Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

round nostolgic air cleaner cover question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM
livelikeyourdying
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default round nostolgic air cleaner cover question

Can anyone clear up some conflicting information I am getting? I would like to change out the stock air cleaner cover on my 09 Road King to the round nostolgic cover. I am told to do this I need to purchase the Stage 1 kit for the round cover to fit. Also, the Harley parts catalog says that a re-map is required but the parts guy at my local Harley Dealership says a re-map is not necessary. Who's right? and do I need to purchase the stage 1 kit in the first place? I am not looking for performance just looks.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You need the Stage 1 kit cuz the round cover won't fit on the football air cleaner. Re-map is debatable, especially on this forum.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the ANBS and round cover. Fitted fine.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
You need the Stage 1 kit cuz the round cover won't fit on the football air cleaner. Re-map is debatable, especially on this forum.
I believe this dude is right.

It's like $140 isn't it for the Screamin Eagle AC ? Then you need your $40 cover.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Thinking about this myself. I had the round air cleaner installed on my 08 Street Bob. I swithched out the SE air filter for a K&N filter. When I traded it in for the Street Glide I had them change out the filters to get my K&N filter back. I also had just the A/C plate cover from AZECE.com that I got back.

My plan was to just buy the Back Plate kit HD part #29319-08
and the o-rings, breather tubes and breather screw kit and put the K&N filter and cover plate on the Street Glide.

Anybody know if this would work?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM
jokerx
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To put the round AC cover on, you need to install the SE backplate or the Ness Big Sucker backplate. Anytime you change the intake, you need to remap the ECM. Think of it as rejetting your carb and adjusting the air fuel mixture to accommodate the freer flow of the new backplate.

If you change the exhaust, you do not necessarily need to remap the ECM.

Remapping can be done with Mastertune TTS or SERT or you can use a module that is left on the bike like the Power Commander.

Last edited by jokerx; 07-08-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

SE backplate is required, but, I would not re-map. Stock ECM should adjust provided that is all you do to the intake. However, I'm sure others will strongly disagree with me.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say SE backplate and filter - no re-map unless you have higher flowing mufflers too.
Since the stock cans are so restrictive the air in won't flow to capacity and the fuel/air ratio won't be "too" adversly effected.

Maybe?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:30 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

there is one more item you're going to need when installing the round nostalgic air cleaner cover. it's a thick gasket that sticks on the inside of your chrome air cleaner cover. it's the part that prevents the air cleaner from spinning around on the center screw, it's about five bux from harley. it's just under 3/16" thick, and has adhesive on one side. there are also two types of the round nostalgic air cleaner. one has a cut out across the top to clear the fuel tank. the other one does not have the inch wide cutout. be sure before you install it that your motor isn't gonna rock enough to dig into the paint of your tank with the air cleaner cover.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emwolb
there is one more item you're going to need when installing the round nostalgic air cleaner cover. it's a thick gasket that sticks on the inside of your chrome air cleaner cover. it's the part that prevents the air cleaner from spinning around on the center screw, it's about five bux from harley. it's just under 3/16" thick, and has adhesive on one side. there are also two types of the round nostalgic air cleaner. one has a cut out across the top to clear the fuel tank. the other one does not have the inch wide cutout. be sure before you install it that your motor isn't gonna rock enough to dig into the paint of your tank with the air cleaner cover.
yep, i had to buy the extra gasket when i used the round cover. it bottoms out before the filter has a chance to seal against it. the gasket works like a dream.

Quick Reply: round nostolgic air cleaner cover question