Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CFR exhaust pipes - anything required ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 AM
endinmaine
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CFR exhaust pipes - anything required ?

Have not seen anything on this question,,, I am thinking about buying CFR exhaust pipes,,
- is there any danger the engine pipes will turn blue ?
- is a tuning required before/after ?
- is there any danger to the engine ?

Thanks in advance,,

Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have not had any issues with blue. i ran the bike w/ just a power vision tuner for cpl thousend miles w/o issues. i had it dyno'ed and tuned once i installed cams.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by endinmaine
Have not seen anything on this question,,, I am thinking about buying CFR exhaust pipes,,

Thanks in advance,,
if it's a stock bike, knock yourself out, they work well here. anything other than that, don't waste your time or $ with CFR. they sound incredible and are beautiful pipes but you sacrifice performance with even mild builds.

as for your questions;
- only reasons they'll turn blue is if you don't install them properly and exhaust leaks are present or if the bike is not tuned properly. Running lean = blue pipes, running rich or hotter than normal = yellow-ish discoloration

- depends. have you done anything else to the motor? upgraded air cleaner? different head pipe?

- not normally but if you've changed multiple components, get it tuned or get you a tuner and do it yourself.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-23-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

I bought some used CFR's and the RT pipe had started to turn goldish where the pipe slides into the header. I ran them with a stock "cat" pipe. They didn't seem to get any worse. Great sound. As long as you just change the mufflers and not the air box or headpipe no tuner is required.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 AM
endinmaine
3rd Gear

Bike is completely stock,,, glad to hear no tuning is required with the CFRs. I don't want to mess up anything.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Any pipe can blue due to a lean mixture. I run the CFR's with a power commander 5 and a set of head pipes. I have the S/E heavy breather. I bought the bike like this and no bluing in 30k miles so far. I have one set of smooth chrome left in stock still.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Bagger71
Tourer

Originally Posted by endinmaine

Thanks in advance,,

I Have a set for sale with about 3500 miles on them and no bluing whatsoever. Asking $450 shipped to your door. Will ship in original box. See them in this ad https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-09-13-a.html

Old 10-23-2014, 02:17 PM
GibsonSG05
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking at getting some of the double fluted slip ons and some vance and hines power duals (x-pipe) and probably a tuner. I just really like the look of the tips on the double fluted CFRs. I think they would look real classy on my Road King.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
if it's a stock bike, knock yourself out, they work well here. anything other than that, don't waste your time or $ with CFR. they sound incredible and are beautiful pipes but you sacrifice performance with even mild builds.

as for your questions;
- only reasons they'll turn blue is if you don't install them properly and exhaust leaks are present or if the bike is not tuned properly. Running lean = blue pipes, running rich or hotter than normal = yellow-ish discoloration

- depends. have you done anything else to the motor? upgraded air cleaner? different head pipe?

- not normally but if you've changed multiple components, get it tuned or get you a tuner and do it yourself.
Hey ultra got a question for ya. I was wondering if there were any corrections made to your tune after installing the Cfr's? The reason I ask is becouse im wondering if any of the lost power could have been recovered or if it's just out the window with the Cfr's?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Bagger71
Tourer

I had mine on a 12 sg with 255 cams, stage 1 and s&s tuner duals, I was at 88hp and 113 ft lbs tq. Which seemed about the same for other mufflers I saw dynos for.

Quick Reply: CFR exhaust pipes - anything required ?