Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scallops and Flake - New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

pix when together...

Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not have it repainted to your satisfaction. If you paid for the work, you should get it back right. Quality of the painting process is one thing, but burning through with a buffer is rediculous.

Sounds like you should cancel the check....so to speak.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 PM
06skullglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as a painter by trade, dont use a wax for at least a month. They say not to wax for 90 days as solvents are still coming out of the paint. 3m I know makes a final glaze that will work as well as wizzards. Wizzards is a beathable sealent meant for fresh paint. What wax will do is trap the solvents in the paint and if that happens you could find yourself re wet sanding or repainting the tins. The paint could blister or more common is solvent pop. Hope this helps.

As for burning through the paint TAKE IT BACK. It will be an easy fix for your painter to do. Did you discuss your problems with him? If not that is your own falt. We as painters want you to be happy with the end result as that is advertising for us. If you love the work that the shop did and someone sees your ride and asks were you had it done, chances are when they want somthing done they will bring it to the same shop.

Feel free to ask any painting questions.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM
ky_ace
Road Master

Well, if I had taken it to a professional painter to have work done, then I'd have some complaining that would be done. The guy that did it was a friend of mine that works in the paint shop at the Harley plant in KC. The only reason I took delivery of the tins is because the stuff that went wrong really wasn't a huge deal or all that noticeable and I want to get the bike back together and do some riding. After this season is over, I might ship him back the bag that was burned and possibly the tank and have him re-shoot the #1 and fix the burn mark. He did it for me at a cost of about $8/hr. of time that he spent fixing the bags and doing all the sanding and paint work.

Thanks for the heads up on the wax job. I'll definitely hold off on the parts a bit longer before I do any waxing.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ky_ace
Well, if I had taken it to a professional painter to have work done, then I'd have some complaining that would be done. The guy that did it was a friend of mine that works in the paint shop at the Harley plant in KC. The only reason I took delivery of the tins is because the stuff that went wrong really wasn't a huge deal or all that noticeable and I want to get the bike back together and do some riding. After this season is over, I might ship him back the bag that was burned and possibly the tank and have him re-shoot the #1 and fix the burn mark. He did it for me at a cost of about $8/hr. of time that he spent fixing the bags and doing all the sanding and paint work.

Thanks for the heads up on the wax job. I'll definitely hold off on the parts a bit longer before I do any waxing.

So the guy that burned through the paint and painted crooked lines is the same guy who paints our bikes at the factory!!??!!

I think it looks nice, but I too would be disappointed with the worksmanship that you describe.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM
ky_ace
Road Master

not our bikes... he paints sporty's, dyna's and Vrods. We're all good ohh... and the factory has 3-4 mils of powder clear on their parts. My parts had 3-4 mils of liquid clear. If he had just used a decal for a stencil on the 1 instead of trying to cut it out of a piece of paper. Overall i'm happy with it for the price paid. You always have to remember the "you get what you pay for" and I think I got a good paint job for the money.