Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley XM Radio add on

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Harley XM Radio add on

My dealer tells me I can add on a XM radio kit that uses my factory radio and controls that gives a much cleaner look than putting another unit on my bars.
Big Dollars about 500. Does anyone have this set up ?? If so, what do u think of it and how well or not does it work. I thank you all in advance for your replies and advice.

Be Safe JIM

Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at it, along with the Zumo GPS -- with the XM setup. I've got a Roady XT that my son used until he got a new car with builtin system. I was going to turn that receiver off, but after looking at prices I've decided to just stay with it. I hooked it up today and it worked great.

My plan is to put it in the windshield bag rather than mount it on the handlebars. The Roady has more than enough presets so that I can set all my favorite stations. If I did a lot of station searches I might see having it mounted on the bars. Since I only listen to maybe 8 or 10 stations I can set them on a preset button and then just reach into the bag to change stations. I don't need to see the name of the song or other stuff, I just need some good tunes/talk when I'm riding.

For what it's worth, the money I'm not spending on a fancier GPS and XM setup will go for other goodies, so it's really just of question of what do you want to spend your money on.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:23 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It is just that, big dough for something that you can get cheaper and/or better elsewhere. I did, however, go that route. I wanted to have a nice clean install with nothing clamped on the bars that I had to unplug and take with when leaving the bike somewhere. I was able to find a unit on e-bay (or this forum, don't remember which) for less than the cost of stock H-D. I can't tell you much about how it is as I just put it in for part of the winter project and then friggin dropped the bike on a test run and am still waiting for the dealer to give it back. I hope that will be today. I have had satelite radio in my car for awhile and I love the heck out of that.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:26 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Marvincbr, Please let me know what you think after you have the time to check it out on the road while riding. I also will only get it if I get a deal. Thanks for the reply, Be safe JIM

Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Bigredone
Road Master

Another drawback is that the XM module doesn't produce the volume of FM radio for some reason.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 AM
mikeflht
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the HD unit installed on my 08 before I picked it up. It works great. XM is all I listen to in my vehicles and on my motorcycle. I know the HD unit is expense, but it sure gives you a clean installation.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 AM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredone
Another drawback is that the XM module doesn't produce the volume of FM radio for some reason.
Huh? Mine cranks equally loud on AM, FM, CD, or XM (even weather band). It's not as full featured as the Roady or SkyFi2 units I have in my truck and boat, but it is much easier to deal with on a bike since everything is right under the thumbs.

Harry

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

It's only $$$ Go ahead and stimulate the economy....

Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My volume is the same as my other channels too. You can buy everything you need from Chicago HD for 20% off that price. I've started out with a XM handle bar mount unit and it was OK. But you have to worry about weather, taking it off when you stop, and you can't use the HD controls to change channels. I went with the HD unit and it's much better. You can install it yourself in a hour. It's expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Bigredone
Road Master

It may be something they fixed since 2006. There has been numerous post about it in the past.

Quick Reply: Harley XM Radio add on