Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Hitch vs. Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:29 PM
dmaxey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch vs. Warranty

Thinking about a hitch, but don't want to jack with the warranty. I hear some get the dealer to install the hitch to keep from voiding the warranty, but it’s pretty clear in the owner’s manual that adding a hitch will void the power train warranty.

Main purpose for the hitch would be to carry a cooler, then maybe a trailer later down the road.

Looking at the following:
Rivco Quick Detach Cooler Rack - This shoudn't void any warranty?

Trailer Hitch: MCHITCH

Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Justmac
Advanced

What I was told was that if a hitch is on it when it comes in for any work the dealer files the serial number with the moco and the power train warranty is void. So I installed mine and found a dealer that wants my business and he doesn't care that it's on and he told me if I have a power train problem pull the hitch off before I bring it in.
My concern was breaking down on the road and having some shop report it. But they make a flag holder that fits the hitch so as long as no trailers hooked up when it's brought in I think they would have a hard time voiding the warranty, but they have more money to waste in a court battle than I do.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 PM
dmaxey
Novice

No to sure I'd want to take the chance of having the dealer turn in the S/N. Will probably just go with the cooler rack to be safe. Besides, it looks pretty cool and doesn't cost too much.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have several friends who have opted for the trailer hitch, for the most part the local dealer will turn a blind eye but when serious power train issues crop up one was left out in the cold because of the hitch.

The following users liked this post:
whocares (10-20-2016)
Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to put a hitch on my '09 Ultra but like you didn't want a warranty issue. So to find out for sure, I called Harley customer service and was told 100%, without a doubt that it will automatically void the warranty! I asked 3 times, are you positive? and without hesitation was told the warranty will be voided for sure. That was enough for me to not go the hitch route until my warranty is done. I know the hitch could be removed before taking it to the local dealer but if it happens on the road that's a different situation. Good luck, Larry

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (10-21-2016)
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Here's the clause in the "Extended Warranty." I can't find a specific exclusion in the Harley two year warranty, but there is a safety warning against pulling a trailer in the owner's manual.

I also have a flag mount for mine, and a quick plug in trailer harness, so if I break down on the road I can take the harness off and "claim" that it's a flag mount.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch vs. Warranty-warranty-exclusions.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009, 04:51 PM
dmaxey
Novice

Confirm what bowa18 found out with HD customer service, any addition of a hitch to the bikes will void the manufacture warranty. Per CS, if HD doesn’t sell it, then they haven’t tested it. And if found to be a cause of a problem, will void your warranty.

The thing that really sucks about calling them is that they put notes on your record about what you’re calling them about. Now I have notes on my bike that indicate that I’ve inquired about adding a hitch to my bike.

What are the options out there for transporting cold drinks on a long trip? What have the touring veterans out done?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchase your cold beverages when you get there until the warranty has expired.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

hey make a cooler/liner for the hard saddlebags....You can keep your beverages cold that way...

Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
dmaxey
Novice

Need better options than that, going from TX to YellowStone at the end of July.....

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch vs. Warranty