Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you wire in your Zumo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now Thats Cool!
I can do that.
I like the Anniversary Screen
Being that Im up here in Canada working, I guess I have to go to the hardware store for some tools today and git er done.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 on connecting in the headlight nacelle, very convenient with no need to run cable under the tank.

There is debate elsewhere on this site regarding wiring directly to the battery and the possibility of causing corrosion on the exposed cradle connections when the unit is not connected. Some say never while others have seen no problem what so ever. It all comes down to your choice.

As to securing the cradle I swapped the stock adjustment **** and screw with a stainless hex head and lock nut since once I got it positioned I’ve never needed to readjust it. Obviously this still doesn’t keep some creep from stealing it but it makes it more difficult.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM
RG-LEE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Wired mine into the two spare leads behind the headlight. They're common with the cigarette lighter, & all you have to do is add a couple of spade tips to the wire that came with your Zummo. The spade tips slip right into the covers on the existing wire. They're hot when the ignition is on so the Zummo comes on with the ignition.
The hookup to the headlight is a real clean installation. I'm happy with mine.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
I bought the HD Zumo 550 and it comes with all kinds of wire.
But I noticed that you cannot use the cig lighter power cord unless it's in the car craddle.
The bike craddle uses a plug into the craddle on one end and a hard wire to something on the other. Im using a ram mount on the bars.
It is long enough to make it to the battery I suppose.
Or I could use the back of the cig lighter or the headlight.

So where did you wire yours in?
Hey Rod,

If you don't like having your Zumo mounted on the vibrating bars, you can get a Kuryakyn fuel door mount. I hid all the wiring. Here's the thread . . . https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ble-wires.html Here's what it looks like . . .

Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a Powerlet harness from the battery to inside the batwing and replaced the cigarette lighter with a Powerlet outlet. Powerlet sells a Zuno cradle cable that plugs into the outlet. It has a 90 degree plug so there is good clearance with the tank with the forks cramped full left. I also have the same setup on my other bike with a Ram Mount on each bike.

The Zumo and the cradle can be quickly removed from the bike and stored in the TourPak for security. I also plug the battery tender into either bike through the Powerlet socket with an SAE adapter. Best of all, I can swap the cradle from one bike to the other.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
rides99fatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rocknrod
I bought the HD Zumo 550 and it comes with all kinds of wire.
But I noticed that you cannot use the cig lighter power cord unless it's in the car craddle.
The bike craddle uses a plug into the craddle on one end and a hard wire to something on the other. Im using a ram mount on the bars.
It is long enough to make it to the battery I suppose.
Or I could use the back of the cig lighter or the headlight.

So where did you wire yours in?
Over the years I've collected a bunch of car cell phone adapters. I found one that had an inline fuse so I pulled it apart and cut the Garmin power cord the length I needed it. I then soldered the cable onto the power contacts of the plug. I used some silicone sealant to hold the cable in place on the plastic housing so it couldn't be pulled out. Most phone chargers have a 5 volt output. So you can remove the circuit board used to regulate the voltage. In my case, this adapter had a red LED to show when power was on, so I kept it in the plastic shell just to light the LED.

So when I need the GPS, I just attach the unit to the ball mounted on my clutch bracket and velcro the wire to the handle bar and plug it into the cig lighter. I came up with this because I was leaving on a trip and didn't have time to pull the fairing off just to find power. I like this because there's no wires left behind when not using the GPS.

Ignore the red heat shrink, damn cat.

Attached Thumbnails How did you wire in your Zumo?-zumo-cig-power.jpg  

Last edited by rides99fatboy; 07-21-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Rick14221
Tourer

battery...cables under the fuel tank

Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 AM
lclement
Cruiser

I have a nuvi 205W and I would like to try and mount that instead of a Zumo lots less money. I think the tank mount would be the best option as it would not vibrate the crap out it… is it possible to mount a 205W like this?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rides99fatboy
Over the years I've collected a bunch of car cell phone adapters. I found one that had an inline fuse so I pulled it apart and cut the Garmin power cord the length I needed it. I then soldered the cable onto the power contacts of the plug. I used some silicone sealant to hold the cable in place on the plastic housing so it couldn't be pulled out. Most phone chargers have a 5 volt output. So you can remove the circuit board used to regulate the voltage. In my case, this adapter had a red LED to show when power was on, so I kept it in the plastic shell just to light the LED.

So when I need the GPS, I just attach the unit to the ball mounted on my clutch bracket and velcro the wire to the handle bar and plug it into the cig lighter. I came up with this because I was leaving on a trip and didn't have time to pull the fairing off just to find power. I like this because there's no wires left behind when not using the GPS.

Ignore the red heat shrink, damn cat.
Thats a good idea.
I wonder why they dont sell that unit?

Originally Posted by sifularson
Hey Rod,

If you don't like having your Zumo mounted on the vibrating bars, you can get a Kuryakyn fuel door mount. I hid all the wiring. Here's the thread . . . https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ble-wires.html Here's what it looks like . . .
Thats a clean install for sure.
But I have my cover all engraved and...

Last edited by rocknrod; 07-21-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
iunlocku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wired my Zumo to the spare switch on the dash so I can turn it on and off easily. Also if you have either a Tom Tom or Zumo sooner or later it will temp lock up or stalh on boot up. Usually turning it off by the switch on the unit does not reset it but removing the external power does. The switch allows me to do that with little fuss or removal from the cradle. This set up allows me to start the bike with out the Zumo having to boot up twice once when bike switched on and again after hitting the start button. Now I turn it on after I start the bike. Also if Zumo is annoying me with constant repeat of route instructions I turn it off till I'm past that section of the route. Turn it back on and it picks back up with your new location.

Quick Reply: How did you wire in your Zumo?