Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 electra glide classic oil change, help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowperformance, what everyone says is right on -- you need a service manual, and also get a parts manual. They are very well written and you won't be able to maintain your bike without them. I've got a 2000 and these manuals are priceless. Other than that, like the photo's above have shown, drain away. Harley Hog's Lair website is also very good to check out. He's in the UK, but HD's are HD's. Good riding.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea like everybody else has said...get the manuals, and the clymer manual.....the HD manual is very technical....and in some situations the clymer manual breaks it down better. I have both books for my 99 and i can tell you about every nuit and bolt and wire.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homyakchik
As a suggestion: get the HD Service Manual for that make and model year (local dealer or Zanotti's or J&P Cycles). Then go to Amazon and hunt up the Clymer manual for that make and model. I've found that the Clymer one is more user-friendly and the HD one has more technical stuff, and that working together they made my most recent oil change a lot smoother.

Dj
+1 on this, I realize your just changing the fluids but the manuals will come in handy later on. Between the two books you get better pictures from different angles and various parts diagrams. You'll get a good return on the $75 investment.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Daprez1963
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by soos
This might help
so I have a manual but it covers several different along with mine, so when I looked for help with oil changes I was left with not many questions answered.
I was not shown where the drain plugs for the primary were... they are not under the derby cover and I looked for an hours, looked at manual again and then searched you tube but none specific to my bike...
it was not til here that showed it up forward and one on the front side... thank you for the photos and pointing out the exact spots where I found mine and was able to drain my primary... apparently mine were low cause after I drained a quart at warm temp, I was able to put in 38 ounces to the proper level required which is the amount of fully drained after rebuild... so it was filled less than what was needed. The bike is now good... had changed tranny oil and engine oil last week along with plugs and cleaned air filter... good to go for another riding season.
Thanks again

Old 04-08-2017, 11:50 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Daprez1963
so I have a manual but it covers several different along with mine, so when I looked for help with oil changes I was left with not many questions answered.
I was not shown where the drain plugs for the primary were... they are not under the derby cover and I looked for an hours, looked at manual again and then searched you tube but none specific to my bike...
it was not til here that showed it up forward and one on the front side... thank you for the photos and pointing out the exact spots where I found mine and was able to drain my primary... apparently mine were low cause after I drained a quart at warm temp, I was able to put in 38 ounces to the proper level required which is the amount of fully drained after rebuild... so it was filled less than what was needed. The bike is now good... had changed tranny oil and engine oil last week along with plugs and cleaned air filter... good to go for another riding season.
Thanks again
I just went through this last week on my '03. I was used to the primary drain plug on my newer bikes. Had me scratching my head for a couple of minutes!!