Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The downside of Xied's or Vied's

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The downside of Xied's or Vied's

I'm sorry to start this thread because there's so much out there on the topic of Vied's and Xied's. I know lot's of people use them and more use tuners and I really don't want to hear how much people love their Powervision or TTS or even why they love their Xied's. I'm just trying to understand what could possibly be wrong with these things? The stock bikes run lean in closed loop (where I spend most of my time) at 14.6 AFR, right? So, what could be wrong with dropping it to 14.3 or 14.2 across the board in this range? Open loop will suck a richer mixture but cruise range just a hair richer than EPA compliance. If I'm running stock everything and maybe adding an A/C, why would one of these things be a bad thing? I appreciate all of the wisdom on this board and hope someone can give me a rational reason to avoid an FL-Vied 10 for my 2012 Limited. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The only drawback I see is that they are not adjustable, set it and forget it. If your plans are to make no upgrades beyond a stage 1 then this could be your ticket. I see no reason at all to avoid them and I do not see them as bad IMO, but its your bike man. I plan on runnin em when I get back from suckin dust and sand,lol.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Let me back up, I have heard of the newer ones having limited adjustabliity (a couple of settings) I purchased mine from fleabay (FL-XIED-14) and was told they are not adjustable from the seller so I will see when I get home. If I spouted off incorrect information in the earlier post, my bad, at least I admit when I'm probably wrong, lmao.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

There is nothing wrong with them. See the chart below.

The only thing that could be viewed as "wrong" with purchasing one, is that if you do want a full tuner later, you will lose about $40 on selling your used XiED or ViED.

Click HERE for more details on the Adjustable FL-ViED-10.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-15-2013, 02:31 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

This is what I have waiting on me when I get back, they are NOT adjustable. NR-FL-XIED-10, not 14. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAMZ-o2-Enri...1b4bf5&vxp=mtr

Sorry about the confusion.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hey

I was sold on getting them...And the down side is that they are still in the bag on the work bench...haven't gotten around to put them on. I need to do that but Kinda wanted to get the feel of new bike without... so I could see if I noticed any difference with...
Hap

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

coming up on 30k on my bike with them...they perform as advertised. hard to beat for the price you pay.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
...I'm just trying to understand what could possibly be wrong with these things? The stock bikes run lean in closed loop (where I spend most of my time) at 14.6 AFR, right?
No disrespect intended but you, like so many others, have fallen into the "14.6 is lean" marketing scam. 14.6 is leaner then 14.5 but richer then 14.7 - pure and simple. If enough people said 14.4 or 14.2 or even 14.0 was lean, people would start believing it and would want something else.

It's like saying 32 degrees is warm. Well, it's warmer then 31 but colder then 33.

Most likely, your motor could run all day at 14.6 and maybe even higher without issues and be very happy. I say maybe because each motor, setup, and riding habits are different and need to be taken into consideration. One size doesn't fit all and these aftermarket devices that "trick" the system are simply trying to do that.

The heart of ANY tune is getting the VE's set accurately. And devices that do nothing but add fuel have absolutely not affect on the VE's. So the question then would be why in the world should fuel be added to any cell if we don't even know if it needs more fuel?

Originally Posted by Hausguy
...So, what could be wrong with dropping it to 14.3 or 14.2 across the board in this range? Open loop will suck a richer mixture but cruise range just a hair richer than EPA compliance. If I'm running stock everything and maybe adding an A/C, why would one of these things be a bad thing? I appreciate all of the wisdom on this board and hope someone can give me a rational reason to avoid an FL-Vied 10 for my 2012 Limited. Thanks.
So, just to be clear, other then some slick marketing material or a few anecdotal stories, why do you think your bike needs to be at a different AFR (Lambda) value? Why do you think it needs more fuel and not less in some cells and not others?

BTW, if your bike is the 2012 suggested, the bike uses the Lambda values and not AFR.

Hey, it's you bike...do as you see fit. I'm just suggesting you make an effort to understand what you're trying to accomplish and the best route to take to get there.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing wrong with them. Get them and enjoy them. They will make your bike run richer "across the board" and your bike needs to run richer across the board no matter what anyone says you don't know. I bet if you wanted to hear all that VE crap you would just buy a tuner wouldn't you.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
There is nothing wrong with them. Get them and enjoy them. They will make your bike run richer "across the board" and your bike needs to run richer across the board no matter what anyone says you don't know. I bet if you wanted to hear all that VE crap you would just buy a tuner wouldn't you.
Ironic that your signature line says "...but fools despise wisdom and instruction" when you call information that you don't know "crap" and ridicule those that offer "wisdom and instruction."

Quick Reply: The downside of Xied's or Vied's