Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 RKC - Chubby bars, heated grips, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
EriCal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 RKC - Chubby bars, heated grips, etc

I have just finished installing HD Chubby Bars, Chrome Throttle and Clutch Housing, Heated Grips, misc chrome etd on my 09 Road King C.

1. HD says you need the extended electronic throttle control to make this swap. Not true - the OE control is just fine.

2. HD says you need a new clamp cover in the center. No. The OE cover fits just fine.

3. HD says the heated hand grips are not compatible with internally-wired bars. I had no problem running the wires thru the bars altho I DID have to make a small alteration to the left grip and the lower left switch housing.

Sooooo, if you plan these changes, take heart. It is not difficult, merely time-consuming. If you are going to attempt this, contact me.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails 09 RKC - Chubby bars, heated grips, etc-eric.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Heritage_100
Stage II

Could you take couple of pictures about left grip and left switch housing and attach them to your message?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to put the heated grips on, but I too ran the wires inside my Chubby Bars. The Service Mgr told me the reason for NOT doing it, is because everything is so close, and the heat that is generated from the grips could possible cause a meltdown. While I questioned this at the time, I didn't put them on. I wish I had in retrospect, so thanks for the post. If I pull these bars off for any reason I might reconsider. But it was a pain for me with just the wiring that I had to get through there w/o the heated grips. If you can do it all together I'm sure it would be easier than trying to fish that grip wiring through after the fact.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
EriCal
Cruiser

For Heritage and Big Sky

I have 'HotGrips' heated grips on my treasured 95 RK and had also put them on my BS's (Beloved Spouse) 02 RKC (now gone). I previously installed HD heated grips on her 07 RKC with Chubby Bars and just completed the same install on my 09 RKC.

I have NEVER had a problem with any of these heated grips. My Stealer also discorourages them, because, I think, they have had difficulties with the installations and come-backs. I don't think the grips could EVER get hot enough to cause problems. The wiring is too light and the fuses are small. In any case, mine (on 5 bikes) have not.

There are two bundled wires that go from the right grip to the left grip thru the handle bar. The only thing I have changed is routing the three-wire bundle from the left grip thru the bar to the center outlet and then to the bike.

I have attached four pics. The first is of an unmodified left grip, the next two of the modified grip, the last one a diagram of the mod to the left lower switch housing. Sorry, I do not have a pic of the actual.

The mod to the grip is just a rectangular cut out in the 'flange' of the grip. Easily done with a utility knife. The flange is just hard rubber or equivalent. Three minutes effort.

The mod to the housing is to remove a portion of divider as shown. I removed perhaps 3/16 inch. Just enough for the wire. You cannot see this after the bike is assembled. I used a dremel with a coarse sanding sleeve to modify the housing. This mod allows the three wire bundle to go into the lower switch housing and then into the bar. Three minutes effort.

I think heated grips are great. They are of the greatest value when it is only moderately cold. You know, when it is not cold enough to make you stop and change gloves but cold enough to impair your hands. Not a cure all, just a bit more comfort.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails 09 RKC - Chubby bars, heated grips, etc-oe-grip.jpg   09 RKC - Chubby bars, heated grips, etc-grip-mod-d.jpg   09 RKC - Chubby bars, heated grips, etc-grip-mod-d-1.jpg   09 RKC - Chubby bars, heated grips, etc-lwr-sw-cvr.jpg  
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

more pics...