Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Old 08-08-2017, 03:05 AM
Darkride
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneRanger65
yes, I'm about 260 and started riding a passenger (120), I've been bottoming out a few times and the metal on metal goes right through me. Have the original hd air shocks set at 30. I'm presently shopping for a better shock. the progressive heavy duty was recommended but now I've been reading a lot about these olsteens. Decisions, decisions,,,,
ps no bottoming out at all 2 up at 15. I think I will take some out riding 1 up and benefit from the air ride. I could have gone the progressive route but so far really like the one's I bought for a quarter the price. My next project is the front end. If its mickey mouse like the rear it can only help.
your weight range and mine are similar. I put a set of oem originals on Friday. At 15 lbs my wife and I can ride fine. Without her its a but stiff but has eliminate my front wheel shimmy under heavy cornering. I am glad I did it. Just a note. Check your manual. Mine us a 99 and says max psi is 20lb's. Good luck!

Last edited by Darkride; 08-08-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:54 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

I've been playing with pressures in mine, and yet to find the sweet spot with the 10 Ultra. I'm now going to go down to 30 lbs with 2 up.

So far above that, 35, 40, 45, 50 going over bumps, wife really feels the rear hammering, and I tell she's feeling it.

So, just thinking out loud here, how do you know if your shocks are ok on the bike? Is there a way to check.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:03 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kel03
I've been playing with pressures in mine, and yet to find the sweet spot with the 10 Ultra. I'm now going to go down to 30 lbs with 2 up.

So far above that, 35, 40, 45, 50 going over bumps, wife really feels the rear hammering, and I tell she's feeling it.

So, just thinking out loud here, how do you know if your shocks are ok on the bike? Is there a way to check.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not a bandwagon kind of guy, but I also don't look to re-invent the wheel either. That being said, I just ditched my air shocks for a set of custom valved Ohlins Blacklines. I went with the tall 13"+ model with lotsa stroke for my RKC. Night and day difference, that's all I'm gonna say.

I was never able to find a sweet spot with the air shocks either, and I ride solo 99% of the time.
My shocks had about 12K miles on them, never leaked, and weren't worn out. They were just mediocre.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm one to not mind the OEM air shocks.
Granted I came from a sporty & soft tail, to the 2009 Road King that I now have for the past 3 years....

I discovered not one, not 2 .... but 3 defective air pumps with inaccurate pressures!! 2 HD pumps & one aftermarket. I now just use the pump as the pump and do NOT trust that gauge.

Since I work with pneumatics at my work, I decided to design and make a remote Air fill valve block, WITH a gauge.

It's aluminum, then I had it anodized ... then I personally laser etched a logo in it.

I made 2 large ones & one smaller one. The smaller one can only use a smaller gauge & is harder to see the psi reading, but the larger one has a full sweep gauge that is extremely easy to see. (Then I found a liquid filled gauge we had laying around .... that's the one that's on it now).

Drilling a small hole in the side of the saddle bag is required, along with a "T" at the left shock and a couple additional air fittings.... the results were outstanding!!!

I'm sure these "other shock options" are indeed very nice, and most likely a "better ride"... but the OEM air shocks really are not that bad and I have NO complaints ....especially now I know I have correct air pressures in them.

I will most likely do a new thread just on this "modification" in the near future.

Pics:

Attached Thumbnails Rear shock air pressure-photo404.jpg   Rear shock air pressure-photo304.jpg   Rear shock air pressure-photo852.jpg   Rear shock air pressure-photo205.jpg   Rear shock air pressure-photo121.jpg  

Rear shock air pressure-photo934.jpg   Rear shock air pressure-photo143.jpg   Rear shock air pressure-photo405.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
kel03 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 PM
damquick1
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just last week I scored a set of 13" premium hand adjustables off EBay for $105, only had 300 miles on them!
I installed them and it's a night and day difference... adjusted them to one click and now my back isn't getting pounded like before. I had no real issues with the air shocks, but I just couldn't get them set properly for me and the leakdown hassle was getting old.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by damquick1
... adjusted them to one click and now my back isn't getting pounded like before. I had no real issues with the air shocks, but I just couldn't get them set properly for me and the leakdown hassle was getting old.
Same here on all accounts. I was living with the air shocks but getting pounded pretty hard on the SF city streets and it was getting old, esp. when I knew there was a (relatively) affordable fix.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Lethal Weapon "I discovered not one, not 2 .... but 3 defective air pumps with inaccurate pressures!! 2 HD pumps & one aftermarket. I now just use the pump as the pump and do NOT trust that gauge. "

Thanks, I hear you on the pump, that's why I checked with my other gauge to make sure. I find after a ride, the pressure goes up, and quite a bit. Not sure if that's normal, that's why I'm going to a lower pressure to start with. Lethal Weapon, nice job on the blocks

Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,720 Likes on 6,884 Posts

No more air pressure to screw with.

No more checking every week, adding air and dealing with failed air lines or worse yet failed expensive air shocks that are JUNK.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Check out Pro-Action, Ohlin, Legend or Progressive.

If you ever experience how much better your bike can both ride and handle with no air adjustments you will be amazed!

Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Lethal Weapon "I discovered not one, not 2 .... but 3 defective air pumps with inaccurate pressures!! 2 HD pumps & one aftermarket. I now just use the pump as the pump and do NOT trust that gauge. "

Thanks, I hear you on the pump, that's why I checked with my other gauge to make sure. I find after a ride, the pressure goes up, and quite a bit. Not sure if that's normal, that's why I'm going to a lower pressure to start with. Lethal Weapon, nice job on the blocks
Thank you!
I'm quite pleased!

Again, I'm sure all these other shocks mentioned do work and perform well, but I'm still happy with the OEM air shocks.... especially when I've got no issues.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:48 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

small amount of air at pressure. those shock pumps do not let any air out when you put on/off. checking with an ordinary gauge will. good luck

pre/post 2009 (I think) shocks had different max pressure 20 vs. 50. know which one you have.
Then when you get tired of those air shocks get a good set of Ohlins custom fitted for you by Howard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure