lawyers, it would be a year before you would get any money if at all. I'd probably first check with my insurance carrier to find out their position on me allowing strangers to ride my bike. Gary

Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not let anyone test drive mine without putting cash in my hand first. I don't care if they have a m/c endorsement or not, because if they drop it, they bought it.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 AM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

If you do not know the peson, don't even go there. I've sold 5 motorcylces in the last 3 years, 2 were eBay deals. I didn't let anybody nor did any ask to ride before they payed.
I personally don't even ride friends motorcycles.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM
2006flhx
Advanced

I am dealing with the same thing, I am selling my 06 street glide, so I called my insurance agent he told me to keep full coverage on both of my bikes till the 06 sells that way I am covered if anything should happen. I will also be riding along on the 08 when any one test drives. I would prefer one of you guys just came and picked the thing up

Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider selling on eBay. If you post lots of good photos, a clear description of what the bike is and is not, then it will sell fast. Last time I sold on eBay, I had an effortless experience. Don't forget to set a reserve price so you have a predetermined minimum price. Everything bid above that is bonus.

I tried selling on my own and heared every sorry story and excuse about test rides with no riding experience, trust me payment plans, personal checks, no deposits, and every possible thing you don't want to get involved with when selling a bike.

eBay gives you an opportunity to take the hassle out of the sale, and if done right you will get a reasonable price well over what the dealer offers for a trade-in.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Start the bike , look it over, if he wants it sell it of not walk, no test rides on my insurance..period!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I would suggest telling the prospective buyer that after they buy the bike from you, you will give them their money back if the ride it ten minutes and don't like it. Assuming they bring it back in the same condition. That way, you have the money in hand before they get on the bike and they still have the ability to back out if they ride it for a few minutes and don't like it. That way everyone has a sense of security in the deal.

Quick Reply: precautions when selling a bike