Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you wire in your Zumo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cropsure
I just bought and installed the 660. I wired directly to the battery. I ran the wires underneath the tank console.
I did the same with mine.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:40 AM
harley1958
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the battery --- take your gas tank loose and have someone run the wire as you pick up the tank easy to do.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some information I found on another website.

Here is some reliable Garmin/Harley FLHT Zumo 550 GPS installation information based on installing numerous Zumo's on FLHT's for friends. I am an electronics engineer with extensive military electronics experience.

This post covers:

A. Handlebar & Other Mounting Options

B. GPS 12VDC Hardwire Installation.

C. Installing Optional GXM-30 XM Receiver/Antenna.

D. Connecting Zumo Audio Voice Navigation To The Harley Radio System.

E. Adding An Optional Auxiliary Input Jack To The Back Of The Harley Radio.

F. Connecting Multiple GPS/Audio Sources To The Harley Radio System.

G. Installing The Harley Davidson Dealer GPS POI Database.

THERE ARE VARIOUS WAYS AND OPTIONS REGARDING HOW TO INSTALL THE ZUMO COMPONENTS ON YOUR BIKE. IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DO A TEMPORARY/MOCK-UP INSTALLATION PRIOR TO MAKING FINAL DECISIONS ON HOW YOU WILL INSTALL YOUR ZUMO.

A. HANDLEBAR MOUNTING OPTIONS

1. It is very easy to try both handlebar sides using the U-bolt handlebar clamp that came with your Zumo to see which side you prefer. You can do this using the Zumo internal battery without a hardwire hook up.

Mounting the GPS on the right side handlebar gets it closer to your face if you have the microphone bracket on the left side, does not hide the gas gauge and allows a nicer/shorter route for the Zumo audio cable to the Harley radio Aux input jack. It also allows you to work the GPS when stopped and holding the clutch in.

Using my left hand to operate the GPS while under way on either the right or left side is not a problem even though I am right handed.

I prefer using the U-bolt handlebar clamp that came with the Zumo and a RAM-B-201U-C 5 1/2" mounting arm (not included in the Zumo package) because it places the Zumo in my vision path better.

RAM has a full page of hardware mounting options for the ZUMO including some chrome mounting pieces to replace the Garmin supplied ones here: http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx

Cycoactive also has a vast array of Zumo mounting hardware possibilities available here: Cycoactive Ram Mounts

2. TourATech offers an elaborate cradle mount with a key lock that replaces the stock Garmin cradle and attaches to a RAM arm mount. You can view it here: TourATech Mount

3. Highly recommend adding a RAM locking ****, part number RAM KNOB3L to whatever RAM arm mount you will be using: http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_24_42&pr oducts_id=64

NOTES:

a. The combination of the Zumo mounting bracket with security screw or TourATech keylock mount and RAM locking **** will go a long way in preventing theft of your GPS unit. Do yourself a favor and get the locking **** or the Allen/Torx arm mount security bolts available here (scroll all the way down the page): Security Bolts

b. I find that using a removable (cigarette lighter plug) or quick disconnect 12VDC power connection is necessary. Otherwise you will have to remove the GPS from the bracket to disconnect the 12VDC power wire when you want to remove the GPS motorcycle bracket from the bike and you will have to deal with the security screw if you have it engaged. Plus if you have the power wire connector screws in place it is a real pain and you will have a dangling power wire to deal with.

c. Being able to remove the GPS and bracket without having to remove the GPS from the bracket is the way to go. It also looks better not having the bracket on the bike without the GPS in it.

d. Here are some other possible mounting options:

Regarding the clutch/brake mount supplied by Garmin with the Zumo: I think most folks find that using this bracket places the Zumo too far out of your vision range compared to the handlebar clamp on a Harley.

Also see post#57 in this thread, this looks like a good option although only one forum user has reported doing it thus far. Center mounting the Zumo seems ideal.

