Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 7 ga. Gas tank option for Baggers

Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default New 7 ga. Gas tank option for Baggers

As you may know that I deal in suspension. I despised the handling of my bagger so I gave away/scraped/e-Bay-d everything on the bike except the title & frame. A year or so back I needed a new style gas tank. Nothing on the market suited me. They are all the same. The bike below IS NOT MY BIKE!

I have a 124 CI S&S Bagger that I am building. It has my steering stem behind the forks triple trees with my inverted forks. I use the stock steering neck rake of 26 degrees and with the steering stem designed offset, I get 4.2” of trail w/a 130X16”. Due to the space up forward of the original tank the new tank must be stretched. To make it worth while the tank comes in stock length that uses your existing mounts.

This site crashed and all archived info was lost as I would have liked to reference up the old post for the fun of it as I asked you all for a little styling input. I did the Photoshop thing as I needed a stretched tank w/no phony weld on panels. A few years ago I contacted a friend who is known to have some experience in this field. Don said that no one wanted to customize or even needed a new tank on them slow sofa-mobiles. I said: “Not everyone!” Also not all have problems handling or going fast.

I sent a shop frame out to Donny a year or so back and here is what we have come up with;
*No gauges or removable top panel for the internal fuel pump because the new Thunderheart internal fuel pump access is from the bottom (hidden).
*The fuel pump is mounted eternally and has a LED indicator Low Fuel warning light that you can mount where you want. Mine is going right next to my shift light (all In one)
*It is wide so the raised dash is there to break up the lines and is not needed & can be deleted.
*Pop-Up Flush gas cap(s)
*19” Wide, 25 1/2'’ long & will not fit the 2009’s yet. Don is waiting until what the 2010’s bring before investing in tooling.
*I usually do not do looks but I do need the extended fuel for the 124 ci.

Last edited by FastHarley; 06-15-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice looking and functional.

How much $$$?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
skydoc
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RWD has 6 & 6.5 gallon tanks HERE

Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I really like that stretch look. I'd be interested in know how much $$ they are going to cost.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
americanthunder
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sent my RWD tank to the painter. I got the 6.5 gal version

Old 06-15-2009, 01:27 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks pretty darn good

Old 06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a new tank design from Fat Katz.

http://fatkatz.com/new_products.php

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look of it and depending on what it costs I'd entertain the idea of getting one. I don't think the one gallon difference is going to mean much unless you ride alone most of the time though, because riding with other people who have the five gallon tanks or smaller sporty tanks, they're going to have to stop and you'll probably never run a stock six gallon tank out before somebody else runs their 5 out anywy.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thread title mentions a 7 gal. tank but there is no mention of a 7 gal. tank in the thread. I'm interested in a 7 gal. tank. Why stretch it out so there is room for an extra gallon without actually being able to pump that extra gallon? I do often ride alone and my mileage is definitely not what it was when new. Not that I am complaining about that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 7 ga. Gas tank option for Baggers