Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Ultra OEM Radio to Aftermarket??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Shropdog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Ultra OEM Radio to Aftermarket??

I have a '96 Ultra with the stock AM-FM Cassette stereo and want to upgrade to a stereo with a CD player. There are some good deals on eBay on marine grade / RV radios and am curious if anyone has made the switch....especially as it relates to the wiring connectors (don't want to lose the ability to use the handlebar controls on the stereo). I am an electrical idiot and a "plug and play" situation is best for me. By the way, thanks GasCan for a great article on the fairing removal. Any thoughts / guidance is appreciated!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

I looked in to doing the same thing to my 96 Ultra before I decided to sell it. Biketronics sells Retroradio kits that allow you to keep the handlebar controls, but you will lose the use of the CB and intercom going this route. My suggestion would be to get an mp3 player and a cassette adapter and keep the stock radio. If it breaks, Radio Sound in Louisville, KY will swap it for a refurbed one for about $135. I used the mp3 function on my Zumo and never really missed the CD. Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 there hamnhog....or just go through ebay and craigs list to see if you can find one of the newer ones.......but the biketronics kit is a nice one i installed it in a friends bike.....

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
hcmiller92
Advanced

Originally Posted by hamnhog
I looked in to doing the same thing to my 96 Ultra before I decided to sell it. Biketronics sells Retroradio kits that allow you to keep the handlebar controls, but you will lose the use of the CB and intercom going this route. My suggestion would be to get an mp3 player and a cassette adapter and keep the stock radio. If it breaks, Radio Sound in Louisville, KY will swap it for a refurbed one for about $135. I used the mp3 function on my Zumo and never really missed the CD. Hope this helps.
+1

The stock radio is really superb. The cassette adapter (when they work!) provide uncompromised fidelity through the radio and you maintain full function. I plug my iPod into the adapter and have unlimited music at my fingertips. Even CDs are ancient technology today because they are so big and bulky, while a tiny mp3 player can carry thousands of songs.

Curt

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Shropdog
4th Gear

Great suggestions guys! One more question, you mention a cassette adaptor for the MP3 player....I remember the ones to use for CDs (cassette w/ wire to a CD player - bulky!)...do you know a retailer or the manufacturers name for the cassette to MP3 adaptor? Again...thanks!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shropdog
Great suggestions guys! One more question, you mention a cassette adaptor for the MP3 player....I remember the ones to use for CDs (cassette w/ wire to a CD player - bulky!)...do you know a retailer or the manufacturers name for the cassette to MP3 adaptor? Again...thanks!
I got my last two from Radio Shack (I use one in my truck, also). I bought one from Staples but it was a piece of crap and I returned it. Don't know brand names right off, but most electronics retailers should have them. It's the same adapter you're talking about above: cassette with a wire that ends in a connector that plugs into the mp3 player headset socket.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Shropdog
4th Gear

Thanks and just found a new one on eBay made by Delphi Electronics for $5.00, including shipping. Now I will swipe my son's MP3 player and be all set! Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:16 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went the biketronics route. I never in 85,000 miles used the cb or intercom, so I don't miss it. The Sony head unit sounds way better than stock, then I added an amp and hog pod tweeter set-up from Pez at Hogtunes. Sounds awesome! Thanks again, Pez!

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Ultra OEM Radio to Aftermarket??-dcp_1918.jpg   1996 Ultra OEM Radio to Aftermarket??-dcp_1919.jpg