Kuryakyn Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount for FLHT & FLTR https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3707114

Kuryakyn Universal Accessory & drink Holder Mount

Kuryakyn eCaddy Deluxe

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id197.html

B. 12VDC HARDWIRE POWER HOOK-UP

NOTES:

a. I do not recommend a direct battery connection without a switch somewhere in the GPS 12VDC hardwire line.

b. The FLHT cigarette lighter circuit is switched.

c. Make sure you use a 2 amp in-line fuse for whatever method you use to hook-up the hardwire.

d. The two small screws in the baggie that came in your Zumo box are for securing the hardwire power connector to the motorcycle mounting bracket.

1. REMOVABLE HARDWIRE HOOK-UP:

This is my preferred method. Using this method is the cleanest I have seen and does not leave any dangling wires to deal with or handlebar power connectors or their brackets when you remove the Zumo and it's bracket from your bike.

The bike's cigarette lighter socket under the left side of the fairing works fine as a source for 12VDC and it is switched by the ignition switch.

A waterproof plug connected to the Zumo hardwire is recommended. The West Marine cigarette lighter plug Model 6867899 from here is a good choice to make this connection: 12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs This is a premium waterproof plug with good side connection wire terminals in it that you don't have to solder.

The West Marine lighter plug is a tight fit and does not vibrate loose.

If you use the West Marine plug or something similar with the fuse in it you do not need to use the inline fuse supplied by Garmin and attached to their hardwire pigtail, just cut the inline fuse holder off in this case.

Cut the hardwire to the length you need after making a trial fit first.

Strip about 1\4" of insulation off the red and black wires.

Take the plug apart by removing the one screw on the outside. Remove the rubber retainer ring in the wide groove towards the front and the knurled nut on the power end. Once inside loosen the two screws on the end where the wire comes in. Slide the Garmin hardwire wire thru the rubber boot and under the little bracket inside the plug. Loosen the two terminal screws and slide your stripped wire ends into the holes below the screws (do not put the wires under the screw heads). Connect and tighten the red hardwire to the red terminal and the black wire to the other terminal. Reassemble the plug in the reverse order.

If you use this setup you are good to go for using your Zumo on another bike (rental etc.) and it does not leave a dangling wire if you remove the Zumo motorcycle mount from your bike.

If you mount the Zumo on the right side handlebar and have a three pocket windshield pouch the wire tucks in and hides very nicely behind it. Mounted on the left handlebar it is an obvious straight shot to the lighter plug.

Using this setup allows you to very easily remove the Zumo and cradle together or just the cradle from the bike.

If you wire the the cradle in permanently it is a pain to remove it if you have secured the hardwire mounting screws at the cradle connector unless you add the quick disconnect discussed in item B. 3. below.

NOTES:

a. Be sure to replace the 10A fuse that is in the West Marine plug with a 2A fuse.

2. PERMANENT HARDWIRE HOOK-UP:

a. It will be necessary to remove the fairing for this procedure.

The fairing is very easy to remove, just 7 easy access screws. You can place a card table with a towel on it next to the left side front fender, put socks over the spot lights to protect the fairing and a towel on the front fender to protect it. Once the fairing is free just lay it on the card table, no need to disconnect anything under the fairing.

b. Before you get started with this step make sure the Harley red wire is connected to the center of the cigarette lighter plug and the Harley black wire is connected to the cigarette lighter ground.

Route the Zumo hard wire thru the fairing handlebar opening to the back of the cigarette lighter under the fairing for the power. Be sure to connect the red wire to the center of the plug (positive) "+" and black wire to the ground (negative) "-".

c. Some FLHT models have a couple of spade connectors coming off the spot light/headlight wiring harness by the left side handlebar opening under the fairing. You can connect the hardwire here although I would not do so if you are using a headlight modulator as the modulator may induce voltage fluctuations on this line. Use a voltmeter to determine where the positive and negative connections are, connect red (plus) hot wire to "+" and black (negative) ground wire to "-".

3. HARDWIRE QUICK DISCONNECT HOOK-UP:

a. We used the type of connectors found on motorcycle battery chargers and trailer light hook-ups. We used a 2 pin, 2 plug SAE extension connector, part number PAC-022-36 from here: SAE/SAE CABLE or you can get Radio Shack part number: 270-026. Cut 6" off one end of this cable and attach the other part to the back of the cigarette lighter plug. Connect the other 6" piece to the Garmin hard wire after adjusting it to the correct length. If you use small round crimp splice connectors and wire shrink wrap (available from Radio Shack) you end up with a nice result.

