Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California 2009 model riders need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default California 2009 model riders need help!

hello, I would like to know if you are changin your head pipes with catalyst for a non catalyst.

I would like to know if it worth the money to change head pipes or just only mufflers.

I realiced that aftermarket mufflers sound more quiet on a 2009 bike than a 2008

Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

What ever you do,keep the stock parts because of the SMOG ****'S attempt to smog motorcycles!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eventually you will have to put your bike back to stock for a smog check so only do it if you can afford to change it back or are willing to do it for yourself. The smog bill they are trying to pass is supposed to be in affect in 2012 and retro back affecting bikes year 2000 and newer.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 AM
1stultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left my headers alone and bought the power package from Fuelmoto. It has really helped my bike power wise and the sound's nice too. I like the piggy-back system because it gives me the ability to return it to stock in a couple hours should the need ever arise. They will figure out a way to test us and it will be sooner than later, they need the cash!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but..........there's a bill in the legislature right now that will require motorcycles to be smoged in 2011. It looks like the bill stands a good change of passing.

It sucks, cause the cat is a power blocker. We had Terrie's 09 Street Glide dynoed yesterday. Big Sucker A/C, Python slip ons, Master Tune tuner and it did O.K. on the torque 90.4 ft. lbs. at 4k rpm however, it fell off sharply and immediatly at 4k rpm. The tuner told me what I already knew.....get a performance exhaust and you'll see a big difference.

But Terrie doesn't ride like the guys, so that'll work for her. Gives her the power and torque to pass without question........but she'll not be doing any drag racing.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
1stultra
Cruiser

The following is a copy and paste from motorcycle.com, March 19, 2009.

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, District 23, D) is currently in the hands of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee. If adopted, the bill would remove the exemption for motorcycles from biennial smog testing. Model-year 2000 and newer motorcycles will be affected by Bill 435 and mandatory smog testing would begin Jan. 1, 2012.

Bill 435 sets the deadline for creating a testing procedure for July 1, 2011 and the AMA argues this target is too close to the proposed implementation date of Jan. 1, 2012.

Hang on to those stock parts.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Open Road
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but..........there's a bill in the legislature right now that will require motorcycles to be smoged in 2011. It looks like the bill stands a good change of passing.

It sucks, cause the cat is a power blocker. We had Terrie's 09 Street Glide dynoed yesterday. Big Sucker A/C, Python slip ons, Master Tune tuner and it did O.K. on the torque 90.4 ft. lbs. at 4k rpm however, it fell off sharply and immediatly at 4k rpm. The tuner told me what I already knew.....get a performance exhaust and you'll see a big difference.

But Terrie doesn't ride like the guys, so that'll work for her. Gives her the power and torque to pass without question........but she'll not be doing any drag racing.
That's good tq. I just checked my dyno chart and it starts to drop off at 4k also but not sharply. Mine's an 07 non cat. bike.
What's the hp?

Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nvsteve
That's good tq. I just checked my dyno chart and it starts to drop off at 4k also but not sharply. Mine's an 07 non cat. bike.
What's the hp?
79.42 HP, 99.48 TQ peaked at 4k rpm. I have a 103" in my bike that pumps 104 HP and 116.4 ft. lbs. of TQ so her bike still seems slow to me.

Back to topic.........I'd suggest keeping all your take off parts, even if you do replace something.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will keep all stock parts but I would like to know If it worth the money to change head pipes for a non catalyst ones. have any of you got numbers of a 2009 with cat and without? is there to much power gain?

Thank you

Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
crossbones54
3rd Gear

The cats are in the mufflers on my 08 crossbones, the O2 sensors are in the header pipes, if you change muffs be sure and keep oe's......

Quick Reply: California 2009 model riders need help!