Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Gas Mileage and miles to empty when gas light comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM
GodFather
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Road King Gas Mileage and miles to empty when gas light comes on?

Well, my gas light came on riding to work this morning and about 10 miles later the bike cut off. I coasted about 200 yards and then it popped back to life and rode a bit further until it cut off again. Then "luckily" I coasted to the next exit and was able to make it to the gas station.

It took 4.9 gals to fill it up and I went 170 miles on that tank. However half of it was when the motor was stock, the other half is with the stage 1, PCV, and rineharts.

Whats the size of the tank and whats the reserve? I have a 07 Road King Classic. I have smelled gas pretty frequently since installing the PCV which leads me to believe the unit is dumping way more gas then it should and making it run rich. I am in talks with FuelMoto about this (and Jamie has been wonderful in helping me figure it all out).

But I still want to know what avg I should be getting so I can check with this next tank of fuel. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like you're running way to rich if you're only getting 170 miles per tank...I have PCIII and V&H and depending how much I twist the trottle, I start looking for a place to re-fuel at at 170 miles. Normally when my low fuel light comes on I have approx. 1 gallon of fuel left. If your bike is EFI there is no reserve.

Last edited by Road Ranger; 06-18-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a PCV and stage 1 A/C from fuel moto. I'm averaging just about 40 mpg out touring. I've got a six gallon tank. I believe yours is 5.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't your bike fuel injected? FI's don't have a "reserve". That's a carb/petcock thang. FI's run till they're dry, then they quit.

Both the fuel gauge and low fuel light are "approximate" at best, but you can adjust their readings to suit you by bending the float rod inside the tank. Your service manual tells you how to access it.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 AM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Isn't your bike fuel injected? FI's don't have a "reserve". That's a carb/petcock thang. FI's run till they're dry, then they quit.

Both the fuel gauge and low fuel light are "approximate" at best, but you can adjust their readings to suit you by bending the float rod inside the tank. Your service manual tells you how to access it.
your right it does not have reserve..just think he used the word by mistake...he just meant how much gas is left when the light comes on...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 AM
GodFather
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, bike is fuel injected.

Yes, I meant 'approx' how many miles till empty once the gas light comes on.

thx.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My 08 odometer automatically switches to and shows how many miles I have left on the Reserve when the idiot light comes on.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Never trust those guages. Know what your aveage mileage is, and watch the miles traveled. Much more reliable then the guages.

(love my carb and my reserve!)

Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Afishinado
My 08 odometer automatically switches to and shows how many miles I have left on the Reserve when the idiot light comes on.
My '08, same way, but usually the "miles remaining" hits "lo" (below 10) when I have about a gallon left. I consistently put five gallons into my six gallon tank when my electronic "crutch" says I am empty. I usually start looking for gas at about 180 but don't sweat it even when at 200. I ran it dry just to see once and got 232 miles before I had to pull over and empty a jug into her.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
My '08, same way, but usually the "miles remaining" hits "lo" (below 10) when I have about a gallon left. I consistently put five gallons into my six gallon tank when my electronic "crutch" says I am empty. I usually start looking for gas at about 180 but don't sweat it even when at 200. I ran it dry just to see once and got 232 miles before I had to pull over and empty a jug into her.
Almost exactly like my 08.

Quick Reply: Road King Gas Mileage and miles to empty when gas light comes on?