NOTES:

a. If you use SAE plugs be sure to wire the negative wire to the exposed pin so you don't short it out by touching something on the bike.

b. The Powerlet company has some interesting high dollar power connecting items and a quick disconnect power cord designed just for the Zumo, it is part number PPC 10-018-12. They have a nice selection of generic power connecting items as well. I have not used any Powerlet items but I know that they have a good reputation. You can see their items here: Powerlet Products

4. HARDWIRE PERMANENT HOOK-UP TO FLHT ACCESSORY SWITCH: (located on the right side of the ignition switch). This switch controls a 12VDC power port Deutsch plug located under the seat by the battery.

I don't see any advantage to using the Accessory switch, you get the same results by connecting to the back of the cigarette lighter. When you place the ignition switch in the On or Accessory position it activates the cigarette lighter plug.

Getting the Zumo hardwire to the auxillary power port requires running the hardwire thru the top gas tank console or under the gas tank. You can loosen the front and rear bolts on the tank, raise and support the tank an 1" or so to run the wire or carefully loosen the tank console to fish the wire under it.

There are two methods you can use here to connect the Zumo hardwire:

a. Use two Harley part number 721191-94 Deutsch plug connector pins (very inexpensive) to attach to the Zumo hardwire, refer to pin numbers below, once crimped to the hardwire these pins easily snap in to the male part of the Deutsch plug. Harley service manuals have detailed instructions on how to deal with Deutsch plugs.

b. Purchase Harley part number 70264-94A to connect to the auxillary port Deutsch plug, this is a "Y" adapter with two plugs coming off it that plugs into the Harley harness. You can cut off one of the two "Y" plugs coming off this harness adapter then attach hardwire black to harness black, pin #1 is switched by the Ignition switch, pin#3 is switched by the Accessory switch, connect the red Zumo hardwire to either one, take your pick. FLHT model year wiring varies, you should verify your wire connections with a volt meter before making final connections here. Use small crimp butt connections to mate the wires.

NOTE:

a. If you decide to use this permanent hardwire approach You should consider using the "quick disconnect plug" described in paragraph B. 3. above otherwise removing the motorcycle cradle mount will be a chore if you have the hardwire connector screwed in.

b. I recommend using the Zumo hardwire 2 amp inline fuse if you connect to the auxillary power port.

6. CHROME WIRE TIES: If you use wire ties for the wires on your handle bar: most Harley dealers sell chrome colored wire tie wraps that look nicer than the usual black or white ones.

C. INSTALLING OPTIONAL GXM-30 XM ANTENNA

1. The XM antenna with it's magnetic base mounts and works properly on the top center of the Harley radio case under the fairing. Put a few dabs of silicone around the edge of the antenna to keep it from moving.

Run the antenna cable to the Zumo through the closest hadlebar opening to your mount.

D. GPS VOICE NAVIGATION HOOK-UP

1. Use the Harley radio handlebar switch to switch to the AUX input to hear the Zumo voice navigation instructions. While switched to AUX you will be able to hear your bike CB radio, Zumo's audio: navigation instructions, XM radio (if installed), MP3 player and cell phone Blue-Tooth connection.

To listen to the Harley radio: AM/FM, weather, XM radio and CD player you will have to switch the Zumo audio off with the handlebar radio switch and return to the Harley radio unless you implement additional hardware described in section F. below.

The Harley CB radio can be heard with the Aux switch in either position.

An audio patch cable like the one described below is required to hear the Zumo audio information.

2. The Zumo audio information comes out of a 3.5mm stereo jack on the left side of the motorcycle mount under the small rectangular rubber cover there.

This patch cable works very well to connect the Zumo audio navigation information from the GPS to the bike radio Aux input jack (covered by a small rubber plug on the front of the radio), part number SP-SPSC-7 from: Sound Professionals - Gold Plated 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) Right Angle Stereo Patch Cable This cable has nice right angle connectors and has gold plated ends.

