Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding part throttle problem ?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:15 AM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need help finding part throttle problem ?????

I don't have a lot of time to figure out this issue, maybe get parts needed and get fixed since i'm leaving next week on a trip down to San Antonio, my bike has developed a serious part throttle "miss" "bog', seems the more you open the throttle at lower RPMs the more it does it, after it catches up you can open her up and it accelerates like it should, It's a 2001, with fuel injection, has a KN Power Commander on it that hasn't been dynoed, but is set up pretty close to the way the bike is set up, don't think the "setting" on it is the problem since it has acted up in the last few days, but who knows. The bike has Samson rolled thunder slipons, Stage 1 air cleaner, and I installed Andrews 26 gear drive cams over the winter, I redid the Power Commander download to the what I could find when I first road it, it wasn't perfect, but it ran fair, seem to load up a little at mid throttle, but that situation has gotten worse the last two days. It basically acts like it's running out of gas, matter of fact, don't know if it could be an issue, but I ran it allmost completely out of gas the other day, since i ran into town and didn't bring my keys to the gas cap, it was running out right at the last coming home. Filled it back up and it ran acceptable for a little over half the tank, now I have this? Anybody have any ideas on a few things to check? Don't know that I can get it in to the dealer before I have to leave to go on my trip?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Running out of gas shouldn't have any effect on how the bike runs at all. I've run out a couple of times on my bike, all I did was fill it up, and off I went with no ill effects.

Only thing that could happen was some sediment was in your tank and when you ran out it got sucked into the fuel injectors causing some blockage.

I would think it's your map. Now that the temps are coming up it could be effecting the mix. Canned maps are never a sure bet even if the components are an exact match. I think your best bet would be to get on a dyno and get it checked out.

Steve

Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

The problem could be the fuel tank hose that goes from the fuel supply check valve to the fuel pressure regulator.
Over time the fuel tank can wear a hole in the fuel line.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
Running out of gas shouldn't have any effect on how the bike runs at all. I've run out a couple of times on my bike, all I did was fill it up, and off I went with no ill effects.

Only thing that could happen was some sediment was in your tank and when you ran out it got sucked into the fuel injectors causing some blockage.

I would think it's your map. Now that the temps are coming up it could be effecting the mix. Canned maps are never a sure bet even if the components are an exact match. I think your best bet would be to get on a dyno and get it checked out.

Steve
Running out gas is a problem with EFI. With an electric fuel pump, the gas cools the pump while its operating. Running with low fuel will cause it to over heat, weakening it and shortening it's service life. Sooner or later it will take a S***!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Running with low fuel will cause it to over heat, weakening it and shortening it's service life. Sooner or later it will take a S***!
I cant see this being a problem.
I have 40000 miles on my bike.I mostly commute which means I routinely fill up with .5-.7 gal. of fuel left.The bike is 3 yrs old.Still have the original pump.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just My 2 cents take it for what it for what it's worth.