Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Wet radio problem (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/328057-wet-radio-problem.html)

tima 03-18-2009 11:43 AM

Wet radio problem

Washed the scooter, didn't use pressure washer, just garden hose. After-wards the radio came on with "Disc Error 1". I'm not even sure if there is a disc in it, I hit the eject button and nothing happens. It won't accept a disc. I let it sit overnight and now the disc error is gone, it's on the radio, but I have no sound, neither the console buttons work or handlebar controls do nothing. Still will not accept a disc. I can not change channels or move to AM, CD, etc. I've taken off the batwing and unplugged the radio, used a blow dryer on the connections, there was a little water, still nothing. At this point I'm just letting it sit in the garage and hopefully it'll dry out??? Anybody got any ideas???

hdpearl70 03-18-2009 11:54 AM

After the wash and turning it on while it was still wet probably fried it:( You can wait another day or 2 but if your still getting the same results, time for a replacement

jackja25 03-18-2009 12:04 PM

I had this happen to me at the dealership. After servicing my bike, they did a routine wash and fried my radio. They ordered a new one for me and installed it. Dont know if they did this under warranty or because they fried it. Now no more spraying water on the inner fairing. Rain does not seem to be an issue. Take it to the dealer and explain that the radio is not working and should be covered under warranty. Hope this helps.

tima 03-18-2009 12:17 PM

Dang it!!

Thanks guys.....

Our07Ultra 03-18-2009 12:18 PM

My neighbor was washing his bike 08 UC. His radio would not turn on. After a few minutes, the display was barely visible. He was pondering the thought of going to dealership for warranty work.
We went for a ride a few hours later and everything cleared up for him. Maybe it just needs to dry out for a while.
Good luck and hope it all comes back or gets replaced. I do know that if the dealership repairs..they replace with a "remanufactured". Dont know the quality of these but with warranty they should replace until fixed!

steveh326 03-18-2009 01:14 PM

similar thing happened to me on my roadglide... first time I washed it, I hit the radio with the hose (not hard), and the display on the radio went out. Everything still worked I just had no idea what was going on since nothing displayed. waited a few days, never came back on... took to the dealer, they ordered a replacement radio under warranty for me. 3 weeks from the day the radio went blank, the day before I was supposed to go to the dealer to have new radio installed, the display came back on, and the dealer refused to replace it. Luckily, it has been working ever since. now I cover the radio with a towel when i wash the bike... for some strange reason, sitting out in the rain doesn't seem to affect it.

D2R 03-18-2009 01:31 PM

Rain water's fine but I wouldn't drown the fairing even with a garden hose.I take a large trash-leaf bag with me to the carwash and bungie cord it over the inner fairing and hand controls and even then avoid pointing the wand directly at it.Never had a problem.

DPete 03-18-2009 01:42 PM

I'm new to batwings but I think HD could have done much better at sealing the windshield area so water could'nt get inside the fairing during washing. Kinda dissapointed the way my SG is, The trash bag idea sounds good

Geoff 03-18-2009 02:09 PM

Seems like the Harmon Kardon radio is more sensitive to water than the previous one.

sholder 03-18-2009 03:47 PM

So how do you guys wash and rinse your inner fairing? My first batwing too, and would like to keep it shiney without encountering this type of issue.