Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I have the saddlebag under lid organizer http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US. The pump fits perfectly in it on the same side as the fitting.
1st time I've seen these. Great spot for SEPST, reg/ins papers and other misc stuff. Thanks

Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Off topic alittle, I thought that the location of the air valve behind, and having to remove the saddlebag to be kind of a pain in the ***. So, I picked up a 8 inch air valve extention and permanently installed it. Now all I have to do is reach in behind the passengers seat, remove the cap, attach pump, to adjust the shock pressure with the HD pump.
In this day and age on $22K plus touring motorcycles, I can't understand why HD doesn't permanently install an on board manual or electric pump.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Off topic alittle, I thought that the location of the air valve behind, and having to remove the saddlebag to be kind of a pain in the ***.
Stock location is perfect. Just open the saddlebag lid and attach the pump.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Ricochet59
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension air pump

I did a quick search on line and found a pump at half of what HD charges.
http://www.chopperscycle.com/SUSPENS...viewsTabAnchor

Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 AM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ricochet59
I did a quick search on line and found a pump at half of what HD charges.
http://www.chopperscycle.com/SUSPENSION/Shocks/Air-Shock-Pump-With-0-p7530540.html#ReviewsTabAnchor
. That's the same pump I have works great.Only problem ,the plastic lens would come off while traveling.A little silocone sealer did the trick.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM
bpsrdm
Stage I
Default 06 Electa Glide, and i weigh around 240, In need of assistance with shocks

I was reading the forum and think from what i have read that i should probably be running about 35 psi for my rear shocks... my weight is 241 ..... i ride around in the winter time more ... probably 5-15 times a month and was wondering also how often i should check the pressure.

Thank you for your help
-Rex

P.S. what kind of pump would you suggest

Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
silverpintobean
Stage I

Originally Posted by bpsrdm
I was reading the forum and think from what i have read that i should probably be running about 35 psi for my rear shocks... my weight is 241 ..... i ride around in the winter time more ... probably 5-15 times a month and was wondering also how often i should check the pressure.

Thank you for your help
-Rex

P.S. what kind of pump would you suggest
im thinkin 35 psi is a good option but im in the same ballpark and i was wondering same question but just when im going around town should i lower it .... i saw a few people do ... but didnt know if it was a good idea for weight

Old 10-10-2010, 11:57 AM
WillieBear
6th Gear
Thumbs up

I am new to the forum.
Thanks to you all for great information that I have read on this site so far.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:53 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
I'm either bottoming out or feeling bone jarring impacts over bumps. I need to spend a day riding with five pound variances until I get it right.
The Ultra seems to handle real well but it can be harsh over the rough stuff.
That describes where I'm at. I've never messed with the air pressure but I see there's a pump in one of the saddlebags put there by the previous owner so I should use it. I'm 260 lbs so based on what I'm reading in this thread I'd guess I should put them at 20-25 psi.

VR

Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM
fltrxdave
Stage II

Originally Posted by slime_dog
The pressure WILL leak out over time. So, the dealer may not have been negligent. The suspension pressure should be checked on a regular basis. It is also my opinion that the pump should be supplied as part of the purchase price since the pressue is a critical maintenance item - bordering on a safety item.
Hmmm....mine was leaking too. The valve stem core just needed tightened. Once i figured that out, it hasnt leaked down more than a couple of pounds of where you set it even if after some time. How many of you run outside to check that crapola? Haha

Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure