Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Hitch vs. Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i have one of the saddle bag insulated coolers, works pretty good, although it holds only a six pack or a little more along with ice packs. i think it was forty bux. not too bad.
navy pt, is that front fender trim off of a deluxe? i been thinking about it for my black sg.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM
daposaspo
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering how many went ahead and added a hitch anyway? I think I might do it.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
goofey
Cruiser

I installed hitches on my 06 ultra and my 09 ultra . Have not had any problems but sounds like the extended warrenty on the 09 may be no good if i do have an issue.I think touring with the trailer is worth the gamble.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

What warranty? Did you get an extended warranty on your 2008 bike?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had hitches on all 3 of my Ultra's and only had warranty work done on one of them and the hitch was never a problem... If you look at the trailering posts on the forum I think the majority have positive dealings with dealers and the hitch.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swore I checked the extended warranty box!
It was right next to the trailer package option box I checked!

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Kevinm40
Advanced

It’s funny how adding a side car, which is a cantilever load on the power train, won’t void your warrantee but adding a trailer which is a much better linear load will. Will adding 200# of trailer weight do damage to a power train but adding a 200# passenger wont? Seems BS but since they write the warrantee they make the rules. Seems to me if you really want both, a trailer and a warrantee, then you [and I include myself in this category] should go buy a Gold Wing or BMW.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
M. Hix
Novice

I have a trailer hitch on my 08 Ultra and yes, H-D will void your warranty. Do not believe anything the sales people at the dealerships say. Ask for everything in writing. If they won't put it in writing then they won't back it up period. I will no longer stop at any H-D dealerships, however I will take my business to the independent shops.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:26 AM
cabaum
Stage I

NOTE: Installing A Trailer Hitch And Your Factory Warranty

There has been and continues to be “harassment” from dealers telling you, the customer and owner, that installing a trailer hitch will “void” your warranty. THIS IS NOT TRUE! In 1975 the federal government passed a set of laws called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (please look it up on the internet, and then tell your dealer to do the same). In short, it states that your warranty cannot be voided or canceled for using a non O.E.M. part or accessory (like a trailer hitch). IF the manufacturer of the vehicle can prove that the use of this non O.E.M. part or accessory caused the failure of a part or parts of the vehicle then that part or parts would not be covered under your warranty but your warranty CANNOT be VOIDED or CANCELLED.

https://rivcoproducts.com/faq

Old 10-20-2016, 09:45 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

I think that the above post from rivco is somewhat disingenuous in itself. hd has been 'voiding' warranties for a long time because of trailer hitches. i'm quite sure that if they were in violation of federal law, that it would have come up by now. if you have a rivco hitch, and you blow your engine, is rivco going to help with your legal fees if you try to take hd to court?

see item 4 in the attached capture.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch vs. Warranty-capture.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch vs. Warranty