NOTES:

a. The above cable is available in various lengths, get the one that seems right for your installation.

b. Using this patch cable will result in GPS navigation audio to all four speakers on your bike and nice looking right angle connectors going into the radio AUX input and Zumo cradle.

3. If You mount your cradle on the right handlebar the excess audio cable can be routed back thru the fairing handlebar opening on the right side, just use wire ties to secure any excess wire to the closest cable bundle you see under the fairing.

4. If you mount your cradle on the left handlebar it looks nicer if you route the audio cable thru the left side handle bar opening to the fairing and out the right side handlebar opening to connect to the radio AUX input.

E. ADDING AN OPTIONAL AUXILLARY INPUT JACK TO THE BACK OF THE HARLEY RADIO.

1. By adding this jack you can eliminate having the GPS audio connection on the front of your radio and route it to the back of the radio behind the fairing instead. This makes the overall installation a little cleaner but is a lot of work to do. Detailed procedure is here: "How To" Aux Input Jack Moved to Back of Radio

F. INTEGRATED AUDIO HOOK-UP:

If you have audio sources in addition to your Zumo such as a XM-Sirius radio/radar detector/cell phone/iPod/MP3 player etc. or headsets that you would like to integrate with your bike's radio system the following companies offer devices and setups for that purpose:

1. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFRG-HDC-ZMO550&PF=6

2. Tesseract Mobile Electronics

3. J&A Accessories

4. Cellset Motorcycle Audio Accesories

5. Mix-It 2

6. The AmpliRider

NOTE:

a. Kennedy (cellset) parts may not work properly if a headlight modulator is being used.

G. HARLEY DEALER NATIONAL POI LISTING

You can easily load all 900+ USA/Canada/Mexico Harley Dealer location POI's to your GPS unit.

There is also a POI listing for Harley Dealers in Europe available.

When you load the dealer POI database it will place a Harley logo on your map screen wherever there is a dealer although you will have to zoom in to .3 miles before you can see them. The POI database includes dealer street address and phone numbers.

You can set the GPS to alert you when you are within a pre-determined distance of any dealer (we used 5 miles, actually 5 miles plus 40' = 26,440 because 26,400' did not work for us). It will also give you a screen list of the 52 closest HD dealers to wherever you are at any given time, starting with the closest one. You can select any Harley Dealer on the screen or POI list and push the "Go" button and the GPS will route you directly to it. Fun stuff while on the road, don't want to miss those t-shirt opportunities.

The POI feature is a very valuable one and has many other good uses as well.

You can get the Garmin POI loader software along with a detailed description of what POI's are all about here: Garmin POI Loader

You can get the Harley Dealer POI database downloads from here: H-D Dealer POI's (just scroll down the page list to "Dealerships"). Just follow the README file directions for easy instructions on how to install.

Dave Hansen is the author of the USA/Canada/Mexico Harley Dealer POI database and will notify you when he updates it, he has been updating it a couple of times a year so far. You can get his email address from the README file part of his download. Many thanks to Dave for this valuable on-going work.

A WORD ABOUT SAFETY: If you are new to using a GPS on a motorcycle I would highly recommend that you practice using your Zumo in a 4 wheel vehicle before using it on the bike. It is very easy to get distracted by the GPS on your bike until you get some experience with it. Distractions while riding = VERY BAD NEWS...

Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveRindge
Dear Woodchuck,
Did you use the PPC-015 Powerlet harness? When I spoke to someone at Powerlet, he said that some Garmin units also needed the PPC-024, which is a short cable that has a right-angle mini-USB connector. That is, one connects the PPC-024 to the Garmin, then the PPC-015 to the PPC-024, and then the other end of the PPC-024 to the powerlet socket.
I have 2 NUVIs, a 350 and a 755t. I noticed that the AC charge cable for the 350 has a shorter male end on the mini USB than the 755t. The mini USB for the 350 fits into my 755t but isn't very tight and doesn't hold well. I wondered if this is related to the need for the PPC-024.

