Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin’ Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit

Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Ultra EG
HDR, I am getting ready to do this conversion on my '02 EG. Where did you get the kit from and did it have everything you needed? I am looking at the Andrews 26N for cams. Plan on doing the work myself with help from a friend. We rode on New Year's day here in Colorado but it was 60* here.
You can get all of the part #'s on the Andrews website. I used their 26N cams and ordered all the parts from Zanotti's. They had the cheapest price on the oil pump, way less than everyone else.

The oil pressure increased from 32 to around 45 (halfway between 32 & 60).

or H-D has their own kit available. Part # is in another thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They had the cheapest price on the oil pump, way less than everyone else.
I had the same experience, couldn't believe how cheap the pump was.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how hard is it to do the job yourself?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
gambitious
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought an 06' roadglide new from my local dealership. had the 95" w/ htcc heads & 257 cams & race tuner installed b4 taking del. spit & sputtered for 999 miles(had to wait till a thousand 2 put it on the dyno) & crashed @999 breaking the frame (along with just about everything else) in 4 places. ins. re- everythinged it, and then 50 miles from sturgis(i live in florida) 07' a lifter went and took out everything. it was a "box job". had to be shipped back to my local dealership who thankfully did all the work...AGAIN. ran up my credit card doing sturgis & yellowstone & the smokies on the way back all on rentals. this time around they blamed faulty lifters that not surprisingly H.D. had just re-designed. sooo, in go the new lifters. i get a divorce. i hardly ride. i ride a little and start hearing noises. thankfully, i kept all my 88" original parts. i tell them to re-store it to stock, but there's been some damage on the cam support plate and pump- which i saw today with my own eyes. was told about this new hydraulic unit complete with up-graded oil pump and told them to order it and put it in. my bike is paid for. it's my favorite model harley makes, and i plan on keeping it a loooong time. sure, i have some digs about H.D. and their "screamin' eagle" parts, but i've had my fill of fast. i just want to putt, in style, w/o soooo many worries.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK all - let's hear some updates on your experiences with this mod - how are you liking your SE hydraulic tensioner/cam plate/oil pump kit by now? How much did you spend to get it put it in? Did stick with stock cams or upgrade?

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and would love to hear about your experience with this.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, i can't say that i like it or hate it, i don't really notice any difference, which i guess is a good thing. Its one of those things that it either works or it doesn't, and in my case, its worked well, glad that i had it installed.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had it installed along with Andrews 26N cams and noticed a good performance boost. This was before I did my big bore.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Black-Sheep
Stage I
Default Tensioner ?

Just bought an 02' Ultra Classic Police Special Edition with 27,000 miles.

I scheduled an appointment to have the stock tensioners replaced with the hydraulic tensioner kit, cam plates, bearings etc... w/ oil pump upgrade --- and I went ahead and threw in a set of lifters while in there, as to not have to worry about a lifter ticking after the tensioner install, and have to tear into it again and change the lifters...

Total parts and labor is $989.00

There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here, so I figured, you folks could tell me if that was an average cost?

Thanks...

Old 05-29-2010, 04:12 PM
shortbox
Novice

My 2006 Street Glide spun a cam bearing and is currently in the shop with 35800 miles on it. Just wanted to pass this along, the dealer said they will be putting in Timken bearings instead of Harley bearings because they are a better bearing. They have gotten the extended warranty people to go along with and pay for Timken bearings.

I purchased the 7 year unlimited mileage extended warranty when I bought the bike so the screeming eagle upgrade kit will cost me $300 but the warranty will pay for everything else including new cams.

If you can afford it buy the extra warranty if you intend to ride the bike for any length of time. So far the warranty work on mine has included new front motor mount, cracked rear head pipe (caused by bad mount), injector replacement, swing arm bearings replacement, fairing brackets (twice), and now the cam compmartment replacement parts/labor. They will fix up to 4 items at one time for the $50 co-pay any more than that the warranty people want to come out and look at things before they pay which could lay up the bike for quite a bit of time. This is on a bike that has had the maintenance performed at a dealer every 5K miles except for fluid changes which I do myself. Most of my miles are highway miles and the bike has never seen red line, seems like quite a few problems for a bike that has not been abused.

Dealer said they have bikes with the new hydraulic cam tensioner kits in them with over 50K miles and no problems. We will see!!!!

Shortbox

Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

ok i'm jumpin in on this too
gonna spend the money today unless someone can text me not to cuz there is something better.
don't bother pm ing me send me a text 714 717 7747
will be at the dealer by noon and have parts scattered far and wide shortly after...
anyone do it themselves? and special tools I cant live with out?

2005 electraglide 88 inch internally stock
k&n filter, supertrapp 2-1, late model breathers, 60k on the bottom end, 30k on the top end.

thanx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screamin’ Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit