Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flhtp police model

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
jonandcheryl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flhtp police model

Thinking of buying a 2008 flhtp police bike. They are going for 14995 at the dealer here.Would like to know if anyone has experience with this model. What do you like about it and would you recommend it? I know it has the 103 motor but is there that much difference from stock? Do you like the air seat? Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM
56Maynard
Cruiser

Yeah I got one new a year and a half ago. Good bike (Tractor), good seat, push button coast to coast. I run it 80 miles a day between Tacoma and Seattle no problems.

103 dont mean anything on a Harley, a 250 ninja will run away from it like any other Harley. If you're buying a late model Harley, this is the one to get. Leave it stock.

Last edited by 56Maynard; 07-27-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
jpsexton
Cruiser

I couldn't be happier with mine. The air ride seat is awesome but I ultimately changed it out for a comfort stitch for riding two up. The 103 sounds killer with just slip ons! I think they have a little extra personality. Go for it, you won't regret it!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
CommanderTC
Cruiser

I love mine as well. I got rid of my air seat as soon as I could. It was very comfortable, but I hated sitting up that high and forward. A lot of guys wouldn't take for theirs or have anything else. Others who don't have an air seat try to find one. So, you may end up liking yours too. My C&C seat puts me down in the bike and back a little and I love it. I have put a lot of $$ in modifications in mine, but that has been the fun part - taking a cool cop bike and putting my own signature on it. In fact, I'm no where near done. Good luck with your choice.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's mine ('05), with a few mods, but still has a utilitarian look to it. I still see folks double checking the mirror when I get behind them...as they slow down to the speed limit. I had one guy at a stop light hastily put on his seat belt after he saw the "Sheriff" tags that still adorn the bags.

The air ride seat is reaaaally comfortable, but for me, put me up too high and aft (view ahead was at the top edge of the windshield, which is annoying as hell). A standard two-up touring seat fits just fine and an aftermarket tour pack can be added. However, the saddle bag lids on the cop bike do NOT clear a tour pack unless it is mounted up higher...about three inches above the radio mount plate rail. This also aligns the tour pack back rest bottom cushion with the top surface of the passenger seat.

These bikes are also typically just one owner, dealer maintained and kept in clean condition to pass muster. They also, however, will likely have been down a few times during training, pursuits and too many curb encounters during traffic stops. Check the crash guards for scrapes. Mine has them on both sides at the bottom corners but the rest of the bike is in excellent shape.

The 103 is certainly a good deal for more grunt, but it still ain't no speed bike. Mine has the 88 and does just fine. Still, plan on a real air cleaner upgrade, and better pipes to let it breathe as it should. These bikes are truly blank canvasses. The purchase price is just the price of admisssion.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't have the EG, I have the 2007 RK version. Air ride seat is way comfy, although a bit homely. I plan on changing mine out for a corbin. The 07's with ABS lose about half the capacity in the right side saddlebag. Not a concern on the 08's. 103 has significantly more low end grunt than the 88's, enough to really feel in in the seat of your pants. Feels like it runs a little hotter than the 88's, too. Oil cooler is standard on the police bikes.

Motor units are notoriously hard on clutches and brakes. Check the service records and expect to service either or both if it hasn't been done recently. 5th gear whines, just like all the 6 speed bikes. (doesn't bother me in the slightest)

Mine has several scrapes on the underside of the crash bars and primary cover, probably curb incidents.

Probably the best deals on late model HD's right now. Lots of 07's and 08's coming in off patrol right now, and deals can be found. Look around, and check ebay too.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

Two of the New Orleans metro dealers (Mike Bruno in Houma and Slidell & New Orleans HD)were selling 08 & 09 New Orleans PD lease turnins as cheap as 12K. All had the 103, ABS and oil cooler. As stated by others some were used hard and put up wet, but most had <15K miles. Most motor officers are very hard on brkaes and clutches. Worth looking into for the price. Fly in and ride home or ship it back.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

No substitute for cubic inches. Look for one with very low miles and clean as possible. I bought my 06 with only 1441 miles on it and not a scratch. Check ebay and this forums classified section for stuff to make the bike your own. I changed my bags to civilian ones, changed the seat, mufflers (stage 1), the windshield lexan (lightly smoked standard), put street glide rear shocks on it ($160 shipped off ebay), mirrors and some other cosmetic changes and now you wouldn't know it from a regular RK except for the red switches (that I kinda like) and the tach that says police road king on the mount. The bars are very comfortable so no need for a change there IMO. Overall I'm really happy with this bike.

Last edited by carpetride; 07-28-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
HDPursuit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After ridin rice for 25 years (1 scoot for 17) bought an 02 in 05. FLHTPI.
One thing I would check right away are the dreaded cam chain tensioners. Mine at 25000 where almost worn thru on the front. Andrews 26g's took care of that. I carry the tensioner on my key chain to warn other glide riders. I love this scoot, has more character. Mine is a quick change artist, 3 different seats, Badlander, Pillow Top w/rack or Solo seat. I like the Air but it does put you high and upfront. I use it now without the air cylinder, the rubber stops rest directly on the frame. Picked up the large tour pack, had to raise it an inch for the side bags to clear, LUV the hockey pucks.

Bike runs like a cop bike should, down the road I plan a big bore kit, would like to 'twist the wick' on a 103.
A partner of mine has a new RG with the 103 and on the entrance ramps, leaves me feeling I still have the kickstand down

When I got it the wife told me to get the bike I wanted cuz it was the gonna last the rest of my life. I made a bitchin decision.

Last edited by HDPursuit; 07-28-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
BigD64
Tourer

I have an 09 before that I had a 1995. I love it. I kept the air seat added a small Mustang Pillon, foot pegs, and gave it the Street Glide Treatment, low smoked windshield, SG turn signals, relocated license plate, only thing left to do is relocate the air tank for the seat. I want to remove the tour pack platform. I'm planning on adding a bracket to the bag guard and keeping the air tank there and covering it with a leather bag. I added V&H Basic Slip-ons, Fuelmoto Air, and a PC-V. It runs like a horse I've done 115 mph with a passenger and it could've done more and I weigh 250 lbs. The P models also have an oil cooler ans heavy duty charging system stock. I also added a Biketronics Sony stereo system. I love the Police models.

Quick Reply: flhtp police model