THanks for any info you can provide...
I talked to "Adam" at Powerlet who knows Harleys and was very helpful (1-877-752-7835).

I used a PKT-42 and specified Harley Davidson dresser. The "HD" kit provides a filler (thin black washer) for the cigarette lighter hole in the fairing since the Powerlet socket body has a smaller diameter than the standard cigarette lighter socket. The description of the harness on the invoice is "PKT 042 HD Replacement Socket Kit 60" harness". The harness was long enough to go from the battery, up through the right side wire chase under the tank, and across inside the fairing to the lighter location. The harness includes the Powerlet socket. When I installed the Powerlet, I taped off the ends of the cigarette lighter spade connections and secured them in the fairing.

If you talk with Powerlet (Adam), it looks like there's an easier and less expensive way to install a Powerlet socket in the fairing. The cigarette lighter could simply be replaced with the Powelet socket kit PSO-007, Low Profile Powelet Socket. You would have to ask them to supply a filler (black washer) with your order.

I went with Powelet because of their good reputation and I do think the connection is better than a cigarette lighter adapter. It also makes it easy to swap the GPS between bikes. I went with the harness to the battery because (1) I have heard of the Garmin 550 screen freezing when powered from a source switched through the ignition switch which requires a reset and (2) I wanted to eliminate the pig tail and plug the battery tender into the Powerlet.

For the Zumo 550, I got a PPC-020 cable with a PPL-004 Powerlet plug. The PPC-020 has the specific male connector for the Zumo cradle. I can't help you with the cable you need but it would be a cord with your specific GPS connector on one end and the Powerlet plug on the other. Adam could help you out. They will supply a cable to the length you specify. Get the PPL-004 because it's a 90 degree plug so there is no interference with the tank with the forks turned hard left.

I have been swapping the GPS around, removing it at stops where I can't keep my eye on it, and have been plugging in the battery tenders routinely. I am pleased with the quality of their products.

Hope this helps. Happy trails.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 PM
SteveRindge
Intermediate

Thanks much for the advice and info--very helpful!
I appreciate your help.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Wired mine into the two spare leads behind the headlight. They're common with the cigarette lighter, & all you have to do is add a couple of spade tips to the wire that came with your Zummo. The spade tips slip right into the covers on the existing wire. They're hot when the ignition is on so the Zummo comes on with the ignition.
Did the same, works great

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM
hawkip50
Intermediate

On my 09 Ultra I have the HD fairing mount and really like it. I hard wired the Zumo harness to the additional pig-tail wires behind the headlight. I hard wired the Zumo to my cigar lighter on my 07 Ultra and I found that if you had the Zumo on and used the cigar lighter it would blow the fuse which controls your speedometer also.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did mine direct to the battery ( yep w/ fuse) with two prong disconnect that also fits my battery tender.
G

Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Wired mine into the two spare leads behind the headlight. They're common with the cigarette lighter, & all you have to do is add a couple of spade tips to the wire that came with your Zummo. The spade tips slip right into the covers on the existing wire. They're hot when the ignition is on so the Zummo comes on with the ignition.
Anyone tell me what the these two spare leads look like on a 08 FLHR ?

I have the headlight out and only see one plug not being used, and it don't look right. They are orange and they are exposed male pin style....

FOUND IT - THANKS ANYWAY

Last edited by Afishinado; 08-14-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Answered question
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
mikesth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
+1 on this. You can also splice into the O/R wire on the Accessory switch under the fairing insert cap. It will not use the ACC switch but will switch off with the ignition.
Similar to what I did. The accessory is served by a O/R(switched hot) and O (out) and right next to the two orange wires is a black ground.

Black Zumo to Black and Red Fused Zumo to O/R and you are ready to go - no removal of anything other than the two star screws to route the wire access from down the left bar under the fairing insert cap and across to the back of the accessory switch - zip tie the slack and it is good to go in less than 20 minutes. Zumo will start with the ignition. I also routed the audio minipin cable in same manner and brought it up through the fairing insert cap grommet to plug to the head unit.

All-in-all a sano install in a short amount of time.

Quick Reply: How did you wire in your Zumo?