Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit

Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 AM
MatadorMkV
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetgliderick
all my friends bought them and no problems i know if u dont do what the instructions say u might have problems. u should have taken the owners offers instead of coming on here and telling everyone. sounds to me like he wanted to help why didnt u take him up on it. i have used all three settings from 1 inch to 2, 3, inches and my shock boots are fine. when u install these kits u need to drop the bike to the ground when its on the ground everything goes into place and then u tighten the kit up and your done. i know the bolt slightly hits the shock bolt but i have never seen my boots torn my wifes bike is the samething nothings torn. as well as my other bikes i had them on. iam not trying to be a ******** but i dont see how anyone could tear up the boots like u did just sayin.
Rick
Seth DID offer the LA chopper kit and the Burly kit. I called LA and they said that they really only intend their kit to be used when riding one up. I called Burly and they recommend removing the boots. I asked if dirt would ruin the seals. They said, "Eventually, yes, but lowering blocks are just meant to be a cheap, temporary fix." So, I really didn't see any reason to take Seth up on either of those.

He also offered to get me HD or Progressive shocks at a discount...which was actually a very good discount, but I was able to get a new set of HD shocks just a little cheaper on my own.

I guess what bothers me the most is that I saw the original poster's pictures before ordering the kit and called Road6 to specifically ask if the contact would cause the boots to tear. They told me that they would not tear. It's just a bummer that my bike is less than 6 months old and both boots are already ripped...and there isn't anything anyone can do about it because the boots are not replaceable.

Guys, I still have the kit. When I jack the bike up to put on the new shocks, I am first going to remove the boots from my stock shocks and then install the lowering blocks once again to see if they actually rub against the shock piston. IF, I end up with metal-to-metal, then it's obvious why the boots tore.

By the way...once again...it's NOT the BOLT that tore the shock boot...it's the top edge of the lowering block (when the bike is lowered and everything goes into place) that smashes the boot against the shock. If I thought it was the hex bolt, I would have replaced the bolt with a round, socket-head bolt.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 PM
MatadorMkV
Intermediate

Well folks, here are pictures I promised. This is with the lowering kit installed on the 1" position. Hopefully, you can see that there IS metal-to-metal contact between the lower portion of the shock's piston and the top edge of the lowering block.

The other pictures are just to let you know that they were installed correctly. The spacer is shown at the top, and yes, the bike was lowered before all bolts were tighten so yes, the large steel circular piece welded to the back of the lowering block was seated firmly against the swingarm. In fact, the block doesn't make contact with the shock UNTIL the bike is lowered. Just saying this because a guy here referred to me as a "********" (very colorful) for even thinking that someone could actually rip a shock boot with these things. Heck, there's even a mark on the shock where the block hit it!

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-dscf0159.jpg   Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-dscf0161.jpg   Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-dscf0162.jpg   Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit-dscf0163.jpg  

Last edited by MatadorMkV; 09-06-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MatadorMkV
Well folks, here are pictures I promised. This is with the lowering kit installed on the 1" position. Hopefully, you can see that there IS metal-to-metal contact between the lower portion of the shock's piston and the top edge of the lowering block.

The other pictures are just to let you know that they were installed correctly. The spacer is shown at the top, and yes, the bike was lowered before all bolts were tighten so yes, the large steel circular piece welded to the back of the lowering block was seated firmly against the swingarm. In fact, the block doesn't make contact with the shock UNTIL the bike is lowered. Just saying this because a guy here referred to me as a "********" (very colorful) for even thinking that someone could actually rip a shock boot with these things. Heck, there's even a mark on the shock where the block hit it!
hold on now u need to re read my post i DIDNT call u a ******** what i said was i dont mean to sound like a ********.

The following users liked this post:
dfwamc (04-03-2020)
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 AM
MatadorMkV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by streetgliderick
hold on now u need to re read my post i DIDNT call u a ******** what i said was i dont mean to sound like a ********.
Ahh....right you are. I'm very sorry.

The following users liked this post:
dfwamc (04-03-2020)
Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thank u very much.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
review update,,just got back from my first trip with 2 up and loaded sence I instaled,,,well things went sour when we hit some bad roads especialy when going at speeds(70-75).did the install last winter and all was well until,,, and another factor was a new tire in july that causes you to loose a lot of clearence.

bottomed out! at 1 inch hole with 35 and 45 psi

so your situation might change..as I experienced

Now ive got some thinkin to do..btw combined wait is 300 and im 200

whats a good shock that wont bottom out and lower 1 inch?? heard something again and again about 940 proggressives?? help!

(not bashing this product..it was great until..)
To lower the bike almost an inch, try Harley's Profile Low shocks. I use them and did not notice any ride difference, plus they will fit properly.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM
mwatson1647
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bellgnte
I was thinking about these for the 1" drop in back but I am a little worried now. Not about the customer service......sounds like it is intact. Has any of your other customers complained about using the first hole. Heck, I would use the second but I am worried about scraping boards as I like to lean quite a bit. Probably just paranoid
Just wanted to find out if you ever installed the Road 6 Custom lowering kit on your 09 FLHR. I have the same bike and was thinking of doing the same myself.

Thanks

Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chasswartz
The only problem I had was bottomong out and destoying my rear wireing harness.
ditto.

I relocated the harness to run over the fender instead of under it. also pulled the harness clamp.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went out and got extra spacers...the kit comes with some for the top, I added some to the bottom.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or you guys could just give ron a call at bitchin baggers and send him your shocks, get them back in a few days and be very happy

i sent mine out to him and had him do them to 11" for me and my wifes weight.. bike looks great and rides alot better then when i had lowering blocks on.

and its cheap!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have this problem with the Road 6 Customs lowering kit