Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 PM
MatadorMkV
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have this problem?...Yes, as a matter of fact I do, and this is what they did to my shock boots on one 300 mile trip!

Just wanted to throw this out there and say that, anyone who is thinking it's a cheap, temporary fix until you can get something else, think again...unless you don't mind ripping your shock boots. Mine are BOTH ripped like this. Oh, and you can't replace them, unless you want to do the Monroe shock thing.

Yes, it is the right kit for the bike. Mine is a 2009 FLHTC...purchased new only 5 months ago.

I actually saw this thread BEFORE I bought them and was concerned about this. The guy at Road6Customs told me that the boots would rip from age before they'd rip from the lowering kit. Oh really? Mine ripped in one day. Actually, they probably tore the minute I mounted them. I think they tend to rip more on the first hole than on the 2" or 3" setting. Oh, and it's not the hex bolt that causes it either. It has to do with the fact that the piston is a larger diameter than the width of the shock mount. The lowering block sits flush on the shock mount, but the metal that surrounds the mounting bolt that smashes the boot against the shock piston...especially in the 1" setting.

I wouldn't say the kit is junk...it just doesn't fit well.

Weird thing...before I bought the kit (and I purchased the Progressive drop-in fork kit also from them) the guy at Road6 was returning my emails within minutes. Now that I have a problem, I haven't had a reply for two days now. I guess they COULD be away or something...always try to be as fair as I can.

If the problem was just a $40 kit that didn't work right, it wouldn't be a big deal, but when it ruins something on your bike like a shock boot, a wiring harness, or perhaps a swingarm...is it even worth it?

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-dscf0152.jpg  

Last edited by MatadorMkV; 08-23-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:44 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have had them on 3 of my bikes with no problems

Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 AM
MatadorMkV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by streetgliderick
i have had them on 3 of my bikes with no problems
Did you use the 1" setting? If you did, I don't see how you got away without ripping the boots.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Road6Customs
Intermediate

We have litterally sold THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of these kits. Its normal for the boot to rub, there is no way really around that, but for it to tear is something else. My personal bike is an 09 Road Glide with a little over 12,000 miles on the lowering kit, set in the second (2" setting) no holes in the boots, never bottoms out, and my wiring harness is fine. If your having problems bottoming out, adjust the air pressure in your shocks. I run about 30psi in mine, and with the increased angle of the shocks it rides about like it did stock. We can ride 2 up with loaded bags no problem.

As for you Russ... I've offered every imaginable solution to help you out including a refund, ording you a kit from another manufacturer for you to try at my expense, AND even offered to get you a set of low profile shocks at dealer pricing. I dont really know what else I could have done. I try to respond to all of my emails every day but sometimes there are too many questions to get through. You have my number, i've talked to you on the phone more than once. You could have just called.

There is no reason why these kits should ever cause an issue. As mentioned THOUSANDS of these have been sold and I have personally installed countless sets of them and many of the guys we ride with have them with zero issues. CONTACT US for help if your having a problem, we want our parts to work on your bike!

If for some reason you cant reach us by email, we have a phone number. We are open from 9 to 6 Central Standard time Monday through Friday and open Saturday mornings. 402-759-4816

The following users liked this post:
dfwamc (04-03-2020)
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

I was thinking about these for the 1" drop in back but I am a little worried now. Not about the customer service......sounds like it is intact. Has any of your other customers complained about using the first hole. Heck, I would use the second but I am worried about scraping boards as I like to lean quite a bit. Probably just paranoid

Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MatadorMkV
Did you use the 1" setting? If you did, I don't see how you got away without ripping the boots.
yes i did use the 1 inch setting witout any problems on 3 of my bikes and now on my 2011 roadie. still no issues.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

humm...

lp

Last edited by lp; 09-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

all my friends bought them and no problems i know if u dont do what the instructions say u might have problems. u should have taken the owners offers instead of coming on here and telling everyone. sounds to me like he wanted to help why didnt u take him up on it. i have used all three settings from 1 inch to 2, 3, inches and my shock boots are fine. when u install these kits u need to drop the bike to the ground when its on the ground everything goes into place and then u tighten the kit up and your done. i know the bolt slightly hits the shock bolt but i have never seen my boots torn my wifes bike is the samething nothings torn. as well as my other bikes i had them on. iam not trying to be a ******** but i dont see how anyone could tear up the boots like u did just sayin.
Rick

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-100_1430.jpg   Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-100_1431.jpg   Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-100_1432.jpg   Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-100_1433.jpg   Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-100_1434.jpg  

Last edited by roadgliderick; 09-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

review update,,just got back from my first trip with 2 up and loaded sence I instaled,,,well things went sour when we hit some bad roads especialy when going at speeds(70-75).did the install last winter and all was well until,,, and another factor was a new tire in july that causes you to loose a lot of clearence.

bottomed out! at 1 inch hole with 35 and 45 psi

so your situation might change..as I experienced

Now ive got some thinkin to do..btw combined wait is 300 and im 200

whats a good shock that wont bottom out and lower 1 inch?? heard something again and again about 940 proggressives?? help!

(not bashing this product..it was great until..)

Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
MNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it, but that's why you have bags, to cover that ugly boot. I have the same lowering kit on my fltr and ride it on the 2nd setting with 30psi. It's probably really nothing to worry about. If you want some piece of mind, check out the dyna forum and look up HD airshocks on all those bikes with the belt guard rubbing on the boot and stuff. They don't seem to mind.
And from what i read, the 07's have 1" less space under rear fender than the newer frame bikes have.

Last edited by MNrider; 09-01-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit