Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Ringing Sound… “Will somebody answer the damn phone?”

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine Ringing Sound… “Will somebody answer the damn phone?”

I have a 2011 RKC with a stock engine and 1700 miles. This is my first Harley and my first V-twin for that matter so I’m unfamiliar with the various engine sounds. Only in recently weeks I took my bike on some steep twisty, mountain roads since we’ve had weeks of summer-like weather in our area. On three separate instances I’ve experienced a startling sound from the engine when I make steep, mountain descents. So the conditions when I hear the sound are:
- engine is hot
- traveling at about 8,000’ elevation
- long, steep, twisty descent at 7-10% grade
- engine braking in 3rd gear

A ringing sound starts similar to an old-school telephone bell and persists even if I shift into 4th gear. The sound stops when grade becomes less steep, flat or I start to climb. I do not experience this sound during less steep descents or during any other driving situations at all.

The only time I have heard anything similar from the engine is if you ever rev the throttle to high RPM (in neutral). As you close the throttle you hear a very subtle ringing sound just as the engine revolutions begin to decrease. The sound I'm hearing is similar, but it’s sustained.

Has anyone else experienced something similar (especially other high-altitude riders)?

Is this ringing sound actually sustained “ping”?

Is this expected under these conditions?

Is this normal?

Am I exceeding what I can expect from HD’s engine for braking purposes and I should use my disc brakes instead (though relying only on disc brakes can be dangerous in twisty, mountain descents)?

If this is abnormal it’s very difficult to reproduce the problem for my dealer since it has only occurred on some rare stretches of road, far away from any HD dealer.

Thoughts and opinions from experienced HD owners would be very welcome.

Last edited by Nirvana; 10-19-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Pinging/detonation occurs during heavy load, don't see that happening under steep descent. I do a lot of high altitude riding and never have experienced this. Could it be a gremlin bell? Ha

The following users liked this post:
V-Twins & Bowties (08-10-2021)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
kuma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

higher octane fuel might help ???

Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmaier
Pinging/detonation occurs during heavy load, don't see that happening under steep descent. I do a lot of high altitude riding and never have experienced this. Could it be a gremlin bell? Ha
I did wonder what that gentle jingling was after I first installed my bell, but now I'm used to hearing it. This new ringing just isn't subtle in any way.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kuma
higher octane fuel might help ???
I use the highest octane available at the mainsteam gas stations in our area which is only 91, but bmaier suggests it isn't pinging that I'm hearing.

Last edited by Nirvana; 10-19-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Cornel
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like something is loose and it's rattling. I would do a through inspection of the entire bike. Don't just focus on the motor, check everywhere. It is not detonation if it sounds like a telephone bell and it happens under deceleration.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ringing could be a loose compensator bolt.....

Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2010 RKC and heard a very similar ringing from the right front. I'm pretty sure it was the front heat shield. Tighten up on the worm clamp, even if it already feels tight. Also check the wire spring clip for the detachable windshield. If it touches any of the nearby fork top trim, the buzzing will sound like a ring too. I did both fixes at the same time so I don't know which one worked but I'm pretty sure it was the heat shield.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I would also suggest the heat shields. If they touch any place on the pipe or muffler rather than maitaining a small gap, adjust it. I have heard heat shield rattles on numerous ocassions and they do sound like an older phone ringing! lol

Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Have you tried shutting down the engine during one of these descents (only when the roads are deserted, & not for very long) to see if it is engine related?

If that doesn't work--move to Florida. There ain't a hill in the whole state!

Quick Reply: Engine Ringing Sound… “Will somebody answer the damn phone?”