Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop / Harley catostrophic tire failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
thomas_remkus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

petemac:
I have 31k miles on my original Dunlop 402 front tire and around 16k on my second Dunlop 402 rear tire. First rear went to 15k. I also have 80k on my original Dunlop tires on my truck and they still look good.
You have some serious miles on those tires. Are you riding on golf courses!?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish I were retired and living on a golf course.

95% of my riding, both bike and truck, is on the interstate. Don't know if that helps or hurts tire wear. Guessing it helps.

Originally Posted by thomas_remkus
petemac:

You have some serious miles on those tires. Are you riding on golf courses!?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

allow a lawyer to get involved, and anything is possible. didn't you know that lawyers are legal prostitutes, they're out to screw somebody, and it's usually you.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 AM
BlackDenimBob
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraBrian
I just replaced my rear Dunlop D402 tire after 13,600 miles with another Dunlop D402.

I wish you guys would share your secret to getting this type mileage from Dunlops...at 9k my stock rear Dunlop was slick...not one burnout or slide...I do ride the twisties a lot but,since I am on the outside of the tires in curves,theoretically,that should make the center last even longer...

Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,538 Likes on 10,085 Posts

Just replaced stock rear tire on my '08.....16.7k miles and still had
some wear left in it.
With the heat of summer finally arriving here in eastern Maine, figured what remaining tread would fastly disappear after a couple lenghty road trips.

Constant checking of tire pressure seems to help longevity of the tires.....

Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The key to tire life: Constantly check your tire pressure...

Dunlops have been great on my 06 RK Classic for the 44,000 miles I've put on it. Great grip, great wet tread, and long life.

The Metzlers I've run wear out much faster because of their softer rubber. However, I've never restricted my riding because Dunlops didn't give me enough grip. I can drag and scape metal with the best of them!

Edmo

Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

How many of those bikes with bad tires were garage queens 5 to 8 years old with 1500 to 5000 mikes on them. Sudden deflation on a tubless tire? Sounds like tire rot to me. Sudden deflation on a tubes tire, dry rot and tube dry rot too!! And I agree we should all be checking our tire pressure. It even tells you in the owners manual to check it weekly, I think.
That said my last set of 402's had 18000 on them. The rear was shot but the front could have gone another 3 or 4 k. I swap them out together so I don't have to go back during riding season.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:36 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Oh please. You can tell by the self-serving language used in the "press release" that it's just some ambulance-chaser stirring the pot hoping drum up some business. And what a BIG surprise -- Unsafe Motorcycles.com is run by the same lawyer with links to his law firm! But he looks like a motorcycle expert with his day-glo suit and 2009 Hardly Sportster!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

Wait....IF he is riding a Sporty and it has Dunlops HE IS AT RISK!!!! Maybe he can get us some of that inflationary bail out money from Obama for new sneakers.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlackDenimBob
I wish you guys would share your secret to getting this type mileage from Dunlops...at 9k my stock rear Dunlop was slick...not one burnout or slide...I do ride the twisties a lot but,since I am on the outside of the tires in curves,theoretically,that should make the center last even longer...

I check the tires regularly and I use RideOn tire sealent. Its suppossed to balance the tires. Maybe that it. Also road conditions ie, road surface texture has alot to do with it I hear.

Quick Reply: Dunlop / Harley catostrophic tire failure