Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Used Both Autocom and HD Factory Intercom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Hawnted
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Used Both Autocom and HD Factory Intercom?

I am looking for a HD Intercom manual or anyone who has used both Autocom and the Factory Intercom in the Ultra Classic.

I am interested in what functionality the Autocom offers over the factory HD unit. I am about to buy an Ultra Classic, and own a Autocom Super Pro Avi that is in my current bike. I am leaving the Super Pro Avi in the old bike when I sell it.

Here is how I have it configured in my current setup.
  • Sirius Satellite Radio to Autocom so it plays through my helmet headset
  • GPS Directions to my Headset
  • Phone Interfaced to GPS with capability to talk through my headset
  • iPod that can be played through my helmet headset
Is the factory HD unit capable of this?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
krussell
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked this question here and on the bmwst.com forum a couple of months ago. Didn't get much info, most people spoke highly of both. You might try search in both places.

I ended up getting a Classic, and mounting my Super Pro AVI in the tour pack. Works great.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Hawnted
Cruiser

I searched and came up empty before posting. Mind linking me your post?

EDIT: found it by searching under your name. Hopefully some people chime in with more to add.

Last edited by Hawnted; 07-20-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM
catracho
Road Captain

I recommend you Scala Rider Q2

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Hawnted
Cruiser

Originally Posted by catracho
I recommend you Scala Rider Q2
I have used it, but the quality cannot come close to comparing to the Autocom.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Hawnted
Cruiser

Does anyone know where to find a PDF manual so I can check out what the factory unit is capable of?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to answer this as best I can, but I'm not 100% positive of my accuracy.

Anything that plays through the head unit will play in the headset, but fidelity stinks.
You can add an XM unit to the factory radio at considerable cost.
The factory head unit has one external auxiliary input. You could plug an MP3 player into that, or a Sirius receiver and listen to them when the input on the head unit is set to "aux". If you plug your GPS into it you will hear only the GPS. You can't piggyback it over a music source. Cell phone... you are out of luck. And no bluetooth at all.
I have a basic understanding of the capabilities of the Autocom and Starcom units as I am researching them for my bike. The HD Factory set-up doesn't have anywhere near the capabilities.
Buy a Classic and put the extra money towards the Autocom.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Hawnted
Cruiser

I already own the Autocom. I think what I am going to do is get the Ultra and interface it with the stereo using an Autocom Part.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 PM
sonic_cruzer
Novice

When I got my 08 Road Glide it had the HK but without intercom or CB so I transfered my Autocom ProAvi from my other bike into my RG. Took the output of the HK and ran it into a 4PDT mini switch (on-on configuration installed in fairing with rubber boot) ran one side back to the fairing speakers and the other side to the Autocom through a impeadance matching cable I got from autocom. Powered the Autocom through the ACC switch (via aux fuse box I installed). When I don't need to use bike 2 bike, cell phone, GPS, or intercom via the Autocom I leave the ACC off & set 4PDT switch to output the HK to the fairing speakers. When I need to use any of the above I turn on the ACC and change 4PDT switch to feed the HK to the Autocom. I also have either MP3 or XM going to AUX-IN of the HK. Cost - $80 for cable, $5 for the 4PDT switch with waterproof boot and maybe $10 for wire and terminal lugs that fit the speakers & OEM speaker connectors (didn't want to butcher up the wiring harness). The aux fuse box was not required but gives me room for fused power expansion so I don't count that cost.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
krussell
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonic_cruzer
When I got my 08 Road Glide it had the HK but without intercom or CB so I transfered my Autocom ProAvi from my other bike into my RG. Took the output of the HK and ran it into a 4PDT mini switch (on-on configuration installed in fairing with rubber boot) ran one side back to the fairing speakers and the other side to the Autocom through a impeadance matching cable I got from autocom.
Autocom makes a version of the impedance matching cable with a switch, not sure it's a huge deal though. This is the route I am going to take, haven't got around to getting the cable for connecting the speaker to the autocom yet.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Used Both Autocom and HD Factory Intercom?