Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your opinion on best rain gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 AM
iambill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question your opinion on best rain gear?

I need to finally buy 2 sets of rain gear. I have read many threads on this subject and have some ideas ( H.D., Frog's toggs etc ). I do not want to upgrade in the future, however I am not rich either.
So what I am looking for is waterproof ,( for an 8 hour wet ride if need be ) heat shielded legs, ( no melting on our pretty pipes ) and breathable ( sweat is as uncomfortable as rain ).
Liners would be nice too! ( always colder when it rains ). Oh ya some reflective material as well.

So what do you all think??

Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your local military surplus store for some GORE-TEX rain gear. while you're there, ask about some POLYPRO thermal underwear (lightweight, wicks sweat, works). slap on a reflectorized vest for visibility.

Yes, these are the items I use if/when I ride in the rain. P.S. don't forget the boots and gloves (unless you already have a waterproof set).

Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the HD Overpass II rain set and love it. It is warm but still breathes enough to not make you overheat in hot weather. I rode in heavy rain for three hours last summer returning from Sturgis and was perfectly dry and comfortable under the suit. My only compaint is it doesn't pack a small as those thin ones, but I think it is a good trade off for the protection I get.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

HD Overpass II here. Given your criteria; quality, price and durability, I think these will work well for you. I've owned a set for three years and they work great. A little warm when the sun came out but they worked well enough during heavy rain and as an overgarment for 30d temps (I ride at high elevations in CO) that the heat is forgiven.

I bought my Overpass through Ebay but recently found a new HD (Packable Rain Gear #98028-09VW) set for my wife from Chicago HD. The new one retailed for $129 locally by CHD sold it to me for $103. With those savings I think you can upgrade.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HD men's high visibility rain suit; fairly light-weight and very packable and comes in it's own small roll bag. I love it! I also looked at the Overpass gear, but I wanted the brighter colors and more reflective material than the Overpass II had. Last December I had a friend follow me in the rain and snow from the SoCal high desert to Tucson AZ. He had the Overpass II and told be during the ride that the big reflective HD Bar and Shield on the back of my suit etched his eyes...he said it was amazing. After seeing my High-Vis suit and how it packs down he wishes he'd have bought that vice the Overpass II.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
iambill
Tourer

Well it looks like I just might go with the H.D. rain gear ( was trying to avoid it knowing anything with "H.D." on it always costs more ). But I seems like you are all happy with it.
Now to decide if I want the " Dade county " orange or " Battle ship " grey.

thx all >)

Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

Motorcycle Consumer News (the Consumer Reports of the motorcycle industry) rated the Tour Master Elite II two piece rain suit as the top rated of all those tested and it is one of the cheaper ones........

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...et-p-84_8.html

Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
iambill
Tourer

I did read the motorcycle comsumer report on that gear. The only thing is the pants dont have the heat guard, and I can just see those melting on our pipes

Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I like First Gear brand "Rainman" set. Very well designed, outer cinch straps can be adjusted even with gloves on. Beware of Tourmaster stuff, sizing charts are way way off.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For when I use leathers, I have a set of 1st gear gortex pants (with a heat shield) and a gortex parka from the Windriver outlet store which is located not far from here. Both work well, especially the parka which lets me the hood up under the helment and prevents rain from the helmet going down the back of my kneck. When buying pants look at the boot opening. The wider and longer the better to get them over your boots but make sure they have a gusset in the opening. Note nowadays I have pretty well gone to waterproof fabric gear.

Quick Reply: your opinion on best rain gear?