Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   headlight bulb alternatives??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/366405-headlight-bulb-alternatives.html)

emwolb 07-13-2009 07:00 AM

headlight bulb alternatives???

i used the hi performance bulb that harley sells in my sg, and it worked great, for about four months. is there another alternative, like osram, sylvania, etc? just wondering cause i don't want to replace the burned out one with the stock one i removed. i like the osram bulbs, as they seem to be a lot of bang for the buck. the stock headlight bulbs are, well, "okay" but i'd like to find something i can get at autozone or somewhere that i'm not paying so much as i'd be paying for a bulb at harley. ideas anyone?

Sandcrab 07-13-2009 07:16 AM

Exactly

The bulb has a number on it besides the HD number and you can buy them over the counter, autozone, Kmart,Walmart True Value etc.

wolfshead1 07-13-2009 07:38 AM

Get the Osram off road,think it is 90 or 100 watt.Bout $12 if you find them.Twice the light.

mhud 07-13-2009 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I replaced my stock bulbs with Osram 70/65 H4 bulbs, much better lighting. You can order them from Candlepower Inc. online. Mine were $22 each.

cujo101 07-13-2009 08:37 AM

I run sylvania silver star ultra. Big improvement over the stock headlight also use silverstars in the spots. Be careful going from the factory 65 watts to the 90 watters have heard of people damaging their reflectors from the added heat they produce. AND more watts equals more amps, and blowing a fuse in the middle of the night might just suck a little.

vtwin1340 07-13-2009 10:29 PM

Is that a typical lifespan for the H-D hi performance bulb?

truckerdave 07-14-2009 07:01 AM

I ride a lot and tried some Sylvania Silverstars. Key word here "some". Those things blew out regularly. I got disgusted and never got another one, car or bike. If you go much more wattage over stock the stock plastic headlight socket plug will melt. I'm running Osram 85/70(i think) with ceramic headlight sockets i got off ebay and wired into the stock harness. It works well in a Road Glide with E-code lens assembly.

IAMSWUTIAMS 07-14-2009 07:39 AM

I've been running PIAA's for 3 years now, no problems, nice light.

Retrop 07-14-2009 08:34 AM

If your late model Road Glide lighting leaves something to be desired, try this bulb from germanautoparts.com which is in Halfmoon, NY. Item number H4 80/100.
Sylvania/Osrum Bulbs are $11.58 each x2, plus $4.80 shipping for the box using U.S. Postal Service.
This bulb will not burn anything up or melt plastic lens, although it will give you a huge improvement over the stock GE halogen bulb which is 65/55. It has a much wider beam instead of the hot spot the factory GE bulbs use. Bye the way, many Road Glides do not have their lights aimed properly from the factory. Use a 3/16" (or a 4.5mm) deep socket on a flexible extension to properly aim.

MdTIGwelder 07-14-2009 09:53 AM

Speaking of Road Glides, is the 06 light assembly the same as the 07, 08 and 09's? I am thinking of replacements also, just want to be sure the one's talked about in this thread will fit a 06.
Thanks all! Vaughn